tell us about the last Film you saw

I already watched it in Mubi.com. Great film, with the usual flaws about women et al. Losey knew how to make films indeed. I suspect the actress who played the role of the student wasn't a first choice. I'm not atracted by Bogarde at all, he reminds me of my cousin who is stupid but not a bad person. Stanley Baker reminds me of Joaquin Phoenix. He was a great actor and made a lot of films with Losey.
yes, she was unknown to me too. in the film she is an austrian princess but she looked italian. her job is to look pretty and not talk too much, so that the three male actors alone remain in the spotlight. i was a bit repelled by stanley baker, coz of his hairdo which reminded me of trump, but he sure was a great actor. some of the close - ups of bogarde showed a surprisingly acne-ridden, unhealthy skin under all the makeup. i dont know if this was intentional. otherwise, i find him quite handsome with his full hair and kissable mouth. strangely enough, it is the area between nose and mouth which is most interesting, though. i always look at that.
there is another losey on mubi.uk called the in-betweens. do you know it?

i found some youtube short film channels.

i watched one sci-fi post-apocalyptic featurette on omeleto yesterday: Short Films on Omeleto
interesting concept, but i fear that all films are commissional works. the unimaginative titles make me wonder whether the stories are computer generated.

this channel looks intersting. try it today: Short films on Short of the week

extremely interesting and well-done documentary from switzerland unfolding the history of yugoslavia

realism at its best. lots of metonymic story-telling by contemporary witnesses in order to evoke an idea of how the former yugoslawia was for its people. the hotel is a lost place, or a dead stranded whale, encapsulating all those memories and soon to be gone forever.

You have to watch this short film "garden party" !!!!!! (it's only 7 mins long)

and do you also think that the guy in the pool somehow looks like harvey weinstein?

yes, she was unknown to me too. in the film she is an austrian princess but she looked italian. her job is to look pretty and not talk too much, so that the three male actors alone remain in the spotlight. i was a bit repelled by stanley baker, coz of his hairdo which reminded me of trump, but he sure was a great actor. some of the close - ups of bogarde showed a surprisingly acne-ridden, unhealthy skin under all the makeup. i dont know if this was intentional. otherwise, i find him quite handsome with his full hair and kissable mouth. strangely enough, it is the area between nose and mouth which is most interesting, though. i always look at that.
there is another losey on mubi.uk called the in-betweens. do you know it?
Not yet!

great argentinian docu on what it means to grow up in argentinia being a girl.

lots of girlish "we belong together" giggling throughout but the insecurities and the embarassement break through nevertheless.
just wondered whether it is possible in argentinia to live your life and ignore the narrow standard expectations for "attractive/likeable women"?

NICE!

the short films on youtube's "short of the week" channel are simply fantastico!!

seems that nowadays it is in short films were all cinematic creativity can be found.

this one has a great story of time travel. solution not quite as convincing, but defo mind-boggling:

and this one is simply heart-warming. how to acquaint oneself with the idea of death, and even take revenge on those departed to find a way back into life:

amazing!

not sure what drove me into watching this 1989 2-and-a-half-hour film last night, but i did.
jacques rivette, "gang of 4".

it's a woman's film, about a bunch of young novice actresses in paris trying to improve their skills with the help of their teacher madame so and so, who owns this school. after almost an hour, the first man is allowed to enter this sacred space offered by this film and its director to allow these women to unfold their personality through acting.
his function is to contribute some mystery to the plot and bring in some dramatic emotion so that the women can improve their skills of expression and be more convincing.
the goal is, it seems, to adopt and perfectionize a double role.

the film is not that exciting or entertaining though, but it made me think a lot about the function of theatre, its relevance in the 21st century and how life experience can help to reach deeper into emotional spheres of ourselves that are usually avoided for good reasons.

watching theatre plays regularly can help to learn to distance oneself from the everyday dramas of other people and thus save energy and probably even have a laugh about their follies. in contrast, the cinema tries to draw you all in. it also helps you to notice authentic acting, especially when the actor or actress is able to lower the castle gate to the character, i.e. digging deep into the layers of human experience that we all share, which makes you feel like "oh yes, this could be me, actually."

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished Unorthodox. Don't take a shot everytime someone cries, you'll be on the floor.

Another great short film, from tunisia

The patriarchal world of a tunisian sheep farmer and his family is shaken up after the eldest son returns from syria and brings a mysterious woman (teenager) with him. The enforced halal slaughter at the beginning shows that some patriarchal values of this society are slowly losing power.

Pietro marcello, la bocca de lupo

I watched it with engl subs.
A film about working class masculinity in italy, and about this one couple, a guy and his trans friend, who found a way out of it.
The imagery and music all evoke an idea of what it means to be caught up emotionally in this highly masculine world: heavy steel, rocks, mining, dirt, trains, supported also by historical footage, all very powerful but somehow emotionally impotent. It's a prison.

Some men have turned into the material they have worked with for decades. Hard physical work, loneliness caused by exhaustion, poverty, prison sentences, but also drugs and alcohol turn these men into human rocks unable to relate to women any longer, even though the desire is still there. In such circumstances building up a relationship with trans men is probably the only way out of this dilemma.

The film is pretty rough but also very intimate. The way the story is narrated through different voices in the off, that often are only loosely connected to the images, interviews, etc., i found a bit confusing. But it all adds up nicely to the impression we get of the main character's emotional world, as he cant talk that much any longer.

in case you got all interested in this post-antibiotic thing all of a sudden, here is a short film i watched on "omeleto" recently.

the viral apocalypse experienced by a bunch of privileged norwegian teens.
short film: apocalypse norway

nicely built atmosphere, but too many hackneyed ideas takes from b-horror movies. not that exciting. lacks the scientific background which would make it more interesting.

a juvenile fassbinder film about the underlying brutal aggression in the caged petit bourgeois male from 1970.
why did mr. r run amok?

still runs on mubi canada. the younger generation of the 1970s is even more old-fashioned and reactionary than their parents, it seems. mr r. hates it when especially women talk non-stop about their libertine life style.

so happy that i watched "the go-between" by joseph losey with the magnificent julie christie.

the perfect film for a lazy and leisurely saturday afternoon, birds singing and the sun warming up a bit.
aristocratic country outings, with picknicks, swimming parties at the private lake, cricket and croquet matches, afternoon teas, the odd rainfall... a little bit of snobbery, but after after all, the world is still intact, the land is ours, and the farm hands work for us under the glaring sun, they know how to pronounce "apotheosis", lots of servants around the house, cultivated conversations about nothing at all.

liked this much better than "accident". nicely laid out story line. no urban shit.

i feel privileged but also closely observed in my viewing habits in a way coz i got a personal invitation by mubi to watch an exclusive pre-streaming, only for the powerful and entitled chosen ones, like me, of pablo larrain's latest movie "ema" from 2019.
@countthree , did you get such an invitation too?
i watched two of his movies so far, "el club" and "tony manero" which i liked quite a lot. and yes, if it wasnt for mubi, i wouldve never discovered him. i wonder which selection criteria are decisive here. :confused:
i think, i will have to rate some of the movies i actually would never watch, so as to blur my user profile a bit.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom