Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Screenshot_20220120-030523~2.png

Testing a new iPlayer ripper on a random news show & an item about an 80's exhibition popped up.
FWD.

272180244_4994726423873533_3932666839667301109_n.webp.jpg

That's the most advertising this will get.
'Official' Central IG is doing enough of that for everyone.
FWD.

THE ASSOCIATES - Stephen, You're Really Something

A demo from the aborted 1993 reunion of Billy MacKenzie and Alan Rankine that 6 tracks of new MacKenzie/Rankine material had been completed. Retrospectively, the most musically startling and lyrically intriguing of these is undoubtedly the insistent glam rock of 'Steven, You're Still Really Something'. In the early 80s Billy had forged a fleeting friendship with Morrissey, which had allegedly ended with MacKenzie stealing a Jane Stein novel and a favourite shirt from the singer's Manchester flat. The music industry rumours that the two had enjoyed a brief affair were fuelled by the release of the Smiths' sixth single, 'William, It Was Really Nothing', in September 1984. If then, 'Steven, You're Still Really Something' is more than likely MacKenzie's response song, it is nothing if not likely affectionate, with even the vaguely threatening 'outing' line 'If I'm going down, I'll do you down with me' sweetened by the coupling 'And I loved the way you sent your poetry'... "

New source.
Regards,
FWD.

Screenshot_20220122-174744~2.png

Screenshot_20220122-174737~2.png

Thank you Soundsville.
Regards,
FWD.

Not sure about the vocal.
The instrumentation is what interested me.
Hasn't been covered often, so included here.
The Schoolboys:

(I appreciate the site could be filled up with the odd YT covers daily, but this stood out from the usual stuff).
FWD.

Interview at time of Morrissey leaving tour:

FWD.

Buffoon

For book fans, love him or hate him - Simon Reynolds' Bring the Noise: 20 Years of Writing about Hip Rock and Hip Hop features about 70+ Morrissey & 80+ Smiths mentions via collated interviews in amongst many other artists.
Worth a read - mentioned here as the book doesn't appear to have discussed on release.
📖➡️PM.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom