The Housemartins

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
I do hospital radio from time to time and my co-host tonight played 'Flag Day'. He told me a bit about the Housemartins, how they shared a lot of Smithsian sensibilities, and I thought Paul Heaton's voice shared a lot in common with Morrissey's. I also thought 'Flag Day' was a bloody good song, so much that I'm listening to 'London 0 Hull 4' right now. There must be some fans out there, tell me your stories.

Well, I'm not a fan, but just a few days ago my husband put a vinyl of The Housemartins on, don't ask me the title, I have no idea, but it made me remember that when I was very young I liked very much some songs of them, they were often played on the radio. Now, reading your post I understand what I like of them: that "something" in singer's voice reminding me Morrissey! Oh my God, it's always Morrissey!

The only song of theirs I like is Happy Hour. Although Caravan of Love is vaguely listenable.

Try This Charming Caravan

I've always been a big fan of the Housemartins, Beautiful South and Paul Heaton's solo stuff.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I first heard of them through "Flag Day" on a John Peel session in 1986. Me and a few mates went camping outside Glossop, and I took a radio to keep some sanity. I remember warming up some tomato soup on a camping-gaz stove whilst it was played. I liked it. It was quite a week, camping for two nights during the week, The Smiths at the weekend, then on the monday I had my usual summer trip back to Ireland to stop with my family. I enjoyed the summer of 86.

One of the best 80s bands. The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death is as good as London 0 Hull 4 and the compilation album that has all the odds and sods on it too Now Thats What I Call Quite Good is worthy of hearing.

I believe Paul Heaton has started doing Housemartins songs live in concert. Also he is a true football aficioniado! Heres a quality interview with him about football mainly

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.com/2011/04/paul-heaton-interview.html

And Hull has had no applications for Royal weddding street parties. Get in there Hull

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/20/hull-royal-wedding-no-street-party

They were good when Quentin,sorry "Norman", was in them.
;)

Back
Top Bottom