tell us about the last Film you saw

Francois Ozon - Under the Sand (2000)

I was secretly hoping for a murder mystery, but it turned out to be a psycho thriller about a woman whose husband does not return from a swim in the ocean. People's opinions and facts are clashing, while she tries not to get mad, but can't help imagining he is still around.
Togetherness is presented as loneliness, as this woman, Charlotte Rampling, clearly prefers her imagination to supersede reality, in whatever she does. When her husband is gone all of a sudden, her loneliness becomes very apparant, and that her husband was the only anchor she had in the real world, a role he dutifully played without much interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Macbeth - William Oldroyd (2016)

A period drama with Florence Pugh as a married woman in chains who, with the help of a farm hand, liberates herself from all oppressors. Unlike Lady Macbeth, she is not going mad at the end. And there were other refreshing moments. The sexual relationship with Sebastian the farm hand didn't really convince me, two entangled earthworms, whose job was to prove that there is no true liberation without a sexual liberation (in a man's world).
I liked the murder scenes and how they got rid of the two patriarchs. A bit of Wuthering Heights here and there, but definitely no Hitchcock, as some critics claimed.
While watching the film, I thought that Shakespeare, when writing Macbeth, and depicting the Macbeths as a married couple that kill King Duncan, actually must have taken inspiration from a married woman and her lover killing the husband.

Smash his Camera - Leon Gast (2010)

Entertaining but also disturbing film about the paparazzo Ron Galella and his obsession with Jackie Onassis. When you look at this man, you see someone of Italian origin, who is bribing celebrities in mafia-style, and then playing it cute, like only Italians can. I guess that this is the reason why there are also voices in the film that are supporting him. The documentary presents the paparazzo as a modern hunter-gatherer, whose meaning in life and source of energy derives from hunting down celebrities and then gathering their photographs.
The film addresses a lot of other issues, like the importance of the studio system in Hollywood for the emergence of a star culture, the love-hate relationships that emerge as a consequence, and most of all the ephemeral nature of icons. They are mostly a generational phenomenon.

This film takes place in an authoritarian French country of the future (or Canada?). The young man who becomes a hero ends up in an internal conflict as his parents are declared enemies of the state.
The other conflict I see is externalized and takes place within the older parental generation, divided by ideology.

The authoritarian state calls itself a democracy and legitimizes itself based on the promise of providing security and safety. Oh France, you shouldn't have given Omacron a carte blanche to lead you into this surveillance hell of the future.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom