The all things 80s Thread

The Cure, Depeche Mode and REM.

The+Specials+000_8151.jpg

article-1192974-0557AF01000005DC-629_468x707.jpg

An-American-Werewolf-in-London.jpg

_44227383_youngones2_bbcpicgall.jpg

Pixies.jpg

I had such a love for Adam Ant . That look was so ........ :bow: Did the Jack Sparrow character in the Disney movies steal from it.

RobotechTitle1985.jpg

my fave show in middle school
& as for the music some of the music I listened to a lot of back in the day
(other than The Smiths and many of the above bands posted by others)
there was:
tumblr_mefuiveV9k1rc0aqfo1_500.jpg

of course, they were broke up by the time I got it into their music :rolleyes:
falco.jpg

he helped me learn German, no really :eek:
and by the end of the decade, my love for
Roxette+3a7f1ab0f0bb2.jpg

this band :blushing: drew the most of looks of disdain from my mostly "weirdo" friends :cool:

Last edited:
80's Howie.png underrated St. Elsewhere.jpg

80's Howie. His St. Elsewhere days.

freaky howie.jpg

the current version of Howie

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose my love for TV started in the 80s, but its taken me a minute to remember which shows I almost never missed:
Wwod_open.jpg

at the start of the decade I was still young enough to enjoy most of what they put up every Sunday night on channel 7(ABC)
often seeing old Disney classics for the first time this way
TIHcredits.jpg

being a kid from a broken home & with anger issues, this show, kind of, spoke to my soul, you know?
when it was canceled, I defo got mad!
Dukes_of_Hazzard.jpg

every Friday? night me and my next door neighbor, Cindy, were allowed to go downstairs together and watch this show with our old lady neighbor who lived on the first floor
looking back now, I suppose those were the first "dates" I went on
Fantasy_Island_title_screen.jpg

there was a kind of morality to this show that one absorbed just by watching it, sadly, unlike on "Fantasy Island"
in the real world, rarely are the good rewarded or do the wicked reform their ways
RemingtonSteeleLogo.jpg

I have been unconsciously, and largely unsuccessfully, copying the mannerisms, style and even some the sayings uttered by this suave, sophisticated TV detective
Magnum_P.I..jpg

back in the day, my father had a passing resemblance to Tom Selleck, I even remember somebody thinking he was him in the airport!
so needless to say, with a globe trotting "mercenary" engineer dad, this TV "hero" was one of my "surrogate fathers"*
Moonlighting.jpg

David Addison played by Bruce Willis was just so fun to watch, I loved this show unreservedly for most of the first 3 seasons
and have always found that when I think Bruce Willis is good in a film, its when some of the fun, wisecracking "David Addison" still shines through
and last but not least, my fave show when I was a kid in the 80s was:
A-Team-Logo.svg

everybody was great in it, and I still to this day, love it too when a plan come together**!

*=in the land of entertainment, as surrogate fathers go, nobody was more desirable to be your "fantasy dad" than Han Solo (Harrison Ford) of course
**=when I was older and came to appreciate a wonderful film like "Breakfast at Tiffany's" it was hard to not think of that guy as being a young Hannibal!

I suppose my love for TV started in the 80s, but its taken me a minute to remember which shows I almost never missed:
Wwod_open.jpg

at the start of the decade I was still young enough to enjoy most of what they put up every Sunday night on channel 7(ABC)
often seeing old Disney classics for the first time this way
TIHcredits.jpg

being a kid from a broken home & with anger issues, this show, kind of, spoke to my soul, you know?
when it was canceled, I defo got mad!
Dukes_of_Hazzard.jpg

every Friday? night me and my next door neighbor, Cindy, were allowed to go downstairs together and watch this show with our old lady neighbor who lived on the first floor
looking back now, I suppose those were the first "dates" I went on
Fantasy_Island_title_screen.jpg

there was a kind of morality to this show that one absorbed just by watching it, sadly, unlike on "Fantasy Island"
in the real world, rarely are the good rewarded or do the wicked reform their ways
RemingtonSteeleLogo.jpg

I have been unconsciously, and largely unsuccessfully, copying the mannerisms, style and even some the sayings uttered by this suave, sophisticated TV detective
Magnum_P.I..jpg

back in the day, my father had a passing resemblance to Tom Selleck, I even remember somebody thinking he was him in the airport!
so needless to say, with a globe trotting "mercenary" engineer dad, this TV "hero" was one of my "surrogate fathers"*
Moonlighting.jpg

David Addison played by Bruce Willis was just so fun to watch, I loved this show unreservedly for most of the first 3 seasons
and have always found that when I think Bruce Willis is good in a film, its when some of the fun, wisecracking "David Addison" still shines through
and last but not least, my fave show when I was a kid in the 80s was:
A-Team-Logo.svg

everybody was great in it, and I still to this day, love it too when a plan come together**!

*=in the land of entertainment, as surrogate fathers go, nobody was more desirable to be your "fantasy dad" than Han Solo (Harrison Ford) of course
**=when I was older and came to appreciate a wonderful film like "Breakfast at Tiffany's" it was hard to not think of that guy as being a young Hannibal!

Good pick with "Magnum P.I" Robby. That's one of my 6 or 7 favorite shows of all-time. An underrated show. The writing for the series was excellent. Both John Hillerman (Higgins) & Tom Selleck (Magnum) were terrific in this show. And I love shows that master drama & comedy (i.e.'s, M*A*S*H and All in the Family), and this is definitely one of those shows. Plus the show being filmed in magnificent Hawaii was another plus! And they usually had great guest stars. Sadly, they don't make shows like this anymore.

And I too used to watch "Fantasy Island" when I was young. I havent seen it since but I remember it. Ricardo Montalbahn was "Mahvelous" as Mr. Roarke. He really was.

A few other great 80's shows-

Cheers!.jpg The Fall Guy.jpg

"The Fall Guy" is pretty cheesy looking back on it but I never missed an episode.

-didn't include "M*A*S*H" because it spent most of its time in the 70's.

Good pick with "Magnum P.I" Robby. That's one of my 6 or 7 favorite shows of all-time. An underrated show. The writing for the series was excellent. Both John Hillerman (Higgins) & Tom Selleck (Magnum) were terrific in this show. And I love shows that master drama & comedy (i.e.'s, M*A*S*H and All in the Family), and this is definitely one of those shows. Plus the show being filmed in magnificent Hawaii was another plus! And they usually had great guest stars. Sadly, they don't make shows like this anymore.
s
And I too used to watch "Fantasy Island" when I was young. I havent seen it since but I remember it. Ricardo Montalbahn was "Mahvelous" as Mr. Roarke. He really was.

A few other great 80's shows-

View attachment 15471 View attachment 15472

"The Fall Guy" is pretty cheesy looking back on it but I never missed an episode.

-didn't include "M*A*S*H" because it spent most of its time in the 70's.
I remember "The Fall Guy" it had that unforgettable theme song sang by Lee Majors :guitar: and Heather Thomas was very easy on the eyes :blushing:
and yeah, Cheers and MASH were half hour comedies I watched a lot of, in addition to:
Night Court, Family Ties, Different Strokes, ALF, Square Pegs and a show few remember:
sledge_hammer-show.jpg

:p

I remember "The Fall Guy" it had that unforgettable theme song sang by Lee Majors :guitar: and Heather Thomas was very easy on the eyes :blushing:
and yeah, Cheers and MASH were half hour comedies I watched a lot of, in addition to:
Night Court, Family Ties, Different Strokes, ALF, Square Pegs and a show few remember:
sledge_hammer-show.jpg

:p

I used to watch "Sledgehammer" too! A funny show that was in the style of "Police Squad." I had all the episodes on VHS and loaned them to a co-worker named Quincy. Shortly after that he quit the job and I never saw him again, or my "Sledgehammer" tape.:( And I liked watching "Night Court" and "Different Strokes" too. Also "Taxi" and "WKRP in Cincinnati" which both began in the 70's. Both really good shows.

And I forgot about "The Fall Guy" theme song, sung by Lee Majors. That was a classic! And I agree Heather Thomas was easy on the eyes!

View attachment 15478

Damn, I forgot how hot she was!

-The vocals on this song are phenomenal!! Some of the best I've ever heard. Cindy Wilson & Kate Pierson sing in unison throughout most of the song.

"Topaz" by The B-52's

Cindy.png kate.jpg

Cindy & Kate

-Nile Rodgers (of Chic) plays lead guitar on this track. He also produced the song.

Attachments

• kate 2.jpg
    kate 2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 2
"Jennifer Ever" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-song starts playing at the 6 second point.

-demo from 1988.

-D'Arcy & Jimmy Chamberlain (top) were aces at the photo shoot! I'm not sure what the heck Billy & James Iha were doing?

Couldn't get anymore 80's than this. I really fancied Nicole Eggert. I would only watch it just to watch her. A teenage crush on a TV star, I could write a song about that.

Why "Charles in Charge" wasn't showered with Emmy awards I'll never know:).

I like Willie Ames and I'm glad he's back on his feet again. He burned through all of his money and went homeless. He had some rough years. However, for the past couple of years he's been working on a cruise ship and loving it. I can't remember what his job is. I'm glad for him!

I always liked "Kate & Allie." My Mom & I watched it every week.

"Kate & Allie" (1984-1989)

The daughter of "Kate And Allie" was another teenage crush of mine. I had many crushes on TV actresses. Thanks for the information about Willie Justin. I never knew that happened to him. It is good to see that he's getting his life back. Fame and fortune has it's down side. Willie was in "Eight Is Enough" too if I remember correctly. I didn't have any crushes on the cast of "Eight Is Enough".

Ari Myers was the daughter on "Kate and Allie" who I faniced. I never knew she was half Porto Rican/Jewish. She was very cute, peite. Her character was quite intoverted so that's probably why I liked her. And the simple fact she's a brunette and I like brunettes!

ScreenHunter_931_Aug_28_18_24.jpg

Back
Top Bottom