Strange/unexpected Moz references?

“Whereas Merchant was more dismissive of Radiohead, remarking: “It’s not something I ever play. Do I really need to hear Fake Plastic Trees one more time?” Before opting to go for The Smiths classic, Strangeways Here We Come, which incidentally is also one of Morrissey, Johnny Marr and David Bowie’s favourite Smiths album.”

Interesting, found out Last Night I Dreamt was Bowie’s favorite Smiths song.

Almost as good as Ferry... :rolleyes:

Morrissey Q 1992 (2).jpg

Seconded.

í think í know what nativism is. í definitely know what misogyny is. í've known Morrissey's Saint Anthony H. put-down for 30+ years. í obviously don't have the well-developed synapses to link all three terms. Cos í don't see any such themes in Morrissey's hyperbole. If anything, it's anti-pig...
{Plus, his point still stands, in terms of AHW's effect on Mancmusic}.

If anything, the Sainted Tone's jibe was misogynsistic or 'problematic'. Certainly if he had tweeted that out in 2021, Mr Wilson could quite easily have found himself cancelled as 'transphobic'. There is however no question of reading it as posh-degree-lad, commonplace, gentle, 'banter'... homophobia. And the notion that Morley can't read that, or can't accuse the Holy Tony of such, is laughable. Plus Factory was a factory of misogyny, not especially more so than every other '80s/'90s record company, but a bastion of bastards all the same.

I'm perplexed.

I think Morrissey was more hurt by it than Tony intended because he does seem to have struggled with gender dysphoria & his defense mechanism was to one up him (if I'm a woman in an ugly male body, your body is the shape of a pig) & then his usual stuff about death (killing, being killed, wanting to be killed, suicide or ageing).

Tony has a German grandfather but nearly the entire Morrissey/Dwyer clan is from Dublin.

Seconded.

í think í know what nativism is. í definitely know what misogyny is. í've known Morrissey's Saint Anthony H. put-down for 30+ years. í obviously don't have the well-developed synapses to link all three terms. Cos í don't see any such themes in Morrissey's hyperbole. If anything, it's anti-pig...
{Plus, his point still stands, in terms of AHW's effect on Mancmusic}.

If anything, the Sainted Tone's jibe was misogynsistic or 'problematic'. Certainly if he had tweeted that out in 2021, Mr Wilson could quite easily have found himself cancelled as 'transphobic'. There is however no question of reading it as posh-degree-lad, commonplace, gentle, 'banter'... homophobia. And the notion that Morley can't read that, or can't accuse the Holy Tony of such, is laughable. Plus Factory was a factory of misogyny, not especially more so than every other '80s/'90s record company, but a bastion of bastards all the same.

Yeah, I mean, sensitivities aside, I would definitely say (and have discussed it on here before) that Wilson's comment is 'objectively' more offensive (or, as you said, 'problematic') than Morrissey's comment could ever be, since his was simply a response to a comment that understandably upset him slightly.

I don't see how a statement that has nothing to do with women but only mentions men and pigs and is directed at a cis man can be misogynistic. It's so amazingly far-fetched.

Yeah, I mean, sensitivities aside, I would definitely say (and have discussed it on here before) that Wilson's comment is 'objectively' more offensive (or, as you said, 'problematic') than Morrissey's comment could ever be, since his was simply a response to a comment that understandably upset him slightly.

I don't see how a statement that has nothing to do with women but only mentions men and pigs and is directed at a cis man can be misogynistic. It's so amazingly far-fetched.
What do you mean "a cis man"? Do you mean "this man"?

What do you mean "a cis man"? Do you mean "this man"?

Not sure what this is about.
Appears to be a 20 minute discussion about The Smiths & Morrissey:

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom