"The Morrissey Effect" - Joe Chiccarelli, Maxime Le Guil in Sound on Sound (Feb. 2018)

From Dominic:

LIHS producer Joe Chiccarelli interview in Feb Sound on Sound mag:

"I've said my piece and I have nothing else to say." - Morrissey

Article online (paywall for full version):

The Morrissey Effect - Sound On Sound
Joe Chiccarelli & Maxime Le Guil: Recording Low In High School

42050_le_guil_chiccarelli.jpg

Team photo: producer Joe Chiccarelli (right) and engineer Maxime Le Guil were reunited for Low In High School, having worked together on Morrissey’s previous album in 2012.

Scan from Dominic:

42049_chiccarelli_sound_201802.jpg

Last edited:
You have to realize you're talking to a "Moz did nothing wrong" robot, and any attempt at reason will meet in frustration. Plus it uses large font to makes its point so you've already lost.
Aw shit.

I think it’s more about keeping the performance special to him which he probably feels helps him connect to the emotion he’s trying to express. He’s talked about wanting to keep the studio experience special in his mind and I bet this is a similar thing. Lots of musicians have talked about how doing multiple takes and rehearsals can start to diminish the feeling of a song to them. After the eight time you sing like it’s breakjng your heart has got to make you feel phoney and loose enthusiasm after a while. In front of an audience is different as you get to feed off the emotion projected back at you. Imo all of the vocals on lihs sound great. If the vocal on Israel is a first take then bravo

Surprised ? Morrissey has been able to determine whether a vocal track is good enough or not. He's been doing this for many years. His studio control is fantastic - a lot of people struggle laying tracks in the studio never mind doing them in a single take. And 8 takes ? Almost EVERBODY takes 14+ takes..... mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. Which is why Boz Boorer is so special. His band rock - so special x.

Can't believe that people don't like, or rank it very low, as I read past year. 'Worldpeace...' is a gem, absolute one of his best 3 solo albums he made, in my humble opinion. LIHS is a grower, but never match WINOYB.

If Morrissey has an option to do an alum I would try a new producer, the band is OK on stage, but for the studio I wouldn't mind if he tries different musicians

[Joyce, Rourke and Gannon]:tears:

We are on topic, as one thing ties in to the other. It's not as if we were discussing Winston Churchill and I started speaking about plumbing repair.
That's exactly the type of thing you would do, though.

Kids-Alice-in-Wonderlandx1.jpg

Surprised ? Morrissey has been able to determine whether a vocal track is good enough or not. He's been doing this for many years. His studio control is fantastic - a lot of people struggle laying tracks in the studio never mind doing them in a single take. And 8 takes ? Almost EVERBODY takes 14+ takes..... mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. Which is why Boz Boorer is so special. His band rock - so special x.

I don't know about Boz and co's effectiveness in the studio but it's a great thing if they are. There's a documentary knocking about called The Wrecking Crew about a bunch of session musicians that are on a ton of records from the 60's including Pet Sounds. Producers got them in 'cause it was cheaper and more effective to have them nail things in one take rather than have a band member take all day and more. A lot of takes are often completely uneccessary though and down to the producer being a knob, as one musician said to me, I know when I've got something down and I'll get cross if somebody asks me to do it again. I guess Morrissey is the same.

Can't believe that people don't like, or rank it very low, as I read past year. 'Worldpeace...' is a gem, absolute one of his best 3 solo albums he made, in my humble opinion. LIHS is a grower, but never match WINOYB.

If Morrissey has an option to do an alum I would try a new producer, the band is OK on stage, but for the studio I wouldn't mind if he tries different musicians

[Joyce, Rourke and Gannon]:tears:

Totally agree, i like winoyb, Perhaps some songs are weaker than others but it's a great album, i like the bonus tracks too.

New musicians quick and chiccarelli is not rudy van gelder !

I don't want one. It would be worse than The Pixies in terms of "Yeah, f*** you, and you, and you. Let's get this over with and get paid."

If The Smiths got together again, I'd be cool with it. If they never do, I'm ok with that as well. I just want Jesse Tobias to exit the band permanently. THAT is the change Moz needs.

If The Smiths got together again, I'd be cool with it. If they never do, I'm ok with that as well. I just want Jesse Tobias to exit the band permanently. THAT is the change Moz needs.
I think his whole setup needs an enema. Flush out the batch of guys he's got now, and replace them with anyone, I don't care, I don't care. Seeing what's his butt up there puffing on a digeridoo and singing the best bits of Speedway is just embarrassing. And maybe a guitarist that can play and doesn't look like he's passing a kidney stone while playing sloppy solos would be nice. And Boz... Geezus. Set the poor guy free already.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom