The dreadful state of UK ticket sales

I recently wrote a brief exploration of how drastically Morrissey's ticket sale figures have plummeted in the UK, with special attention given to the startlingly low sales for the upcoming Leeds gig.

With two weeks to go until the show, huge quantities of seats remain unsold in some of the best blocks in the venue while standing floor tickets also remain.

Full article can be seen online here.

1*LsogXWhUXkVhjvajZMKTgw.jpeg

That's a romantic interpretation of things, but it's not about 'pushing a different sound' or 'progressing along a path.' It's about burning bridges and having access to a smaller pool of lesser talent. No one worth a shit wants to work with Morrissey. Boz has been on autopilot for years and the other mooks are 3rd-tier session nobodies.
He's obviously comfortable working with his current team and being with people you can trust is obviously important to him. The new music does seem to have a simple electro Sparks-like influence, and remember Moz was into stuff like that.

I think too many people are pining for a past sound that he churned out for years. Let's see what the new album sounds like as a whole. You may be impressed.

For a troll comment, this is kind of spot on.
I don't think the low ticket sales have anything to do with his weird comments on sexual predators, or his politic beliefs. It's the simple fact that he tours constantly and seeing Morrissey live is about as common as going to the cinema. .

It's not spot on at all. Let me spell out something very clearly for you (that many others also struggle to understand). The Morrissey UK arena tour of February and March 2018 was the MOST SUCCESSFUL TOUR HE'S EVER DONE, SOLO OR SMITH. None of the factors listed has changed in the last two years. The band, the songwriting, the setlists. If anything he's toured less frequently than usual in the UK as we now have a two year gap since the previous shows. In April 2018 he urged everyone to vote for a far-right political party. By June 2018, his fanbase had begun to crumble as evidenced by the appalling sales for his subsequently cancelled summer tour.

For a troll comment, this is kind of spot on.

I don't think the low ticket sales have anything to do with his weird comments on sexual predators, or his politic beliefs. It's the simple fact that he tours constantly and seeing Morrissey live is about as common as going to the cinema.

Added to that, most people who have seen him in recent years know what to expect. A dull, lackluster set (with occasional flashes of greatness), clocking in at under 90 minutes, filled with songs we're all sick to death of (Paris, Munich Air, IYDLM,DLAM, HSIN, an onslought of covers, and anything off his past two albums).

If Morrissey went out of his way to make this tour special, by rewarding the fans who have stuck by him with a fresh, crowd-pleasing set, this would sell out in seconds. He would get great press and word of mouth and probably win back a lot of jaded fans. But we all know him too well, and realize that won't happen. Fool us once, shame on him, fool us 137+ times??

Facts are sometimes hard to accept, but the band (outside of Boz of course) sucks. His goon squad are incapable of writing good, solid Morrissey songs, and seem to have abandoned guitar rock all together. Morrissey desperately needs Alain Whyte's songwriting, his output has suffered greatly since his departure. Ideally, bring Alain back, sack Jesse, and Gustavo, and bring in Stephen Street to produce a new album (while also contributing a couple of songs). That's as likely as a Smiths reunion sadly.

And his quality control in all areas does indeed sucks. His no-talent, oxygen-thief of a nephew does his best to tarnish his uncle's image with his laughable album/single covers, and rank amateur blog posts that reak of a mid-90s internet presence.

Morrissey is an incredibly selfish performer, who values his new material to an absurd degree. It is to his detriment sadly, as he is doing himself no favors. If this is the way Morrissey goes out... with a whimper, it'll be sad indeed. He still has it in him to do a course correction, but all indicators point to that not happen.

I say this with no joy, or satisfaction, only disappointment in an artist I love.
The joyful and victorious Quarry tour feels like a hundred lifetimes ago. Energized performances, a renewed sense of purpose and superb setlists from start to finish. The atmosphere of every show was hopeful and exciting. A wonderful time to be a fan, though it didn't take long for the rot to set in. I remember by the time the Ringleader tour started up, things were already starting to feel sour. Picked up a bit towards the end when he was doing the long New York runs, but in general the focus was lost and it never really came back. I don't think I've seen a truly good Morrissey show since about 2007.

I just can't believe the number troll accounts that have been created &/or reactivated to support this opening post.

FGV is clearly someone on here.

There are tell tale writing styles & familiar points made, reminiscent of previous points raised by a certain individual in other posts. That person then vigorously flood-posts on here to promote & support his own work. Literary nepotism.

I find it shameful & embarrassing that I seemingly enjoy the same forum space as this person.

Surely not beyond the realms of possibility to 'out' the author is it?

Question is, do we actually need to do so?

If you are interested in who I am you can follow me, the author, here https://www.instagram.com/fatgayvegan/ or here https://twitter.com/FatGayVegan

My book can be purchased here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Gay-Vegan-Drink-Live/dp/184899351X

I have been using the name Fat Gay Vegan on this site for a while. Probably a few years. I used to have an old handle going back many years called 'readywith' but that became redundant and hasn't been used for a long time. They are the only two names I have ever posted under on this website.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Remember the cancelled German 15,000 capacity Arena tour of a few years ago with a 20,000 arena booked in Berlin. All cancelled.

This year the reasonable 4,000 capacity koln Palladium gig won't be sold out either.

It is back to year 2002 where he sold two Royal Albert Hall nights 2 x 5000 tickets and in fact the second night was full by 40% of people who had also attended the first night , there wasn't any problem ?

The actual situation will force him to re evaluate things, thinking twice before to speak, maybe changing a few musicians who don't fit in with his 1950-1970 musical culture (Gustavo, Jesse, the bassist) and just keep the brilliant drummer and Boz who is the only one who has got this background and who can replied to a request of him in a studio like boz do you remember this spooky effect on the voice of that single from year 1962 ;)

Moz is maybe going to change and follow the path of Charles Aznavour and become a realist torch singer with more drama, more theatrality, an alt rock male Edith Piaf. That's where he should belong now because the second song released ahead from the new album is terrible, he keeps on repeating constantly the same words & that gives headache.

There is a future for all of us. Morrissey's is going to be another adventure. He's such an interesting figure, he doesn't make things easy for him.

That said, a wise friend once told me when I was 12, don't trust an adult who is saying that he doesn't shag. I followed his advice and I have never understood those who don't have sex because their idol once stated a bullshit "Sex is boring really" whereas in private he had a boxer hunk lover at home. I always trusted Morrissey the singer of the Smiths but I've always read the intimate Moz solo interviews with a lot of distance. I am afraid a lot of people didn't and lost a lot of precious years of their lives

Does sold out still mean that all the tickets are sold?

If so, does that mean that if tickets are available, it is not sold out?

Bringing in Alain Whyte and Stephen Street would of course be heaven, but for all Moz's nostalgia and romantic nature he just doesn't like repeating the past. He keeps moving on, working with different people, pushing a different sound. He will never make music that sounds like The Smiths again, and working with Street and Whyte was the closest he's ever come to re-creating that old sound. Progressing along a path - for good or bad - seems important to Morrissey.
Great post and I completely agree with what you have stated here, I can now relate to something that you have posted .

These haters are hilarious. Every ticket left unsold they see as a personal victory.
And still they cling :lbf:

Where it was once love, it is now predominantly hatred, but Morrissey can still stir up a lot of emotions and bring people together. Believe me, the haters will be the last ones to leave.

If you are interested in who I am you can follow me, the author, here https://www.instagram.com/fatgayvegan/ or here https://twitter.com/FatGayVegan

My book can be purchased here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Gay-Vegan-Drink-Live/dp/184899351X

I have been using the name Fat Gay Vegan on this site for a while. Probably a few years. I used to have an old handle going back many years called 'readywith' but that became redundant and hasn't been used for a long time. They are the only two names I have ever posted under on this website.
Maybe you care to elaborate on why you chose to write a piece like this? You don’t know how many tickets have been sold and yet you present it as fact that ticket sales are poor.
Also what do you think about Morrissey-solo changing the title of your article?

Maybe you care to elaborate on why you chose to write a piece like this? You don’t know how many tickets have been sold and yet you present it as fact that ticket sales are poor.
Also what do you think about Morrissey-solo changing the title of your article?

I wrote the article because the subject matter interests me.

