The Guardian: Exclusive Soundcloud link to Rubber Ring / WSS live (from new box set) + iTunes offer

The Guardian shares an 'exclusive' Soundcloud link to Rubber Ring / What She said.

Listen to an exclusive unreleased Smiths song, recorded live in Boston - The Guardian

Live In Boston - recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986.

"Muscular, honest, funny – The Queen is Dead has all the most endearing traits of the Smiths dialled up to the max, and is thought of by many as the band’s masterpiece album. With Bigmouth Strikes Again, There is a Light That Never Goes Out and The Boy With the Thorn in His Side, it certainly contains many of their signature songs.

It’s now getting the full dad-pleasing Christmas box set treatment: a 3xCD and DVD combo with the original album, demos and B-sides, Derek Jarman’s beautiful music video trilogy, and Live in Boston, an unreleased recording of a gig during their 1986 US tour (the LA date of which produced the much-coveted bootleg album Thank Your Lucky Stars).

We’ve got an exclusive first play of one of those live tracks, a medley that goes from Rubber Ring (one of Noel Gallagher’s favourite Smiths songs, FYI), to a swinging rendition of What She Said, and back to Rubber Ring again. A nice curio to tide you over until that forthcoming Morrissey album."

Direct to Soundcloud:
https://m.soundcloud.com/thesmiths/rubber-ring-what-she-said-rubber-ring-live-in-boston-uk-1

All The Smiths on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/thesmiths

Not sure what the UK part of the Soundcloud title is about.
Never ones to stick to plan - this track appeared outside the one QID track a week as per the official website.
I don't know about anyone else, but The Smiths on Soundcloud completely slipped under my radar.
For future reference: it appears the recent TQID live tracks are on Soundcloud too.
Regards,
FWD.

Oh, MP3 download of the track too - if it is region locked and unavailable to you:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ekz7uj

*UPDATE*

This track is now being offered as an instant download from iTunes if you pre-order the digital box set:

40681_what_she_said_live_promo.png

Regards,
FWD.

Also now on Spotify:

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK part means that it's only available there - or I think that's what it is

This Soundcloud link won't play in the US, which is a shame

Thank you for the sendspace link.

The UK part means that it's only available there - or I think that's what it is

This Soundcloud link won't play in the US, which is a shame

Thank you for the sendspace link.
I'm sorry to hear that.
This type of nonsense does them no favours.
The TQID live tracks / YouTube versions are freely available to all and restricting this particular track would be a daft idea given it creates interest in something they want to sell.
Regards,
FWD.

If you can't view soundcloud or are not pre-ordering via iTunes:
This track is now available as a .wav & .wma file in the downloads forum.
Regards,
FWD.

Not available in sunny Sweden. Thanks for the MP3 link, it sounds great :)
No problem - better bit rate versions of the track are available in the download/bootleg section.
Limiting by country when other tracks are universally available is just bizarre.
Regards,
FWD.

US Soundcloud link:

Or you can just go to the full The Smiths soundcloud channel as linked already.

Maybe The Guardian will stop for a time its offensive articles against Morrissey. That was easy...

Always loved that RR/WSS transition since I first heard it on Rank. Question, did they ever play RR in full?

I'm sorry to hear that.
This type of nonsense does them no favours.
The TQID live tracks / YouTube versions are freely available to all and restricting this particular track would be a daft idea given it creates interest in something they want to sell.
Regards,
FWD.
When these corporate scum do this kind of thing all I have to say is use a VPN and turnaround them....

Isn't that kind of bullshit though? Its not an unreleased song. It's an unreleased live version of a song. Why does everyone exaggerate these days? Is it because they know they don't really have anything to say?

This Thank Your Lucky Stars version was my favourite from all the recordings of Rubber Ring/What She Said, but they've edited out the reason why! The gap between the two songs is silent on every version except on Rank where Moz goes "...yeah!", and this one where he does a big sneeze, but they've almost completely silenced it. You can still hear it a wee bit, but I am a bit deflated.

Since this cough you crave is from a performance one month and 300o miles hence from the Boston area ,I am not surprised its missing

Isn't that kind of bullshit though? Its not an unreleased song. It's an unreleased live version of a song. Why does everyone exaggerate these days? Is it because they know they don't really have anything to say?
Yes it is bullshit.

Very true. Is there a list of actual unreleased Smiths songs anywhere? I'm not referring to demo or live versions.

Very true. Is there a list of actual unreleased Smiths songs anywhere? I'm not referring to demo or live versions.
They were only together for a few years. My opinion is if it was worth hearing they'd have released it. Live versions of songs are not unreleased. They are unheard.

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom