The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
I don't recognise that brown In Rock cover, not seen that before...the one I have is blue.
inrock.JPG

I think at the time DP were trying to gain ground, and be considered as credible as, or a serious contender to, Led Zeppelin who really were the kings of rock. DP had just re-jigged their line up to Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice, & this album was the first studio album recorded by the 'Mark II' line-up. Gillan was an incredible vocalist, & so was David Coverdale who joined them at some future point, replacing Gillan.

Any excuse to play this: proper music... ;)

Please play loudly.

Anyone who was around in the 70s - album covers like Deep Purple In Rock, at the time were they a joke or ego?

How seriously did rock stars take themselves before punk & Spinal Tap?
Not sure about how seriously Deep Purple took themselves, but their covers inspired quite a lot of parodies and homages...

In Rock cover Parodies

One of the records I purchased recently, the Galaxy one, seems to be an homage to Deep Purple's Fireball...

Fireball parody covers

ß.jpg

(No Smiths / Morrissey parodies on this page, btw.)

I don't recognise that brown In Rock cover, not seen that before...the one I have is blue.
View attachment 63217

I think at the time DP were trying to gain ground, and be considered as credible as, or a serious contender to, Led Zeppelin who really were the kings of rock. DP had just re-jigged their line up to Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice, & this album was the first studio album recorded by the 'Mark II' line-up. Gillan was an incredible vocalist, & so was David Coverdale who joined them at some future point, replacing Gillan.
The one I have here, with brown sky, is a 1970 special edition of the oldest German TV magazine Hörzu which had started their own record label in 1963 and mostly licensed hit records from the international big labels. They released three albums per month, and these could be ordered via the magazine. I am pretty sure that's how it got into my parents' possession. Production ended in the early 90s.

Serious fact:
In 1965 Hörzu had released Golden Boy by Elvis Presley without negotiating it with his management, so the album had to be withdrawn. A few copies had made it out into the open nevertheless, and are sold for a coppolla hundred bucks among collectors nowadays.

Second serious fact:
In 1971 Hörzu released the Beatles' Magic Mystery Tour as the first German release. This was the first stereo release of this album and appeared five years earlier than in Great Britain.

FINITO !

ß.2.jpg

The Kraftwerk LP was a pleasure to listen to, mostly because of the refined sound quality. Pure electronic music devoid of all (male?) (rock'n'roll?) self-pity, which I find highly enjoyable for a change.

As this is a 2020 limited coloured special release, it comes with some photographic artwork in 12" size. I like the idea, but the images are really paltry, as if someone had run out of ideas and had to fill the pages somehow.

u (2).jpg

FINITO No. 2 !

e.jpg

The kraut'n' progrock Grobschnitt LP was okay. It's from 1972 and was the band's first album. Lots of Santana-melodies and some longer wailing (virtuosic?) guitar solos as known from other rock bands of that time. Honestly, I am sick of these pitiful guitar solos, they are a trial of listeners' patience. But I guess, this was just fashionable back then.

I also listened to Kevin Morby's "Oh My God". It's an album for the quiet moments when you lie in bed with a hot water bottle on your belly waiting for the day to end soon, dear god, let it happen now...

t (2).jpg

Anything else? No, actually not. I am through. And tomorrow I will have to enter the corona hell again. When our politicians say that we should reduce our social contacts as much as possible, they only mean contacts in our private life. Job-wise there are no reductions at all, to the contrary: with so many co-workers in home-office, it's getting more and more each day, and no serious precautions (those that would cost money!) on their way let alone already taken.

I am sick of risking and sacrificing my health for the wellbeing of the economy!

I've got a bit of a vinyl oddity & no idea if it has any monetary value.
In the loft somewhere, I have Physical Graffiti by Led Zepp, which was released 1975...it's a double album as you may be aware. Disc 1 (sides 1 & 2) has the correct label on Swan Song, yet the 2nd disc (sides 3 & 4) are both labelled up as Pretty Things, and their Silk Torpedo album, also on Swan Song, which was released in 1974. Despite that, the music pressed onto the disc is Led Zepp (Physical Graffiti). Obviously some kind of mix up in production.

I've got a bit of a vinyl oddity & no idea if it has any monetary value.
In the loft somewhere, I have Physical Graffiti by Led Zepp, which was released 1975...it's a double album as you may be aware. Disc 1 (sides 1 & 2) has the correct label on Swan Song, yet the 2nd disc (sides 3 & 4) are both labelled up as Pretty Things, and their Silk Torpedo album, also on Swan Song, which was released in 1974. Despite that, the music pressed onto the disc is Led Zepp (Physical Graffiti). Obviously some kind of mix up in production.
I checked it out on discogs but among the 321 releases of that album, there wasnt, as far as I could see, any mention of a mislabelled one. Do you have a catalogue number of your release? I guess, things can quickly get messed up in the pressing factories, esp. when there are millions of copies waiting to be pressed and time is running out. Could happen, they actually ran out of the correct labels during the pressing process, and then they had to come up with some creative ideas.

I got a mislabelled Elvis record here. One side has the stereo label and the other the mono label with a different catalogue number. The record jacket says "stereo".

Are there any mislabelled Morrissey records?

I checked it out on discogs but among the 321 releases of that album, there wasnt, as far as I could see, any mention of a mislabelled one. Do you have a catalogue number of your release? I guess, things can quickly get messed up in the pressing factories, esp. when there are millions of copies waiting to be pressed and time is running out. Could happen, they actually ran out of the correct labels during the pressing process, and then they had to come up with some creative ideas.

I got a mislabelled Elvis record here. One side has the stereo label and the other the mono label with a different catalogue number. The record jacket says "stereo".

Are there any mislabelled Morrissey records?
Thanks for checking, but I have no idea of the cat. no.
I can't be arsed climbing up in the loft to find out.

Thanks for checking, but I have no idea of the cat. no.
I can't be arsed climbing up in the loft to find out.
Could be worth a coppolla thousand bucks by now, Mozmar. :brows:

But then, is it very hot up there in the summer?

Could be worth a coppolla thousand bucks by now, Mozmar. :brows:

But then, is it very hot up there in the summer?
Owing to decent insulation, the loft is fairly cool throughout the year, so it should be OK. I'll maybe get up there one day & seek out the album.

Not sure when/if there'll (ever) be time to wash and listen to this new batch of records. Maybe around Christmas, if I am still alive then.
t (3).jpg

t2.jpg

~~~
t1.jpg

All but the Patti Smith album were found in my mum's basement. Some were mine in the 80s, mostly purchased through my dad's book club catalogues. Each month something had to be ordered, or else we had to pay a fine, and often I was asked to pick a book or an album too. So, I remember Phil Collins, Status Quo and the Travelling Wilburys being sent by mail to our home. Not that I was particularly interested in them, but there was nothing more exciting on offer.
Johnny Cash was bought in Ireland, nobody knows how and when. Same with the Shadows, the Dixieland album and Joachim Witt. There is a second copy of the Shadows album, which is strange.

I bought the Patti Smith album, a Canadian copy, for 7 € in our second hand book store which is about to shut down around Christmas this year, as I learned. They consider themselves an antiquarian bookshop, suffering under the competitive pressure of online budget booksellers like momox, rebuy, etc., who pay only a few cents for albums or books and then resell them for a coppolla euros. Well, I remember that I sold some old albums to our "antiquarian" bookseller too a few years ago and only got one or two euros for albums which later turned out to be much more valuable, when I later saw these albums again in their crates for 12 or 15 euros each. They shouldnt complain so much.

I was trying to YouTube Red Sue & found nothing! But I did discover that popcorn can allegedly cause lung cancer. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom