Morrissey Central "THE BOYS IN THE BAND" (July 19, 2021)

The Morrissey Band line-up for the 5 upcoming Vegas concerts is

Jesse Tobias, guitar

Alain Whyte, guitar

Solomon Walker, bass

Gustavo Manzur, keyboards

Brendan Buckley, the drums

unnamed-1_kibsbp.jpg

Morrissey photographed in Las Vegas, 2004, by Linder Sterling.

Regards,
FWD.

Woh, you're right. You really have disillusioned me. I'm going to renounce all of my musical opinions, throw away the hundreds of songs I've written and knowledge about songwriting I've acquired over decades, and take a good long look in the mirror.
That seems to be a sound basis upon which to proceed.

Thanks to all for this delicious thread.

So many perspectives on the enigmatic Jessie Tobias.

I'm not sure why some people here are so vexed by his compositions. I think they are perfectly passable. There's usually a toe-tapping beat and the guitar sludge is clearly an aesthetic statement that it isn't necessary to strive for epochal innovation to keep The Smiths- Morrissey karaoke touring machine cashing in with the credulous. Kerching.

Most of Morrissey's 'solo' career is 'monkey at a typewriter' stuff, recycling his 'deceased genius' persona as part of The Smiths Collective.

He is now on the verge of his Las Vegas Panto In Perpetuity phase. It's mostly irrelevant what songs are trundled out by the various iterations of the Dad Rock With World Music Flourishes band: nobody goes to his shows expecting anything innovative. People pay to examine the enigma that is Thee Morrissey and, of course, the equally enigmatic JessieTobias.

BB

I'm not sure why some people here are so vexed by his compositions. I think they are perfectly passable. There's usually a toe-tapping beat and the guitar sludge is clearly an aesthetic statement that it isn't necessary to strive for epochal innovation to keep The Smiths- Morrissey karaoke touring machine cashing in with the credulous. Kerching.

Most of Morrissey's 'solo' career is 'monkey at a typewriter' stuff, recycling his 'deceased genius' persona as part of The Smiths Collective.

He is now on the verge of his Las Vegas Panto In Perpetuity phase. It's mostly irrelevant what songs are trundled out by the various iterations of the Dad Rock With World Music Flourishes band: nobody goes to his shows expecting anything innovative. People pay to examine the enigma that is Thee Morrissey and, of course, the equally enigmatic JessieTobias.

BB

Hugh, nice going 'liking' every single stupid post on the thread. i bet BGV is strutting like a
peacock at the homeless beach after your ratings(n)

will you be wearing a Liberace outfit when you inaugurate your music career?🧛‍♂️
:hammer:

BB
I think Jesse is great. He’s fun to hang out with.

Embarrassing confession time: when I saw this news title I was sure it was a lyric from a song. I could even hum it in my head. “…the boys in the band…”. Then I realised what I was thinking of was “…so he drove me home in the van…” - Lol.

I think over the past 5 years the 1988-97 solo songs performed would be something like:

Everyday is Like Sunday
Break Up the Family
Dial-a-Cliche
Suedehead
Hairdresser on Fire

The Last of the Famous International Playboys
At Amber
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Yes, I Am Blind
November Spawned a Monster

I've Changed My Plea to Guilty

Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Glamorous Glue
You're the One for Me, Fatty
You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
Jack the Ripper

The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Speedway
I Am Hated for Loving
Hold On to Your Friends
Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself

Sunny
Have-a-Go Merchant
Reader Meet Author

Alma Matters
Satan Rejected My Soul
Trouble Loves Me
It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small

Not bad and certainly a lot more deep cuts than most singers of his era perform.
45 minutes too long for anything Melvis can sputter.

Embarrassing confession time: when I saw this news title I was sure it was a lyric from a song. I could even hum it in my head. “…the boys in the band…”. Then I realised what I was thinking of was “…so he drove me home in the van…” - Lol.
Whereas I was thinking, 'she liked the boys in the band, she says that I’m her all-time favourite' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Which then reminded me of this.........................

Which made me remember this particular skit (the first time I ever saw Jim Carrey)

Which then led me down a hour-long 'In Living Color' rabbithole, LOL

P.S This show couldn't get made today.

Last edited:
There is a libertines song called boys in the band, maybe that’s it.

Or maybe it just refers to the members in his band ?

Nah, couldn’t be that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom