Technical question - You just haven't/Stretch out versions

M

Musician

Might have been addressed before.

About the two versions of "You just haven't earned it yet baby" and "Stretch out and wait".

According to Mozipedia, Morrissey was not satisfied with Porter's mix (too many overdubs) so it got re-mixed and this version became the B-side of "Shoplifters". According to Mozipedia, the remixed version is the one on "Louder than bombs" and the "World Won't Listen" version (single B-side) is the original. There is no info on "Stretch out", but to my ears both songs sound so much better on "World won't listen" - much better vocal deliveries, more enjoyable mixes. The "Louder" (and original single) versions sound more like demo recordings to me, the drums, the vocal effects...

Can't it be that the "World won't listen" ones are the remixed ones, and if so, who did those mixes?

I know there's two lyrical versions of Stretch Out..."All the lies that you make up..." and "On the high-rise estates..."

I know there's two lyrical versions of Stretch Out..."All the lies that you make up..." and "On the high-rise estates..."

Yes, but if you listen, the mix also sound very different. Each to his own, but like I wrote, the "World won't..." versions for both songs sound more....full, pro, i don't know. And for "You just haven't...", there is no lyrical change but i'm pretty sure it's a diferent vocal take by Morrissey, not just different mix.

Now that we talk about it, "The boy with the thorn" also differs from the "Queen is dead version". Listen closely...

Might have been addressed before.

About the two versions of "You just haven't earned it yet baby" and "Stretch out and wait".

According to Mozipedia, Morrissey was not satisfied with Porter's mix (too many overdubs) so it got re-mixed and this version became the B-side of "Shoplifters". According to Mozipedia, the remixed version is the one on "Louder than bombs" and the "World Won't Listen" version (single B-side) is the original. There is no info on "Stretch out", but to my ears both songs sound so much better on "World won't listen" - much better vocal deliveries, more enjoyable mixes. The "Louder" (and original single) versions sound more like demo recordings to me, the drums, the vocal effects...

Can't it be that the "World won't listen" ones are the remixed ones, and if so, who did those mixes?

Good question!
I had absolutely the same feeling about it.
I now think, for me, it has to do with listening to The World Won't Listen on vinyl and it being a favourite album of mine during Smiths time.
Those song versions seemed so much better on The World Won't Listen.
Louder Than Bombs I bought on CD.
But the other songs on that CD sound good to me, even if they are on CD.

Very strange detail, not relating to the subject, when I opened the sleeve of the vinyl album of The World Won't listen there was a promotional, commercially intended inlay paper by chipsproducer Smiths!
Now called Lays! It seemed they sponsored The Smiths because of their name.

Even more strange is that Moz told in an interview somewhere in a Dutch newspaper or magazine that he had a strange feeling about Holland. He didn't have any impression about his reception there. Something was bothering him the first and only time he played here with The Smiths. Don't know what.

And the first time he played there as solo artist with band in Utrecht he had some chips to nibble on and got an allergic reaction! He could put his tongue in his cheek but there was no visible difference without it. And as we know, this was and is essential to Moz. He didn't mention the brand name.
He still felt not good when doing the show in Utrecht.

Cheers, hope you receive and answer and me too.

Yes, but if you listen, the mix also sound very different. Each to his own, but like I wrote, the "World won't..." versions for both songs sound more....full, pro, i don't know. And for "You just haven't...", there is no lyrical change but i'm pretty sure it's a diferent vocal take by Morrissey, not just different mix.

Now that we talk about it, "The boy with the thorn" also differs from the "Queen is dead version". Listen closely...

The single version was recorded in August 1985 at Drone Studios in Manchester and mixed later in the month at RAK Studios in London (where the band also recorded the video). Morrissey and Johnny produced the recording, with Stephen Street as recording engineer.
After releasing it as a single, overdubs were added to it in October-November 1985 at Jacobs Studios in Farnham (Surrey) during the recording sessions for the album "The Queen Is Dead", to make it fit sonically with the rest of the material.

Loves and hates and Passions Just Like Mine...

This is my kind of thread! I wonder about different mixes and alternate takes. Stuff we will probably never know the answers to!
Apparently the version of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby was speeded up slightly. There used to be a slightly slowed down version on YouTube that sounded great.

This is my kind of thread! I wonder about different mixes and alternate takes. Stuff we will probably never know the answers to!
Apparently the version of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby was speeded up slightly. There used to be a slightly slowed down version on YouTube that sounded great.

The single B-side/Louder....version sounds tiny bit sped up for me. Also if we're at this subject, "Ask' is also sped up a bit, if you try to get the chords it's not in the usual tuning.

Originally YJHEIYB was sped up (which also heightened the pitch), but Johnny Marr returned it to it's original speed when he produced the remasters, so if you buy one of the new CDs you'll hear a slightly different version to the Rough Trade releases.

I'm cool with that change, but one thing which is a shame about the remasters is that the single mix of 'Boy With the Thorn' has been replaced on 'The World Won't Listen' with the 'Queen is Dead' version. It's a better mix, but I liked having both for some variety. I'm pretty sure that even on that video of the band miming on Top of the Pops, they've replaced the audio with the 'Queen is Dead' version, so the original one is pretty much erased from history now.

Originally YJHEIYB was sped up (which also heightened the pitch), but Johnny Marr returned it to it's original speed when he produced the remasters, so if you buy one of the new CDs you'll hear a slightly different version to the Rough Trade releases.

I'm cool with that change, but one thing which is a shame about the remasters is that the single mix of 'Boy With the Thorn' has been replaced on 'The World Won't Listen' with the 'Queen is Dead' version. It's a better mix, but I liked having both for some variety. I'm pretty sure that even on that video of the band miming on Top of the Pops, they've replaced the audio with the 'Queen is Dead' version, so the original one is pretty much erased from history now.

But I do hear a difference between the versions of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side on The Queen Is Dead and The World Won't Listen!
Mind you, I had the " World " on vinyl and the " Queen "on CD. So to speak.
Are you saying the single version is different and to you better sounding?
Cheers

But I do hear a difference between the versions of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side on The Queen Is Dead and The World Won't Listen!
Mind you, I had the " World " on vinyl and the " Queen "on CD. So to speak.
Are you saying the single version is different and to you better sounding?
Cheers

I think you might have misunderstood me - the versions of the song on 'The Queen is Dead' and 'The World Won't Listen' (which was the original single version) were different, on all the releases up until Johnny Marr's new remastered versions which came out in 2011. On these latest remasters, they both play the same 'Queen Is Dead' version. So it depends when your copy of 'The World Won't Listen' came out, as to what version is on the thing.

I'm not sure if Johnny replaced the single mix as he didn't like it, or just plain forgot there was a slightly different version on the compilation album in the first place. The differences are fairly subtle, and I didn't even realise they were different until several years after I owned both (original) albums!

Interesting - i haven't got the remasters, so I can only talk about the original "World Won't Listen".

I'm not sure if Johnny replaced the single mix as he didn't like it, or just plain forgot there was a slightly different version on the compilation album in the first place. The differences are fairly subtle, and I didn't even realise they were different until several years after I owned both (original) albums!

Additionally: i just checked the remastered albums on Spotify. You just haven't....is also replaced on "Louder"!

If you are interested in different mixes, there are also two versions of 'I Keep Mine Hidden' knocking around:
*Original 1987 mix:
*Completely different mix from the 'Complete' remasters boxset:

If you are interested in different mixes, there are also two versions of 'I Keep Mine Hidden' knocking around:
*Original 1987 mix:
*Completely different mix from the 'Complete' remasters boxset:

Well, I must say the remastered version is superior in every aspect!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Here's what you need to know. Reader advisoy: pretty nerdy and includes some minor myth-busting.

Stretch Out And Wait
Compared to the LTB version the TWWL version has a different vocal track, backing vocals, some effects on the vocals, a sound effect in places that sounds a bit like something being dragged across a tabletop, and a bit of extra studio noise at the end. Other than that, they are the same.

You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Contrary to what Johnny Marr has said, there is no new slowed-down version of this song. The version on LTB is sped up by about 1.63 percent, and has a slightly shorter outro. My guess is that this might have been done in order to fit LTB onto a single CD. However, the versions on TWWL and Sound of the Smiths/Complete are basically the same speed (SOTS/Complete is a tiny bit slower, but this is consistent with the remasters generally, which are based on a new digital transfer done at the time of The Very Best Of).