I used screen grabs to show how many tickets were remaining. I could see how many seats were remaining for the Leeds gig by looking at the seating map and in my opinion, there was a significant number of unsold tickets.

Morrissey-solo did not change the title of my article. I chose the title 'The dreadful state of UK ticket sales' when I loaded the post into the forum as I felt it best represented the situation.

I’ve been posting since ticket sales went live that sales are awful in the UK. This article successfully concludes what I have been told by a person involved in ticketing.

And of course, to all and sundry... its everyone else’s fault, apart from Morrissey.

Wake up people. The man is down a rabbit hole politically. Most of his fans have gone.

Great post and I completely agree with what you have stated here, I can now relate to something that you have posted .
A bit of advice: don't get yourself wound up when you hear a view contrary to your own. I actually seek out other people's opinions - no matter how far they are from my own. I find debate stimulating.

I wrote the article because the subject matter interests me.

I used screen grabs to show how many tickets were remaining. I could see how many seats were remaining for the Leeds gig by looking at the seating map and in my opinion, there was a significant number of unsold tickets.

Morrissey-solo did not change the title of my article. I chose the title 'The dreadful state of UK ticket sales' when I loaded the post into the forum as I felt it best represented the situation.

lol

your 15 mins of fame was to be a ass crack on morrissey solo.

you are the new hero of surface and skinny.

Will this book teach me how to get fat?

That's a romantic interpretation of things, but it's not about 'pushing a different sound' or 'progressing along a path.' It's about burning bridges and having access to a smaller pool of lesser talent. No one worth a shit wants to work with Morrissey. Boz has been on autopilot for years and the other mooks are 3rd-tier session nobodies.
I think Damon Albarn is worth more than a shit somehow. He wanted to work with Moz and Moz said NO.

And something else. Did Moz recently release a collaborative covers album with a whole host of stars or was I hallucinating?

I’ve been posting since ticket sales went live that sales are awful in the UK. This article successfully concludes what I have been told by a person involved in ticketing.

And of course, to all and sundry... its everyone else’s fault, apart from Morrissey.

Wake up people. The man is down a rabbit hole politically. Most of his fans have gone.
I repeat: Wembley is almost sold out.

Only just read your piece, gay vegan. I'm super critical of modern day morrissey, but there's some really shoddy stuff in there. First, Low in high school actually outsold World Peace with first week sales of 25000 instead of 18000, so it hasn't been a steady decline in album sales. Second, Morrissey's 2018 arena tour is the single most successful tour he has ever done in the uk, solo or Smith. So the idea that he's spent the last 10 years alienating fans is total bollocks, and saying as much is truly shit journalism. He's in big trouble now though - there's no doubting that. Urging people to vote for a far right party in April 2018 has been massively damaging. But your article is badly written and researched, and not worthy of being main page news. Shame on you. John.

Forget Leeds more shows in Los Angeles. London is dead, we look to Los Angeles

Bringing in Alain Whyte and Stephen Street would of course be heaven, but for all Moz's nostalgia and romantic nature he just doesn't like repeating the past. He keeps moving on, working with different people, pushing a different sound. He will never make music that sounds like The Smiths again, and working with Street and Whyte was the closest he's ever come to re-creating that old sound. Progressing along a path - for good or bad - seems important to Morrissey.

Nonsense. As someone else said, this is more an example of burning bridges than Morrissey "progressing." He wasn't pushing for a different sound when he walked away from Street, who made the criminal mistake of asking to be paid fairly as a producer and songwriter. Morrissey then languished with absolute nobodies and mediocre songs until landing a proper band in 1991.

Whyte also made the unpardonable offense of asking for more money for his contributions. His absence has hit hard in the past decade, and it's not because Morrissey decided to move forward, he just embraced the cheaper, easier options. I'm not sure what's more sad, Morrissey abandoning two of his most talented collaborators over money, or fans trying to spin these actions as deliberate, creative decisions. Give me a break.

I repeat: Wembley is almost sold out.
I’m confused about this; I was under the impression it was nearly sold out. But the image of seating in the article shows entire blocks empty. Is the entire venue not being used?

Tags
morrissey racism ticketmaster tour

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom