Morrissey Central "THE NEXT DAY" (February 26, 2021)

0-7_wqtgbe.jpg
0-8_j9babz.jpg

:rolleyes:
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
Morrissey's vocal delivery defines his songs, and in many ways he is as important to the song as the songwriter who wrote the notes. His vocal melody is the heart of the song. He is much more than a lyricist/singer. Moz reshapes the clay of the song and elevates it to a new level. His contributions to the process of making a record are transformative. Look at the songs written by Marr post Smiths (or Butler post Suede) and you can see the marked difference.
The Smiths instrumental remains same quality without vocal lines. His contribution to lyrics is apparent but for The Smiths, dynamic of melody comes from guitar and bass. Vocal melodies are usually lower key than instrumental and distinctively monotonous just going up and down.

The Smiths instrumental remains same quality without vocal lines. His contribution to lyrics is apparent but for The Smiths, dynamic of melody comes from guitar and bass. Vocal melodies are usually lower key than instrumental and distinctively monotonous just going up and down.

:rolleyes:

WTF? JR? you a musical scientist now?:crazy:

Oh yeah, sure.

And if it was about the money, I think Morrissey would have been wiser to put an original song on the flip to capitalize on Bowie’s name. No?

:cool:
Hi, I think you're confusing me with @Uncleskinny and arguing against something I didn't say. It's never about the money unless he owes someone.
It's about having a charting record. Anyone that would see a terror attack as an opportunity to have a "guaranteed number one" by reissuing an old single that happens to have the word Paris in the title would also be aware of the potential to chart with a David Bowie duet.
Don't forget that this is the second time he's tried to capitalize on Bowie since he died. The first was when he wanted to use a photo of the two of them on a record Bowie didn't appear on.
I've never said Morrissey was about money and I've said the opposite quiet a few times. If he wanted money he would shut up and play the game. He could be much wealthier than he is. But he clearly cares very much about charts. That is mythology, not money.

I love 'Let's Dance' as a pop song. One of the great pop songs. Far from being my favourite Bowie track though.
Bowie played at being a superstar, just like he played at being Ziggy or The Thin White Duke. It was clearly a role that he was keen to ditch after a few years, killing it off with Tin Machine.
Yes this is exactly what I meant but you said it more clearly.

Hi, I think you're confusing me with @Uncleskinny and arguing against something I didn't say. It's never about the money unless he owes someone.
It's about having a charting record. Anyone that would see a terror attack as an opportunity to have a "guaranteed number one" by reissuing an old single that happens to have the word Paris in the title would also be aware of the potential to chart with a David Bowie duet.
Don't forget that this is the second time he's tried to capitalize on Bowie since he died. The first was when he wanted to use a photo of the two of them on a record Bowie didn't appear on.
I've never said Morrissey was about money and I've said the opposite quiet a few times. If he wanted money he would shut up and play the game. He could be much wealthier than he is. But he clearly cares very much about charts. That is mythology, not money.

Its never about the money UNLESS YOU OWE someone? :blushing:
WTF Fake C???:crazy:
if you dont owe someone money then you dont care about money???:crazy:

if you want to make a tribute to Paris with your Paris song, then somehow he would know the potential of charting with Bowie? Otherwise he wouldnt??????:rolleyes:

If Moz had not wanted the Paris tribute to come out then he would NOT have been aware of the Bowie potential???? :crazy:

They don't make much money but they do allow a possibility of having number one vinyl singles on some chart.

Yes, which is far more important to him, as you correctly stated. It also means that the actual number of singles that has been sold is practically irrelevant as long as it's enough to get him to #1.

My comment was more of a general observation as a couple of people have made the hysterical claim that the sole purpose of this release was an easy cash grab.

Last edited:
Bowie was still very much alive when that happened in 2013, as he was the one objecting to the picture being used.

Trying to capitalize on the fact that David Bowie is on the record. Probably thought it was a "guaranteed number one!" See Paris and related threads.

Is it wrong to mistakenly believe that you were talking about money when you said the above?

wowee! :lbf: Well, I guess we’re all entitled to our opinions here. Lol.

Bowie was still very much alive when that happened in 2013, as he was the one objecting to the picture being used.

It’s interesting though. Why do you think Morrissey wanted to use that picture of him and Bowie on the reissue of Last Of The Famous?

I guess the Cosmic Dancer cover choice is more obvious, but do you
think this release is Morrissey using Bowie’s name and death as an opportunity for him just to get into the charts?

Of course I don’t think so, and the people that bought the single probably don’t think that. I mean, why would Bowie fans support that kind of behavior buy purchasing the record?

