tell us about the last Film you saw

I saw Best offer by Giuseppe Tornatore with Geoffrey Rush. I think mr.Rush could entertain me watching him making copies on a copy machine for half a day, I don't know , he is so perfectly expressive. The movie was good nonetheless.

I just can't understand why he did the pirates of the carribean thing. It hurts me deeply, what a bad move....

High Fidelity. (2000). Starring John Cusack and Jack Black.

I bought this in a Charity store for GB £1.00. I had heard and read quite a bit about it since it was released ( mostly Great things, on various websites/magazine/word of mouth), and the book is also supposed to be excellent. I was not at all sure what to expect from it, but, being a long standing visitor and customer to UK "Indie" record stores for most of my life, I thought I may get some sort of enjoyment/retrospective "Feel" from it.

What I was most certainly NOT expecting was a film in which John Cusack whinges like an absolute gobshite all the way through it, about how bad his love life has been/is since he discovered "girls". So, we spend most of the film watching him( sometimes to Camera, as if I/we are in the same room with him) try to explain his past relationship disasters. In the meantime, he is splitting up/getting back with his latest ex, whilst simultaneously Banging an "about to make it big in the record biz" Black female artist. Oh, and he runs a record shop.

This record shop is an indie/obscure music fans idea of Utter Heaven, stock-wise, as not a single space of shelf or wall display has been taken up by a crap record. EVERY single album is a "Must-Have".
The staff of the shop are, indeed, pretty "true to life" characters ( in my pesonal experience anyway..), However, Jack Black excels himself in his role here, playing an Obnoxious, loud-mouthed, Know-it-all, insufferable self-important asshole ( Which, come to think of it, he plays in just about every movie I have ever saw him in..), and I would have happily punched his lights out if he EVER spoke to me the way he does to some of the customers in the store.

The person I was watching this with fell asleep about an hour in, and I turned it off soon after ( with about 30 mins to go...), and went to bed myself.
It is now the next day as I type, and my co-watcher has said it was "Boring", and that Jack Blacks character was, indeed a C#nt, and he didn't care how it ended.
I myself have absolutely NO intention of watching the last part...I just completely DID NOT CARE for a single character in it, or how it turns out in the end either...Oh, ..the movie did open with Cusack mentioning the Smiths, so I will finish this by also mentioning the Smiths....it said Nothing to me about my life.

P.S., I even watched the Unmistakable atrocity that is "The Dictator" to the end....which just shows how bad I thought High fidelity is....maybe it's just me, but it was, in Alexei Sayles immortal way of reviewing Films..."Shite".

ShotInTheDarkMP.jpg

I watched this when I was sick and high on cold medicine, while struggling to breathe and trying to stay away, but I loved every minute of it!

Poster%20-%20Bringing%20Up%20Baby_04.jpg

My favorite comedy at first sight....

being-there-movie-poster-1980-1020213899.jpg

They f***ed Peter good when they didn't give him an academy award for this. That scene where he's being harassed by the gang of young hooligans in the street and he pulls out his remote control trying to change the channel was brilliant. Heartbreaking, heartwarming, uncomfortable, intelligent and hilarious are all words I would use to describe Being There.

600full-the-good,-the-bad-and-the-ugly-poster.jpg

I thought this movie had too much hype about it, but now that I've watched it I completely understand and I feel that the hype is absolutely justified.

rear-window-poster.jpg

This movie made me forget the world and completely engulfed my mind.

North%20by%20Northwest%20(1959).jpg

North By Northwest f***ed my mind. I love it!

psycho-poster-1.jpg

Psycho is my favorite film of all time. It inspires me in ways I find hard to put into words.

^^^ Am going to watch it this afternoon.

How to Make Money Selling Drugs

Really well made and interesting documentary. Will appeal to both young and older folks. 4 of of 4 stars.

Tiny Furniture. Ugghhhhh.

It seriously felt like the movie was four and a half hours long, I kept checking the time on the stream. I find Girls entertaining too, maybe Dunham's work is best in 30 minute snippets or something.

I have a gripe about Netflix streaming, maybe someone else has experienced this.

Have you seen a movie on a list of recommend titles that was streamable, but if you SEARCH for the same title you have to get the disc? It's like if they know that you want it, they make it unavailable to you unless you buy a bigger plan? I don't get it.

Also...

I started watching Raising Arizona the other night. Got 2/3rds through and needed to sleep, waited a day and now today? Not streamable. What the hell?

lolita_kubrick_film_cover.jpg

I just finished watching Lolita. This movie was very upsetting. I hated every single character except the one my morals told me I should hate and it left me feeling devastated. I feel like the world is a harsh, ugly place and my mind won't stop spinning. Damn you, Kubrick.

I just finished watching Lolita. This movie was very upsetting. I hated every single character except the one my morals told me I should hate and it left me feeling devastated. I feel like the world is a harsh, ugly place and my mind won't stop spinning. Damn you, Kubrick.

You mean damn you Nabakov? :straightface:

Truman Show

800-truman-show-blu-ray8.jpg

Cheese, Glorious Cheese!

Heaven help me but I love these kinds of film:

There should be a Cheese, Glorious Cheese! film thread.

Not the last film I've seen but definitely my fave in recent memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

You mean damn you Nabakov? :straightface:

That would be like you telling her to congratulate King for the quality of Kubrick's 'The Shining'. :rolleyes:

dracula1931poster.jpg

My favorite of the universal monster movies (so far). It has a really creepy feel to the whole thing and Bela was amazing. I love him.

220px-The-Invisible-Man.jpg

Very amusing film. I wanted to c*** punt that bar maid, though.

220px-The-wolfman.jpg

My second favorite. Again, it could have something to do with Bela's cameo.

murder-by-death-poster.jpg

Hilarious. Also, Peter Seller's plays an asian man. Can't go wrong there.

rope+poster.jpg

This one was a real treat. It was very disturbing and the end scene with Jimmy Stewart gave me chills.

I watched The Piano yesterday. Love. Love the metaphor of the expressive coffin for the mute and the Maori zombies on the beach scene. Also love seeing baby Sookie. And Harvey "mah mind is seized on ye, Ada" Keitel. Swoon.

the-piano-01.png

rope+poster.jpg

This one was a real treat. It was very disturbing and the end scene with Jimmy Stewart gave me chills.

Rope is indeed a great movie. Are you at all familiar with the real story on which the film was based? More horrific than the movie...and true.

dracula1931poster.jpg

My favorite of the universal monster movies (so far). It has a really creepy feel to the whole thing and Bela was amazing. I love him.

220px-The-Invisible-Man.jpg

Very amusing film. I wanted to c*** punt that bar maid, though.

220px-The-wolfman.jpg

My second favorite. Again, it could have something to do with Bela's cameo.

murder-by-death-poster.jpg

Hilarious. Also, Peter Seller's plays an asian man. Can't go wrong there.

rope+poster.jpg

Hey, I watched all these too!

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom