The most beautiful Smiths songs

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
its a strange one because most beautiful almost always means a slower song but i think London is a beatiful song,theres a sadness in the lyrics in that its someone escaping from a shithole to london which is an even bigger shithole with brighter lights.

But you could have said no
If you’d wanted to
You could have walked away
...Couldn’t you?

I touched you at the soundcheck
You had no real way of knowing
In my heart I begged “Take me with you....
I don’t care where you’re going”

My eyes welling up full of tears right now even as I type this, for what this meant to me when I first heard this at 14, and for the depth of emotion that remained with me my whole life, from the poignant beauty and plaintive, devastating cry I felt inside of me as a child, when I first heard this song and these words

Thank you, Mozzy ❤

But you could have said no
If you’d wanted to
You could have walked away
...Couldn’t you?

I touched you at the soundcheck
You had no real way of knowing
In my heart I begged “Take me with you....
I don’t care where you’re going”

My eyes welling up full of tears right now even as I type this, for what this meant to me when I first heard this at 14, and for the depth of emotion that remained with me my whole life, from the poignant beauty and plaintive, devastating cry I felt inside of me as a child, when I first heard this song and these words

Thank you, Mozzy ❤
Paint A Vulgar Picture then?
Thanks for sharing that.

its a strange one because most beautiful almost always means a slower song but i think London is a beatiful song,theres a sadness in the lyrics in that its someone escaping from a shithole to london which is an even bigger shithole with brighter lights.
I wouldn't have gone with London personally, but beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Mozmar already provided a great list, to which I would like to add

This charming man
Wonderful woman
The boy with the thorn in his side
Rubber ring + Asleep (back to back as on the ep amplifies the beauty of these songs and words for me)

Half a person immediately sprung to mind and well I wonder deserves a mention

I know I’m unloveable
You don’t have to tell me
I don’t have much in my life
But take it it’s yours...

I don’t have much in my life but take it it’s yours

Message received loud and clear

I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside
And if I seem a little strange, well that’s because I am.

Anthem for a lost cause

I know it’s Over- live in Boston June I6 1986
Physically and mentally it’s all it should be and it was.

Absolutely adorable. It perfectly captures that sense of desolution and hits deep.
Just listened to the Boston 2012 version for comparison, it is not the same though still beautiful.

Absolutely adorable. It perfectly captures that sense of desolution and hits deep.
Just listened to the Boston 2012 version for comparison, it is not the same though still beautiful.
I love how he misses the words there are pregnant pauses
It just feels despondent and desperate I like it’s sincerity it’s exposed and vulnerable

One
I know I’m unloveable
You don’t have to tell me
I don’t have much in my life
But take it it’s yours...

I don’t have much in my life but take it it’s yours

Message received loud and clear

I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside
And if I seem a little strange, well that’s because I am.

Anthem for a lost cause
One of my favourite Smiths songs, both musically and lyrically.

That's exactly what I've always thought too. That depressing sadness is reflected so well in the powerful music that sounds like a train inside your head.

To me, it doesn't get more beautiful than Please, Please and There Is a Light.

Barbarism Begins at Home
Meat is Murder
My personal view is that BBAH is musically, brilliantly beautiful, but not lyrically, & for me doesn't evoke emotion as such (not in the same as TIALTNGO, or Asleep, or IWSY)...maybe because the bass, drums, & Marr guitar are so powerful...it's more a dance & air guitar/drums track. I love it but it's not making this list...although it would be top of my fave Smiths tracks.

MIM, is very dark & the pace is perfectly laboured...for the obvious subject matter reasons, so didn't consider it at first. But, I've listened to it since & yes it's a fantastic piece musically, lyrically & on an emotional level. Is it beautiful as in This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Well I Wonder, or I Know It's Over? Not sure.

Mozmar already provided a great list, to which I would like to add

This charming man
Wonderful woman
The boy with the thorn in his side
Rubber ring + Asleep (back to back as on the ep amplifies the beauty of these songs and words for me)
TCM, while I love it, doesn't grab me emotionally.

WW, is a beautiful song, which Moz sings & delivers gorgeously, but lyrically it's a mix of the beautiful (Ice water for blood With neither heart or spine), & the silly (trip a dwarf, rob the blind), so I'm not so sure. The jury is out on this one.

TBWTTIHS, lyrically it's superb, the message is there, but despite loving it, it's almost too cheery, 'pop-py' & jangly for what I'm looking for, & fails the test when I compare it to the others I've listed.

RR is one of my favourites of all time & would be close to the top of a n other list; the music is outstanding, & the 'message' is in there, but emotionally just falls short, imho. It's a truly fantastic tune despite this...and no, I'm not sleeping, & yes, I do want to believe!

Asleep - true perfection in every sense; it could draw tears from a marble statue: Nothing more to add; it's on my list.

Back
Top Bottom