Is it wrong to mistakenly believe that you were talking about money when you said the above?

wowee! :lbf: Well, I guess we’re all entitled to our opinions here. Lol.
Yes, because you were literally incorrect? I mean what happened to "we just can't know" or does that only apply to Morrissey?

It’s interesting though. Why do you think Morrissey wanted to use that picture of him and Bowie on the reissue of Last Of The Famous?

think this release is Morrissey using Bowie’s name and death as an opportunity for him just to get into the charts?

Of course I don’t think so, and the people that bought the single probably don’t think that. I mean, why would Bowie fans support that kind of behavior buy purchasing the record?
Here's the problem. Morrissey does many things that people might object to or not support, but it's not like he takes a poll before doing these things. It's not like he's operating in a logical manner, either. And further you're assuming that Bowie fans would see this single release as indicative of "that kind of behavior" but you don't even agree with how I'm saying it appears to me, "of course," for your own unstated reasons. So why would Bowie fans see it that way?

The fact is it did work. It was number one on some highly specialized chart, but still a number one. Morrissey got what I'm assuming he wanted and even came in above Harry Styles. I think that was the whole point.

You can't say, "of course Morrissey didn't do this thing because everything else he does is logical and helpful to his career goals."

Here's the problem. Morrissey does many things that people might object to or not support,
Ok, that could be said for all of us.

but it's not like he takes a poll before doing these things. It's not like he's operating in a logical manner, either.

Why would he take a poll? Where would this poll take place?

What do you mean ‘it’s not like he’s operating in a logical manner’?

Do you mean, it would be more logical for him to take a poll before performing an action?
And further you're assuming that Bowie fans would see this single release as indicative of "that kind of behavior"

If some Bowie fans don’t like Morrissey they may question why he’s releasing it, no?
but you don't even agree with how I'm saying it appears to me,

Should I agree with how you’re saying it appears to you?

So why would Bowie fans see it that way?

If some Bowie fans don’t like Morrissey they may question why he’s releasing it, no?

The fact is it did work. It was number one on some highly specialized chart, but still a number one. Morrissey got what I'm assuming he wanted and even came in above Harry Styles. I think that was the whole point.

Ok, fine. Yes we’re all entitled to our opinions here.
You can't say, "of course Morrissey didn't do this thing because everything else he does is logical and helpful to his career goals."

Where did I say that? And what ‘thing’ did Morrissey not do?

Here's the problem.

And where’s the problem?

Yes, because you were literally incorrect? I mean what happened to "we just can't know" or does that only apply to Morrissey?

FC does taking polls before acting 'illogically' apply only to Moz? 🤒
is the :frogface: pond and the assorted trolls exempt from this bizarre psycho babble law?:crazy:

Ok, that could be said for all of us.

Why would he take a poll? Where would this poll take place?

What do you mean ‘it’s not like he’s operating in a logical manner’?

Do you mean, it would be more logical for him to take a poll before performing an action?
The whole idea is that you seemed to be saying that Morrissey wouldn't release a single to capitalize on David Bowie because that wouldn't make sense or be popular.
I was saying that making sense is not really a priority and neither is being popular.
How you or I or anyone else would act is irrelevant but it's not an attack on Morrissey. I was simply saying that your argument which was basically that Morrissey wouldn't do this because it doesn't make sense only works if other things he does do consistently make sense.
They don't.
Lots of things do that lots of people do don't make sense on the surface but do when you understand their underlying motivations. This is why we have therapists.
Or me. :thumb:

I don't know? This is something you came up with. I am unaware of how Bowie fans feel about Morrissey or about how that might affect Morrissey's chances of having a hit record.
I didn't like Kristeen Young but it didn't stop me buying a Morrissey record she was featured on.

That seems fairly obvious to me. When Playboys was first released Morrissey said

"'The last of the famous international playboys are Bowie, Bolan, Devoto and me.'

Do you see similarities between yourself and Bowie?

'What, the living Bowie or the present dead one? The living Bowie, there are some, yes. Yes, I do see similarities.'"

He probably didn't have a good picture of himself and Howard 😉

Having seen the picture now I can also see why Bowie may have rejected it in 2013. It's rather unflattering, at least the one used on the cover.

Of course not. I've already explained how I think this single came about. There's no big plan to capitalise on anything. Otherwise they should have timed digital and physical release better. It's not hard to see why it would thrill him personally to have his name next to Bowie's on a 7".

But it's also clear that chart positions matter greatly to him. I think considerations regarding the chart placement always factor into any physical release he puts out and naturally he (as anyone) would expect Bowie's name to have a beneficial effect on that.
I therefore believe that anything but number one wouldn't have satisfied him, even if it's just the vinyl chart.
And three separate Central posts regarding this topic seem to confirm that.

I don't see a problem with any of this though and apparently neither does the Bowie estate. Bowie sang on the track, so it's logical to put his name on the record and his picture on the cover.

I think the main reason to release this wasn't profit or a number one in the charts but seeing his own name next to Bowie's, his childhood idol. The recording isn't great but for him it was a historical moment, the culmination of everything he'd hoped for as a small fat child sitting in his council house, listening to Starman over and over again.

And that's something I hope most of us are able to relate to in some way.

Because a lot of Bowie fans are heartless, materialistic vultures? 😉

Last edited:
The whole idea is that you seemed to be saying that Morrissey wouldn't release a single to capitalize on David Bowie because that wouldn't make sense or be popular.
I was saying that making sense is not really a priority and neither is being popular.
How you or I or anyone else would act is irrelevant but it's not an attack on Morrissey. I was simply saying that your argument which was basically that Morrissey wouldn't do this because it doesn't make sense only works if other things he does do consistently make sense.
They don't.
Lots of things do that lots of people do don't make sense on the surface but do when you understand their underlying motivations. This is why we have therapists.
Or me. :thumb:

I don't know? This is something you came up with. I am unaware of how Bowie fans feel about Morrissey or about how that might affect Morrissey's chances of having a hit record.
I didn't like Kristeen Young but it didn't stop me buying a Morrissey record she was featured on.
:mask:
WTF!!!! now its 'how you or I or ANYONE else would act is irrelevant"? WTFFFFFF? Just last post taking a poll before
acting was the psycho babble rule!!! :crazy:

Moz doesnt make sense all the time but thats because they actuall do when you understand the underlying motivations??? So they DO and they DONT.???:straightface:

You should take a poll before you act and you are good to go otherwise you are illogical and in need of a crackpot psycho babbler therapist to figure out that you were not illogical in the first place? then its the psycho babbler that would need a PS 'therapist' since he thinks peeps are illogical but arent.:mad:

is this it FC?:crazy:

The ‘whole idea’ to you?

‘seemed’ is the keyword here. Because your above comment does not reflect what I feel the reason is for this release, and I don’t believe there’s only just one reason. Also the reasons that I think he may have for releasing the single are only my opinion, and may be wrong.

For Morrissey?

How you or I or anyone else would act is irrelevant

I don’t think it’s irrelevant.
I think what we would do in a situation most likely
would inform and shape an opinion
we would have on a subject or situation even when the situation has nothing to do with us.

but it's not an attack on Morrissey. I was simply saying that your argument which was basically that Morrissey wouldn't do this because it doesn't make sense

I said if he was releasing this single with the only purpose of making money, then it would have been wiser to put an original on the b-side.
So if making money was his only aim, then using an original on the flip would then make more sense.

But, you corrected me and said that you were not talking about him making money. Ok I understand, moving on.

I am unaware of how Bowie fans feel about Morrissey or about how that might affect Morrissey's chances of having a hit record.

I was saying if some Bowie fans did not like Morrissey then they might
question his reason for releasing it.
I’m not saying I know how Bowie fans feel. I’m not saying that I know what Bowie fans think.

Good, I’m glad you could put the fact that she’s on his record to the side, and still buy the record.

The ‘whole idea’ to you?

‘seemed’ is the keyword here. Because your above comment does not reflect what I feel the reason is for this release, and I don’t believe there’s only just one reason. Also the reasons that I think he may have for releasing the single are only my opinion, and may be wrong.

For Morrissey?

I don’t think it’s irrelevant.
I think what we would do in a situation most likely
would inform and shape an opinion
we would have on a subject or situation even when the situation has nothing to do with us.

I said if he was releasing this single with the only purpose of making money, then it would have been wiser to put an original on the b-side.
So if making money was his only aim, then using an original on the flip would then make more sense.

But, you corrected me and said that you were not talking about him making money. Ok I understand, moving on.

I was saying if some Bowie fans did not like Morrissey then they might
question his reason for releasing it.
I’m not saying I know how Bowie fans feel. I’m not saying that I know what Bowie fans think.

Good, I’m glad you could put the fact that she’s on his record to the side, and still buy the record.

No one releases a cash-in five years after someone dies.

Probably mourning the past if the snippets on Central are anything to go by. 20, 40 & 60 are big transitions.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom