The most beautiful Smiths songs

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
Wonderful Woman because it sounds like nothing else they did (in a good way rather than in a bad way - unlike How Soon Is Now, which I still struggle with).

Has anyone written How Soon is Now? "I am human and I need to be loved."

Wonderful Woman because it sounds like nothing else they did (in a good way rather than in a bad way - unlike How Soon Is Now, which I still struggle with).
It's in the 'pending further review' pile.
Edit: Update, what was I thinking?? It's on the list!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably been done previously on here, although maybe buried in the archives, but I'm trying to compile a Smiths playlist (not Morrissey solo) , as per the thread title.

Musically, & lyrically, which are the most gentle, most beautiful, most meaningful, & which evoke the most emotion, in your opinion?

Here's where I'm at (in no particular order):

1 Well I Wonder
2 I Know It's Over
3 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4 Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
5 Asleep
6 I Won't Share You
7 Unloveable
8 That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
9 This Night Has Opened My Eyes
10 Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
11 Half A Person
12 I Don't Owe You Anything
13 The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
14 Back To The Old House
15 Suffer Little Children

Thoughts...
It's interesting how you've chosen very few single releases. A lot of your picks would be on my list too. I much prefer the more obscure songs.

It's interesting how you've chosen very few single releases. A lot of your picks would be on my list too. I much prefer the more obscure songs.
Well some tracks become almost cliche...like TCM, & Boy with the thorn, for example...& possibly HSIN with it being so well known, hence my hesitation with that latter one, but just played it again & it's like 'wow' all over again.

Well some tracks become almost cliche...like TCM, & Boy with the thorn, for example...& possibly HSIN with it being so well known, hence my hesitation with that latter one, but just played it again & it's like 'wow' all over again.
With How Soon Is Now I ask myself whether I'd play it to someone who's never heard of The Smiths and the answer is a definite No. I suppose that's a good criteria for choosing... If you had one song to convert someone. When I play the jukebox it's usually Half A Person I go to. I'd put Wonderful Woman on if they had it on there. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed The Queen Is Dead when it was played at full volume on the jukebox. I don't get the chance to play music loud at home. That song changes at max volume. Mind you, it doesn't really fit your category of Most Beautiful.

With How Soon Is Now I ask myself whether I'd play it to someone who's never heard of The Smiths and the answer is a definite No. I suppose that's a good criteria for choosing... If you had one song to convert someone. When I play the jukebox it's usually Half A Person I go to. I'd put Wonderful Woman on if they had it on there. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed The Queen Is Dead when it was played at full volume on the jukebox. I don't get the chance to play music loud at home. That song changes at max volume. Mind you, it doesn't really fit your category of Most Beautiful.

Indeed, it's beautiful (as they all are), but not in the sense I'm aiming for in this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just listen to the way Moz sings this end section (c.1:48):

But when she calls me
I do not walk, I run
Oh, when she calls
I do not walk, I run

OK after much deliberation, this is where I'm at now (in no particular order):

1 Well I Wonder
2 I Know It's Over
5 Asleep
6 I Won't Share You
7 Unloveable
11 Half A Person
14 Back To The Old House
16 Stretch Out And Wait
17 Never Had No One Ever
18 Wonderful Woman
19 Reel Around The Fountain
20 ?

1. I Won't Share You
2. Stretch Out and Wait
3. Well I Wonder
4. I Know It's Over
5. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

and this beauty, the prequel to Late Night, Maudlin Street:

When you cycled by
Here began all my dreams...

Has there ever been a more beautiful end to a band, than this?

OK after much deliberation, this is where I'm at now (in no particular order):

1 Well I Wonder
2 I Know It's Over
5 Asleep
6 I Won't Share You
7 Unloveable
11 Half A Person
14 Back To The Old House
16 Stretch Out And Wait
17 Never Had No One Ever
18 Wonderful Woman
19 Reel Around The Fountain
20 ?

I don't know if there will be a number 20 to your list.
I can think of "Girlfriend in a coma", with the caveat that it isn't as powerful as the numbers 1 to 11 (and a few others) in your list above.
And the adjectives I would use to describe it are "endearing, tender", so not sure.
"Death of a disco dancer" as already mentioned elsewhere: it strikes me as bleak and harrowing, "Love, peace and harmony = very nice but maybe in the next world" being more of a philosophical reflection.

I love how he misses the words there are pregnant pauses
It just feels despondent and desperate I like it’s sincerity it’s exposed and vulnerable

Totally agree, add to this Johnny's harrowing guitar playing and outtro....
And I love your expression "pregnant pauses".

1. I Won't Share You
2. Stretch Out and Wait
3. Well I Wonder
4. I Know It's Over
5. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

and this beauty, the prequel to Late Night, Maudlin Street:

When you cycled by
Here began all my dreams...

Yep, got that on the list

Back
Top Bottom