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
The version on TQID has been sped up by about 1.31 percent and remixed with the sythesised strings brought forward, or possibly re-recorded. There might also some minor overdubs, but it is hard to tell. The outro is slightly longer.

I Keep Mine Hidden
The version from Complete is a different mix with some of the guitar brought forward and some bits of guitar that are not heard on the GIAC version.

Last edited:
Here's what you need to know. Reader advisoy: pretty nerdy and includes some minor myth-busting.

Stretch Out And Wait
Compared to the LTB version the TWWL version has a different vocal track, backing vocals, some effects on the vocals, a sound effect in places that sounds a bit like something being dragged across a tabletop, and a bit of extra studio noise at the end. Other than that, they are the same.

You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Contrary to what Johnny Marr has said, there is no new slowed-down version of this song. The version on LTB is sped up by about 1.63 percent, and has a slightly shorter outro. My guess is that this might have been done in order to fit LTB onto a single CD. However, the versions on TWWL and Sound of the Smiths/Complete are basically the same speed (SOTS/Complete is a tiny bit slower, but this is consistent with the remasters generally, which are based on a new digital transfer done at the time of The Very Best Of).

The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
The version on TQID has been sped up by about 1.31 percent and remixed with the sythesised strings brought forward, or possibly re-recorded. There might also some minor overdubs, but it is hard to tell. The outro is slightly longer.

I Keep Mine Hidden
The version from Complete is a different mix with some of the guitar brought forward and some bits of guitar that are not heard on the GIAC version.

Fantastic, thank you. Hit me with nerd-ism any time :)

I still reckon LTB mix is different for You just haven't...but then can you or anyone with the original Shoplifters 12" conform if the actul B-side is the LTB or the other version?

Good question!
I had absolutely the same feeling about it.
I now think, for me, it has to do with listening to The World Won't Listen on vinyl and it being a favourite album of mine during Smiths time.
Those song versions seemed so much better on The World Won't Listen.
Louder Than Bombs I bought on CD.
But the other songs on that CD sound good to me, even if they are on CD.

Very strange detail, not relating to the subject, when I opened the sleeve of the vinyl album of The World Won't listen there was a promotional, commercially intended inlay paper by chipsproducer Smiths!
Now called Lays! It seemed they sponsored The Smiths because of their name.

Even more strange is that Moz told in an interview somewhere in a Dutch newspaper or magazine that he had a strange feeling about Holland. He didn't have any impression about his reception there. Something was bothering him the first and only time he played here with The Smiths. Don't know what.

And the first time he played there as solo artist with band in Utrecht he had some chips to nibble on and got an allergic reaction! He could put his tongue in his cheek but there was no visible difference without it. And as we know, this was and is essential to Moz. He didn't mention the brand name.
He still felt not good when doing the show in Utrecht.

Cheers, hope you receive and answer and me too.

Hello!
As far as the allergic reaction in Utrecht 19991 is concerned , I doudt about it. I was there (2nd row roughly)and Moz was fine and did an awesome show there . Don't believe the guy too much, especially with his world famous mail interviews with the press!

To be honest, I hadn't noticed just how radically different YJHEIJB was on the original The World Wont Listen and Louder Than Bombs albums until listening back to back. The mix on the original Louder Than Bombs is totally different to the one on The World Wont Listen. Less guitar overdubs, and lots of reverb swooshing about (eg: some backwards 'whoosh' comes swooping after the first "I'll tell you why", and Morrissey's voice totally farts out and distorts on the final note as there are so many effects on it).

I think it's this version that Johnny is talking about re varispeed etc, as on the new 2011 remastered 'Louder Than Bombs', that mix appears to have been completely replaced with the same one that's on 'The World Won't Listen'. As with 'The Boy With The Thorn' - it's by far the better version, but for completists it would have been nice to have both, so I guess the lesson is hang on to your old copies when you update to the new ones!

Fantastic, thank you. Hit me with nerd-ism any time :)

I still reckon LTB mix is different for You just haven't...but then can you or anyone with the original Shoplifters 12" conform if the actul B-side is the LTB or the other version?

The two versions of YJHEIYB are very, very slightly different mixes, but the main difference is the speed. Apart from that, you could listen to them a thousand times each and never notice the difference.

Back
Top Bottom