The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
On a day like this...
d1.jpg

... with icy squalls reaching a velocity of 10 on the Beaufort scale, it is indeed healthier to stay at home and wash some records. I will do that in a minute. Meanwhile I am listening to ....
d3.jpg

... records I can relate to immediately. I was listening to Dog a lot during the first lockdown we had in April, with Spring on its way.

d2.jpg

The full-blooded and almost translucent ruby colour.

v1.jpg

This is gonna be the last batch of records for some time. There was a lot of bad alien Karma attached to one of the records I got, and it took me awhile to work through it. That's the problem with used vinyl. You can wash it as long as you want, other people's bad karma is much faster, especially when it gets into your home attached to material belongings. In this case, it will cling to the vinyl reluctantly and then, before you really notice, settle down in your mind.

The last batch came from seven different sources and one of them must have gone through a lot of unresolved calamities and sorrow. Not sure which one it was exactly, but boy, this was a heavy one, probably a great loss of some sorts.

It's more than obvious that it was Neil Diamond who caused all the karmic trouble ...
He is now in quarantine inside the twin windows at 4 degrees celsius to release the negative vibes of the late 80s. That's not a thing to be trifled with. Folks die of it.
q1.jpg

The karmatic emissions will later be aired out into the cold December night.

Tears were shed today because of the beauty brought to light by Lou Reed's Berlin album from 1973.
q2 (2).png

My fav Lou album so far. I like New York as well, but mostly for what it meant to me in the eighties.

The finale, especially the violins (or flutes?), of Sad Song, which is also the last song, was the drop that made the barrel spill over.

Rhythmically and instrumentally this album is much more varied than "Street Hassle", which makes it also more interesting. Sometimes the orchestral accompaniment is a bit too emphasized for my taste, for example when it sounds like a dance band of the 20s and 30s.

What I have here, is a 1976 repress on the orange RCA Victor label, which seems to be pretty rare. I got it for 6 euros, mostly because of the fat scratch on "Caroline Says pt. II", I think, which took me awhile to smooth out, but it continues to pop and crackle throughout side B.

q2.jpg

It's neither a good pressing nor a good copy, but for 6 euros I won't complain. Anyways, the album is growing fast on you because there is something inviting to the songs, or maybe it's Lou Reed's persona, I can relate to very easily. I felt like I had a neighbor around for tea.

This album is a rare accidental find waiting to be picked up from the futuristic skip the 21st century has already turned into. It addresses the listener on a human level and not as part of a target group that has been computed and defined by google analytics based on amazon or e-bay sales, which is the main problem with all modern music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tears were shed today because of the beauty brought to light by Lou Reed's Berlin album from 1973.
View attachment 67085

My fav Lou album so far. I like New York as well, but mostly for what it meant to me in the eighties.

The finale, especially the violins (or flutes?), of Sad Song, which is also the last song, was the drop that made the barrel spill over.

Rhythmically and instrumentally this album is much more varied than "Street Hassle", which makes it also more interesting. Sometimes the orchestral accompaniment is a bit too emphasized for my taste, for example when it sounds like a dance band of the 20s and 30s.

What I have here, is a 1976 repress on the orange RCA Victor label, which seems to be pretty rare. I got it for 6 euros, mostly because of the fat scratch on "Caroline Says pt. II", I think, which took me awhile to smooth out, but it continues to pop and crackle throughout side B.

View attachment 67086

It's neither a good pressing nor a good copy, but for 6 euros I won't complain. Anyways, the album is growing fast on you because there is something inviting to the songs, or maybe it's Lou Reed's persona, I can relate to very easily. I felt like I had a neighbor around for tea.

This album is a rare accidental find waiting to be picked up from the futuristic skip the 21st century has already turned into. It addresses the listener on a human level and not as part of a target group that has been computed and defined by google analytics based on amazon or e-bay sales, which is the main problem with all modern music.

First time you've heard Berlin?

View attachment 67085

View attachment 67086

Kinda seems like Berlin wasn't highly thought of upon it's release.
Folks were expectin' more of the stuff that Lou did with Transformer
and instead he gave'm somethin' different that they weren't ready for.
Seems like Lou had been waitin' to use Sad Song for some time.
Always liked the demo on that Velvets bonus disc.

I remember a long time ago walking up to the register at a small record shop with a copy of Patti Smith’s Horses and Berlin. The person working the register looked at me strangely and did seem genuinely concerned for my mental state.

:lbf::cool:

View attachment 67085

View attachment 67086

The string arrangements I believe were done by producer Bob Ezrin he also produced The Wall, if you would like more darkness then look no further.

Lou Reeds Berlin and his record from79 called The Bells are my favorite of his.

Followed by Street Hassle, Take No Prisoners, New York, Magic and Loss, and Transformer.

But this, one of his later songs, he never lost his touch ....

Paralyzed by hatred and a piss ugly soul
If he murdered his father, he thought he'd become whole
While listening at night to an old radio
Where they danced to the rock minuet
In the gay bars in the back of the bar
He consummated hatred on a cold sawdust floor
While the jukebox played backbeats, he sniffed coke off a jar
While they danced to a rock minuet
School was a waste, he was meant for the street
But school was the only way, the army could be beat
The two whores sucked his nipples 'til he came on their feet
As they danced to the rock minuet
He dreamt that his father was sunk to his knees
His leather belt tied so tight that it was hard to breathe
And the studs from his jacket were as cold as a breeze
As he danced to a rock minuet
He pictured the bedroom where he heard the first cry
His mother on all fours, ah, with his father behind
And her yell hurt so much, he had wished he'd gone blind
And rocked to a rock minuet
In the back of the warehouse were a couple of guys
They had tied someone up and sewn up their eyes
And he got so excited he came on his thighs
When they danced to the rock minuet
On avenue be, someone cruised him one night
He took him in an alley and then pulled a knife
And thought of his father, as he cut his windpipe
And finally danced to the rock minuet
In the curse of the alley, the thrill of the street
On the bitter cold docks where the outlaws all meet
In euphoria drug in euphoria heat
You could dance to the rock minuet
In the thrill of the needle and anonymous sex
You could dance to the rock minuet
So when you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance to the rock minuet

Last edited:
I remember a long time ago walking up to the register at a small record shop with a copy of Patti Smith’s Horses and Berlin. The person working the register looked at me strangely and did seem genuinely concerned for my mental state.

:lbf::cool:

I'm not surprised. I got Berlin when i was 16. A lot to handle for an emotional kid.

It was a different world, it was a different way to listen to music. Berlin is a dark trip, but one worth taking, in one sitting, loud between the speakers.

Records like these are not being made now, maybe they can’t be. Also, I’ve yet to come across artists like this. I don’t think this world is capable of making them in the same way. The circumstances have changed and the magic may be gone.
The world doesn’t seem to want or need another Lou, Walker or Bowie. But then again, maybe that’s alright, I guess younger generations can’t miss what they never had (?)

Also in regards to technology. I was watching a Bob Ezrin interview and he said something along the lines of .....

The great thing is that anyone can make a record these days, and the bad thing is that anyone can make a record these days.

Anyone can make a record...and most of them aren't very good.

Once upon a time, it was the late 80s, early 90s, a teenage youth checked out all the Lou Reed tapes available in the local library of her unimportant home town. The librarians did not care a shit who checked out what, and off she went home with a heavy bag of tapes and books to read. She had heard about Lou Reed on a midnight radio show, the only affordable source of interesting music available to her at that time, and decided to dig into it. She listened to all of 'em tapes within the following days, but it was New York that she attached herself to fully, these having been her most formative years, and she was in need of something to attach herself to, and in this case it was the music and not the person. It was this Lou Reed album that had the power to dissolve the bleakness of her existence, not his others. These went back to the library after only one hearing or so.

Once upon a time, it was the late 80s, early 90s, a teenage youth checked out all the Lou Reed tapes available in the local library of her unimportant home town. The librarians did not care a shit who checked out what, and off she went home with a heavy bag of tapes and books to read. She had heard about Lou Reed on a midnight radio show, the only affordable source of interesting music available to her at that time, and decided to dig into it. She listened to all of 'em tapes within the following days, but it was New York that she attached herself to fully, these having been her most formative years, and she was in need of something to attach herself to, and in this case it was the music and not the person. It was this Lou Reed album that had the power to dissolve the bleakness of her existence, not his others. These went back to the library after only one hearing or so.

Stick a fork in it...it's done.

Kinda seems like Berlin wasn't highly thought of upon it's release.
Folks were expectin' more of the stuff that Lou did with Transformer
and instead he gave'm somethin' different that they weren't ready for.
Seems like Lou had been waitin' to use Sad Song for some time.
Always liked the demo on that Velvets bonus disc.

I shouldve read you post more carefully, Turkey, coz I couldnt remember listening to "Sad Song" on the Loaded album.
r1.jpg

So, I ran and looked and was all perplexed not being able to find the song on the album. But now I see that it was a demo on a bonus disc. It's a nice one, I have to say, his voice sounded so much younger and smoother then.
Couldve well been that this song was the driving force behind the creation of the Berlin album, as all the other songs presenting the conflict kinda lead to this resolution or even catharsis, the "oh, oh, oh, what a feeling" of "The Bed" leading to the waterboy's heart eventually overflowing in "Sad Song" with the realization that he is actually sad, and the drugs or whatever else, had made him numb over the years.

Mustve been quite a disappointment for him to see that his audience wasnt ripe for it, and that he was stuck with this image of the rocknroll animal, which they refused to let go.

The string arrangements I believe were done by producer Bob Ezrin he also produced The Wall, if you would like more darkness then look no further.

Lou Reeds Berlin and his record from79 called The Bells are my favorite of his.

Followed by Street Hassle, Take No Prisoners, New York, Magic and Loss, and Transformer.

But this, one of his later songs, he never lost his touch ....

Paralyzed by hatred and a piss ugly soul
If he murdered his father, he thought he'd become whole
While listening at night to an old radio
Where they danced to the rock minuet
In the gay bars in the back of the bar
He consummated hatred on a cold sawdust floor
While the jukebox played backbeats, he sniffed coke off a jar
While they danced to a rock minuet
School was a waste, he was meant for the street
But school was the only way, the army could be beat
The two whores sucked his nipples 'til he came on their feet
As they danced to the rock minuet
He dreamt that his father was sunk to his knees
His leather belt tied so tight that it was hard to breathe
And the studs from his jacket were as cold as a breeze
As he danced to a rock minuet
He pictured the bedroom where he heard the first cry
His mother on all fours, ah, with his father behind
And her yell hurt so much, he had wished he'd gone blind
And rocked to a rock minuet
In the back of the warehouse were a couple of guys
They had tied someone up and sewn up their eyes
And he got so excited he came on his thighs
When they danced to the rock minuet
On avenue be, someone cruised him one night
He took him in an alley and then pulled a knife

Watched the 2006 movie of his Berlin performance at the St. Anne's Warehouse in Brooklyn last night (available on YT for 3,99€), and it seems that Bob Ezrin was also producing this show. I don't like The Wall as an album.
They added three more songs to the Berlin set, and one of them is "Rock Minuet".
Quite a performance!

listening to "Sad Song" on the Loaded album.
Couldve well been that this song was the driving force behind the creation of the Berlin album
, as all the other songs presenting the conflict kinda lead to this resolution or even catharsis, the "oh, oh, oh, what a feeling" of "The Bed" leading to the waterboy's heart eventually overflowing in "Sad Song" with the realization that he is actually sad, and the drugs or whatever else, had made him numb over the years.

Mustve been quite a disappointment for him to see that his audience wasnt ripe for it, and that he was stuck with this image of the rocknroll animal, which they refused to let go.

actually it was the original version of the song Berlin on Lou’s first solo album ( before Transformer)
that Bob Ezrin told Lou that he should expand on and follow a character through the whole album, and so with Bob Ezrin’s brilliant suggestion Berlin a concept album was born.

there is also the early demo a
song called ‘Oh Gin’ which became Oh Jim ....

x1.jpg

Man, if I wasnt so tired, I'd write a lil bit more. This ascension ladder will lead the way to some rest and peace later. There is no symbolic rating given in the order, it is all in the stars. Goodnight.

Oh, and this film has been available on yt for 4 weeks now. Watch it, before it's gone again.

Okay, even though I do not like to bother the young new year with irksome comparisons already, this one really thrusted itself upon me in the most striking way.
x2.jpg

This is a very beautifully transparent 12" Maxi Blue Single by the Smiths from 1986. There is Panic on the A-Side and Light and Queen on the B-Side. It's a German Teldec/Zensor printing, the one with light blue labels. There is another one with red labels. I got this one from a friend of mine, who had to change places and was happy that someone helped her driving some of her stuff from A to B, which was my pleasure.
A few hairlines but apart from that it is in sublime shape, but how surprised was I, when I played (after a thorough wash and scrub) this 35 year old record on my humble turntable at home.
My God, this sound was so fantastic! It's just like you want to have it, crystal clear and powerful at the same time. The walls were shaking in unison with the thunderbolting heartbeats released by this record. I felt like driving the best Mercedes back home to where it belongs. The top cheese cake. That's the quality every superb music deserves.

x3.jpg

See above: A work of art and love entwined.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the recent RSD 2020 limited repress in sky blue release of the Delines' otherwise supreme record "The Imperial". I listened to it straight after The Smiths, and the contrast in sound was so very striking, it brought tears to my eyes. I have to add that it was a sealed copy, and shortly after opening it (before it was washed), I noticed how dirty it was, and there were even visible hairlines on it. This was already a bad omen. Also the sky blue color in non-transparent "blue" looked like a sick cat shortly before vomiting.

While listening there were lots of pops and crackles throughout. I couldn't believe what I heared. With quiet music that wants you to listen more closely to beautiful lyrics and enjoy the nuances, this is deadly. I stopped listening altogether after the A-Side. That's the reason why it got only 3 stars from me. I am really sorry, I bought this shoddy RSD release. I am not getting into the question of guilt right now, as this new year is still very young and innocent.

My conclusion was, that I have to download the album in mp3 format. Here it is, hiding itself conscience-stricken on the disc rack behind the Jayhawks. Btw, I feel tempted to add a coppola new 12"es to my improvable 12" single collection in the near future, if god is willing.

v1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom