"The Morrissey Effect" - Joe Chiccarelli, Maxime Le Guil in Sound on Sound (Feb. 2018)

From Dominic:

LIHS producer Joe Chiccarelli interview in Feb Sound on Sound mag:

"I've said my piece and I have nothing else to say." - Morrissey

Article online (paywall for full version):

The Morrissey Effect - Sound On Sound
Joe Chiccarelli & Maxime Le Guil: Recording Low In High School

42050_le_guil_chiccarelli.jpg

Team photo: producer Joe Chiccarelli (right) and engineer Maxime Le Guil were reunited for Low In High School, having worked together on Morrissey’s previous album in 2012.

Scan from Dominic:

42049_chiccarelli_sound_201802.jpg

Last edited:
When I say "Market Research" I mean "Boy the crowd sure went for a drink/piss en masse when I played that one."

And still no Smiths reunion, and still he does what songs HE WANTS.

Yes, I've heard that also and it goes back to The Smiths. I don't know that doing more vocal takes would help his albums sell any better. But after 1-2 takes he's already lost patience/bored with a brand new song? I guess it's the "good enough is good enough" vs the perfectionist mentality.

'But after 1-2 takes he's already lost patience/bored with a brand new song?'

can lose the immediacy and emotional impact in delivery.

ART IS FOR ONE'S SELF, FIRST. IF HE CARED THEN HE WOULD DO WHAT ALL THE OTHER SCUM BAGS OUT THERE DO, AND THEN HE WOULDN'T BE WHAT HE IS. WHICH IS :thumb:IN MY BOOK.

:cool:

Care to elaborate? Do you have anything to back this nonsense up? Or are you just clearing out what you picked up while alternating tongue-strokes between his anus and balls?

Everyone in music who’s not Morrissey is a “scumbag”?

Break’s over. Get back to your hole.

When I say "Market Research" I mean "Boy the crowd sure went for a drink/piss en masse when I played that one."

Well I’ve been to three shows in the last few years and have not seen any mass exodus at any of them during certain songs. Not s en any videos of that either. Spent the day in bed did receive a cheer so maybe he’ll make your day and take that into account for the next one. Teasing as I know you hate that song but it’s also got a lot of attention not just live but in terms of reviews from people like Stephen Street as well as attention from views on YouTube so it’s a hit and miss idea taking your musical direction from a desire to please fans. Might as well be Taylor swift at that point. Personally if morrissey wanted to just sell records he’d do nothing but release suffering from afar songs about love just out of reach and shyness. He could make more money by just playing to and becoming a parody of his smiths media image. He could just play the hits and sell more tickets but the fact that he doesn’t do any of this makes me believe he wants to make the art he makes and that selling it, while Important, is secondary. I respect this

To suede moz. I don’t think he gets bored but that the performance just looses it emotional impact for him and makes for a worse take as it goes on. Maybe he just knows his about himself. Lots of people say this like Kurt cobain etc who hated doing to many repeat takes. Coincidently to your comment does remind me of Bernard’s comment about Brett getting bored and putting down the mic instead of committing to making great music

Yes, I've heard that also and it goes back to The Smiths. I don't know that doing more vocal takes would help his albums sell any better. But after 1-2 takes he's already lost patience/bored with a brand new song? I guess it's the "good enough is good enough" vs the perfectionist mentality.

Modern music for me is over done. Somebody who I work with is far more talented than me and a part of that is his attention to detail but with that comes a cost and that's that everything sounds 'perfect'. Most pop music is the same now and it's made it bland imo. Morrissey has often sung a bit off key but it gives it that human element that I like. It's probably also been a barrier to being huge rather than him having a cult fan base but little broader appeal.

And still no Smiths reunion, and still he does what songs HE WANTS.
I don't want one. It would be worse than The Pixies in terms of "Yeah, f*** you, and you, and you. Let's get this over with and get paid."

'because 2016-2017 looked like a one way ticket to shitsville from where I stand.'

Well, yes you're not standing in his place. Don't know, thought the last two records were pretty good, to say the least.

'However, when you're selling a product, market research and listening to your consumers is also an important thing. Otherwise all of those noble intentions amount to a vanity project made by and for one's self.'

ART IS FOR ONE'S SELF, FIRST. IF HE CARED THEN HE WOULD DO WHAT ALL THE OTHER SCUM BAGS OUT THERE DO, AND THEN HE WOULDN'T BE WHAT HE IS. WHICH IS :thumb:IN MY BOOK.

:cool:
You have to be real. It was plain to see in his nervous breakdown on video that he'd went to the end of the line, looked around, and desired to not be in shitsville anymore and went to the ticket booth only to find it closed for the weekend. No one on Earth is above critique. Not even Morrissey. Especially not Morrissey. He helped raise us to be critical after all.

You mean he hasn't?

Yes that’s what I mean. I think he’s long gone from the days of the shy overly sensitive fey English stereotype pictured reading Wilde and talking about feminism while secretly dreaming of Johnny marr (to many people’s dismay). If he actually wrote a song with the name Johnny in it for instance it’d play to all the nuts and get more attention than anything on lihs

Yes that’s what I mean. I think he’s long gone from the days of the shy overly sensitive fey English stereotype pictured reading Wilde and talking about feminism while secretly dreaming of Johnny marr (to many people’s dismay). If he actually wrote a song with the name Johnny in it for instance it’d play to all the nuts and get more attention than anything on lihs
I think it comes down to swallowing one's own mythology and the persona created in pursuit of fame. Is the mask the man, or the man the mask, and all of that bullshit.

You have to be real. It was plain to see in his nervous breakdown on video that he'd went to the end of the line, looked around, and desired to not be in shitsville anymore and went to the ticket booth only to find it closed for the weekend. No one on Earth is above critique. Not even Morrissey. Especially not Morrissey. He helped raise us to be critical after all.

I thought we were on topic talking about the songs?

guess not.

Let's define "well" because 2016-2017 looked like a one way ticket to shitsville from where I stand.
The other flaw in that thinking is that sure, he knows what sounds good to him. I sound amazing to myself when I sing along with the radio in the shower, but I'd never expect anyone else to want to hear it.

I don't argue that the final word is his. Free will is an important thing. However, when you're selling a product, market research and listening to your consumers is also an important thing. Otherwise all of those noble intentions amount to a vanity project made by and for one's self.

You have to realize you're talking to a "Moz did nothing wrong" robot, and any attempt at reason will meet in frustration. Plus it uses large font to makes its point so you've already lost.

I think it comes down to swallowing one's own mythology and the persona created in pursuit of fame. Is the mask the man, or the man the mask, and all of that bullshit.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

- Jimmy Clitheroe

Modern music for me is over done. Somebody who I work with is far more talented than me and a part of that is his attention to detail but with that comes a cost and that's that everything sounds 'perfect'. Most pop music is the same now and it's made it bland imo. Morrissey has often sung a bit off key but it gives it that human element that I like. It's probably also been a barrier to being huge rather than him having a cult fan base but little broader appeal.

not a fan of Auto-Tune ?

;)

Interesting. Any examples in particular? I do think his intonation has improved vastly over the years. I wonder if the two things are linked?
A lot of stuff sounds better live. I have two competing theories. One is that having sung the song more he has gotten a better understanding of what he wants to do with it. So maybe in this case more takes or maybe doing the songs live for a time before recording them would be helpful.
The other theory is that there is an excitement to live performance that is difficult to capture in the studio and sometimes, like with the artwork he has chosen for the past ten years or more, he just can't be bothered. Singing it one time seems like a chore on some of the recent material.

When he has a good song this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. But anyway, I don't care for "World Peace Is None Of Your Business," but someone uploaded a show that had several of those songs on it and I thought it sounded great. I sort of believe him about wanting to keep the studio a special experience, but I also feel that some of what he does doesn't seem that inspired and it could just as easily be laziness or being over it in general.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom