The Public Image?

"When I'm dead, it will be read: 'Here Lies the Public Image'"

How do you think media coverage of Morrissey, his presentation of himself, and his musical output, has changed and shaped perceptions of him as an artist and as a public figure over the last 27 years? After all, everything the general public really know of any 'celebrity' is what is shown to them, so it would be interesting to have a discussion of how or if this has changed with regards to Morrissey, both from the point of view of fans and in the eyes of others.

Well, I thought it was interesting. :o

Last edited:
"When I'm dead, it will be read: 'Here Lies the Public Image'"

How do you think media coverage of Morrissey, his presentation of himself, and his musical output, has changed and shaped perceptions of him as an artist and as a public figure over the last 27 years? After all, everything the general public really know of any 'celebrity' is what is shown to them, so it would be interesting to have a discussion of how or if this has changed with regards to Morrissey, both from the point of view of fans and in the eyes of others.

Well, I thought it was interesting. :o

I want to say that Morrissey, when he started out as the lead singer for The Smiths, was a somewhat fey, romantic character. Or at least that is how he presented himself. Very emotional, passionate and of course, sexually ambiguous. I believe as he has gotten older he presents himself more as
a man with strong wit, looks good in a suit or casual, but some of the
gentleness has gone. I believe that is just his maturity though and sure
his heart is still quite kind on the inside. He presents a much more masculine figure these days. Although still outspoken; I believe he has a sharper
edge than he used to......:)
However, having said all this, I think he has not lost anything in the process of getting older. He may have lost some of his less serious fans, and some
who were mainly into what he looks like, but I'm sure he has gained other
fans with a similar political and/or cultural outlook to his own.

Oh, and I think it's an interesting question too!:thumb:

I want to say that Morrissey, when he started out as the lead singer for The Smiths, was a somewhat fey, romantic character. Or at least that is how he presented himself. Very emotional, passionate and of course, sexually ambiguous. I believe as he has gotten older he presents himself more as
a man with strong wit, looks good in a suit or casual, but some of the
gentleness has gone. I believe that is just his maturity though and sure
his heart is still quite kind on the inside. He presents a much more masculine figure these days. Although still outspoken; I believe he has a sharper
edge than he used to......:)

However, having said all this, I think he has not lost anything in the process of getting older. He may have lost some of his less serious fans, and some
who were mainly into what he looks like, but I'm sure he has gained other
fans with a similar political and/or cultural outlook to his own.

Oh, and I think it's an interesting question too!:thumb:

Thanks for replying, mauve. :)

Yes, that's an interesting point actually- the media have helped to cultivate this in recent years I think. I would be interested to know who coined the term 'The Mozfather' actually, because that sort of portrayal is very much at odds with his 'image' in the early years.

Anyone else?

It is a very interesting question. As Mauve21 commented, when Morrissey first became famous with The Smiths, there was a genuine air of innocence about him, he had a child-like innocence. That has obviously gone now, the exterior is very tough, he trusts very few people. I think virtually the entire music industry regards him as 'difficult' and 'unrelenting', this is hardly surprising as Morrissey has never played the game, he's commented on numerous times that he dislikes the industry immensly, and has never been part of it. This is probably the reason why certain elements of it has tried on more than one occasion to destroy his career. He is one of the very few artists whose fanbase is largely fanatical and will stay that way, he doesn't seem to attract a lot of new fans, this is the reason why any new releases chart high in the first week and then plummet straight away. As far as knowing much about him goes, we know very little, he's still a mystery after all these years. Oh, it's late, I'm going to bed.

I like this thread and I'm disappointed that it didn't flow into full blown debate :(

Everyone knows Morrissey from The Smiths is a completely different Morrissey now...He started as the lead singer who held a bunch of flowers on stage with James Dean and Oscar Wilde as his heroes and that eventually vanished after The Smiths broke up and he created another public image, which was a lot stronger than he previously was! Maybe he did grow up, but he did leave some of his Smiths traits behind...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you basically asking for long lists of non fiction poetic prose about Morrissey? Because once you get this lot started, they shant stop

Are you basically asking for long lists of non fiction poetic prose about Morrissey? Because once you get this lot started, they shant stop

I am basically asking for that.

I'm waiting DAVIE ;)

Whoops I think I've left the bookful load of written notes in the car! *does a runner before gets stoned to death by Mozifrenics!* :lbf:

Whoops I think I've left the bookful load of written notes in the car! *does a runner before gets stoned to death by Mozifrenics!* :lbf:

Stop laughing at your own jokes Welsh Dave

Oh crap! Well, I have never considered the implications of "media coverage" on Morrissey, but when I think about it, it's the only knowledge I have of the man himself.

But I have always felt that Morrissey plays the media very well, that his grip is very controlling and manipulative. I think that the transformation we've seen, from spectral hand...ahem...from fey boy, to willfull 90s solo artist, to wayward and lost 00s soul, to strong and political gentlemen - it's only what we've been allowed to see, and allowed to see by Morrissey.

Does anyone disagree? :D

Ohhh, we have a sarcastic human being on the forum, trying to create some kind of tension or make some insult....Oh dear :confused:

Ohhh, we have a sarcastic human being on the forum, trying to create some kind of tension or make some insult....Oh dear :confused:

Who is that aimed at dear?

Oh crap! Well, I have never considered the implications of "media coverage" on Morrissey, but when I think about it, it's the only knowledge I have of the man himself.

But I have always felt that Morrissey plays the media very well, that his grip is very controlling and manipulative. I think that the transformation we've seen, from spectral hand...ahem...from fey boy, to willfull 90s solo artist, to wayward and lost 00s soul, to strong and political gentlemen - it's only what we've been allowed to see, and allowed to see by Morrissey.

Does anyone disagree? :D

Its all about image.You'll never see a pic of him buying bog roll at Asda

If it's aimed at no-one can we ignore it? I do hate internet arguments, especially among learned people like yourselves :(

My names Davie! I didn't laugh at what I was saying...I was laughing when I was typing it! Aye George is right...don't unsettle ourselves and this thread!

I am not arguing, purely posting

Back
Top Bottom