tell us about the last Film you saw

good_hair_chris_rock.bmp

I'm halfway through Chris Rock's documentary on black hair. It's fascinating and very well done. I just took a break and Rev Al Sharpton was ranting how unbalanced it is that the Koreans and Chinese are making major bucks producing and selling the products that straighten their hair while they themselves have the straightest, blackest hair of all, that black men should be making money off of black hair. It's all very interesting, the science of beauty.

The Devil Came On Horseback. I found the narrator a little dull but this is a very worthwhile movie to watch.

I don't know if anyone reads this thread, but you should save your money if you were planning to see Black Swan in the theaters.

It's hard to get motivated to go to the movies anymore, but I did make plans with my significant other to see True Grit tonight. That's because the Coen brothers are one of the few American filmmakers going who still know how to make a decent movie. But, we got caught up in some other things, we were running late, and we had to pick something else. And, unfortunately, it turned out to be Black Swan. I'd have preferred taking a chance one of the other dubious Hollywood offerings, but Black Swan did have a much-talked-about cunnilingus scene involving Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman going for it, so I didn't make a big argument out of it.

I guess everyone's talking about that scene because there's not much else to say about the movie. It's a bore, and you know where it's going from the beginning. It's amazing that this is an awards show nominee in all the big categories, but then again, I guess that's related to why I didn't see many new releases in 2010.

Black Swan was genius.

220px-Catfish_film.jpg

Catfish

I won't give away any of the details of this very strange documentary, you have to see it for yourself. The truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. See it.

As I have been with my girlfriend, I sat throught Bridget Jones, 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up....I guess they weren't too bad

Black Swan

A surprisingly old-fashioned suspense/horror film that goes way over the top. Then again, its focus is the ballet, the most physically demanding and (in my opinion) the most beautiful of all the classical art forms.

It was intelligently filmed and very well acted, and ultimately I think it captured something of what it is to be driven mad in pursuit of perfection. Aronofsky did a great job balancing the unavoidable clichés with real emotional insight.

It's Turning Point meets What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

I loved it. :thumb:

After.life. It was awful. I want my 90 minutes back. At least I made progress on my jigsaw puzzle.
:lbf:

I Netflixed this recently while delirious with a fever. From what I remember it was awful, but I was too far gone to pay it any serious attention (which is probably all for the best).

Black Swan

A surprisingly old-fashioned suspense/horror film that goes way over the top. Then again, its focus is the ballet, the most physically demanding and (in my opinion) the most beautiful of all the classical art forms.

It was intelligently filmed and very well acted, and ultimately I think it captured something of what it is to be driven mad in pursuit of perfection. Aronofsky did a great job balancing the unavoidable clichés with real emotional insight.

It's Turning Point meets What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

I loved it. :thumb:

Agree. It was surprisingly old-fashioned, and I mean that in a very good way.

Heard True Grit was quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing The King's Speech and Sofia Coppola's Somewhere.

Heard True Grit was quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing The King's Speech and Sofia Coppola's Somewhere.

Just saw The King's Speech last night: it was an enjoyable and uplifting film suitable for the whole family. A very good job all around, but just a wee bit dull. Still, count me in the "I'd watch Colin Firth read the phonebook" camp.

Just saw The King's Speech last night: it was an enjoyable and uplifting film suitable for the whole family. A very good job all around, but just a wee bit dull. Still, count me in the "I'd watch Colin Firth read the phonebook" camp.

My regard for him, although estimable, is insufficient to motivate me to see that film. Any sort of lionization of that family rankles me. :o

My regard for him, although estimable, is insufficient to motivate me to see that film. Any sort of lionization of that family rankles me. :o

Yes, I was thinking of that as I was watching: the film really did glorify the royal family, and made Bertie out to be the "strong" one. I'm American, and so perhaps unqualified to comment, but I was always under the impression that Bertie was a bit lackluster, and it was Elizabeth who had the real backbone.

Nonetheless, it was an incredible moment in history, and a story worth telling.

Anyone seen 'Jack Goes Boating'? It's not been released in UK yet but I'm interested to see if Seymour Hoffman can direct. Oh and while on him did anyone see 'Synecdoche, New York'? Would recommend.

I watched Carlito's Way earlier. :gun: Gangster film starring Al Pacino and Sean Penn, who is absolutely brilliant in it

Not a film exactly, but the other day I bought the DVD of comedian Richard Herring's recent show, Hitler Moustache. I'd wanted to see the show when he came to Norwich in April, but sadly it sold out, so I got the DVD and watched it last night.

richard-herring-hitler-moustache-28064931.jpeg

For those of you that don't know, the initial premise was to reclaim the toothbrush moustache for comedy, on the basis that 'Charlie Chaplin had it first', and also to explore the associations it now has with fascism. The whole concept developed into quite a major, controversial project, and the focus was later extended to how we respond to prejudice and judgement. It was fascinating to watch; as well as being very funny, it's also an extremely thought-provoking and deeply intelligent show, and I would urge anyone to go out and buy the DVD. This was my first experience of Richard Herring's work, but I shall be seeking out more by him from now on. :)

Oh, and I also saw Little Fockers on Friday. Despite all the bad reviews I'd read of it, it was actually pretty funny. Nothing groundbreaking, and of course it was peurile and silly in places, but it was all well-executed and therefore surprisingly enjoyable.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom