The Queen Is Dead 10" LP re-print for Record Store Day

The Seeker of Good Songs

the_smiths_tqid.jpg
The Smiths
The Queen Is Dead
10" LP. Re-print of The Smiths masterpiece The Queen Is Dead. Lovingly re-worked onto 10" by master vinyl-cutter Frank Arkwright, the record served as a blueprint for thousands more to come and its poignant social and political musings are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago.
Side 1, 1. The Queen Is Dead, 2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, 3. I Know It's Over, 4. Never Had No One Ever, 5. Cemetry Gates
Side 2, 6. Bigmouth Strikes Again, 7. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, 8. Vicar In A Tutu, 9. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, 10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Label: Rhino

RSD2011DATE.jpg

There’s less than a week left before that holiest of holy days for vinyl junkies: Record Store Day 2011, which, this year, will see special 12-inch and 7-inch releases in the U.S. and the U.K. by R.E.M., The Smiths, New Order and Joy Division, Kate Bush, Sonic Youth and many more (see list below).
Set for Saturday, the fourth-annual Record Store Day celebrates independent music shops, with stores participating around the United States and Great Britain — and more and more artists and record labels pressing up special (mostly) vinyl releases for the big day, some of which can only be purchased at a participating store on the day itself.
For the college-rock crowd, highlights of this year’s haul, in the U.S., include the first single by The Cars in decades (”Sad Song,” on 7-inch); a box set of three new R.E.M. 45s; a Kate Bush 10-inch EP culled from Hounds of Love; a 3CD compilation of Crowded House live tracks from 2010; and the first-ever U.S. pressings, on 12-inch, of early-’90s tour EPs by Nirvana (Hormoaning) and Sonic Youth (Whore’s Moaning).
Over in the U.K., title include The Smiths’ 1986 classic The Queen is Dead on double 10-inch vinyl; a split Joy Division/New Order 12-inch with both bands playing both “Ceremony” and “In a Lonely Place”; and a repress of the original radio promo 12-inch of Echo & The Bunnymen’s “The Killing Moon” featuring the studio version of “Do It Clean.”
You can find participating stores in the U.S. here and in the U.K. here.
See Record Store Day highlights after the jump…

U.S. Record Store Day releases include:
Bad Brains, “Pay to Cum,” 1980 single repressed (7-inch)
Bad Brains, God of Love, album repressed w/ bonus single (12-inch, 7-inch)
The Cars, “Sad Song,” two tracks off upcoming reunion album (7-inch)
Crowded House, North America Travelougue 2010, 3-disc live set (CD)
The dB’s, “Picture Sleeve,” two new songs from forthcoming album (7-inch)
Deftones, Covers, album w/ covers of The Cure, The Smiths, The Cars (12-inch)
Duran Duran, “Girl Panic!,” w/ David Lynch remix (7-inch)
The Flaming Lips, Heady Nuggs: The First 5 Warner Bros. Records 1992-2002 (12-inch)
Foo Fighters, Medium Rare, album w/ covers of Hüsker Dü, Gary Numan, Ramones (12-inch)
Green Day/Hüsker Dü, “I Don’t Want To Know If You Are Lonely,” split single (7-inch)
Grinderman, “Evil,” single with remix and live version (12-inch)
Grinderman, “Palaces of Montezuma,” single with remixes and B-side (12-inch)
Kate Bush, Hounds of Love: Collector’s Edition, EP w/ four tracks off the album (10-inch)
Nirvana, Hormoarning, 1992 Australia/Japan tour EP repressed (12-inch)
R.E.M., Three, box set of first three Collapse Into Now singles (7-inch)
Red Hot Chili Peppers/Ramones, “Havana Affair,” split single (7-inch)
Sonic Youth, Whore’s Moaning, 1993 Australia tour EP repressed (12-inch)
Television, Live At The Old Waldorf, 2LP live album from 1978 (12-inch)
See full U.S. Record Store Day list here.

U.K. Record Store Day releases include:
Art Of Noise, Into Battle with the Art of Noise, 2LP set on blue vinyl (12-inch)
Big Audio Dynamite, TBD, limited-edition numbered single (7-inch)
Blancmange, 21st Century Blanc Remixes Part 1, four-track EP (12-inch)
The Clash, “The Magnificent Seven,” on red vinyl and CD with different B-sides (7-inch, CD)
Echo & The Bunnymen, “The Killing Moon,” repress of promo w/ “Do It Clean” (12-inch)
Edwyn Collins & The Drums, “In Your Eyes”/”To Die For,” single (7-inch)
New Order/Joy Division, “Ceremony”/”In a Lonely Place,” bands play both songs (12-inch)
Primal Scream, Screamadelica, 2LP on red vinyl w/ Dixie Narco EP on black vinyl (12-inch)
Roxy Music, “Virginia Plain”/”Pyjamarama,” two classic singles combined (7-inch)
The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead, classic album on special 2LP set (10-inch)
See full U.K. Record Store Day list here.

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/04/11/record-store-day-list-rem-smiths-new-order-kate-bush-sonic-youth/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I asked Rough Trade and they should put it up for sale fairly soon.
Cheers Moz

I asked Rough Trade and they should put it up for sale fairly soon.
Cheers Moz

Hi mate,

I got my Headmaster Ritual RSD 7" from Rough Trade off ebay which was kinda surreal :eek:

Did they say if they would be using ebay again or will they be selling it through their webpage? I shall hopefully getting a copy from the nearest record shop to me.

I'm surprised at the apparent lack of interest in this release on this webpage.

I wonder if they'll use the 1993 WEA stamps for this pressing?

Sad and geeky enogh tobe ouside Piccadilly records Manchester at 9.00 this morning, but even i'm not sad n geeky enough to get in the back off this que, baring in mind this is half of it. not even for you IR looks like we'll both be trawling fleabay.qid 002.jpg

:D

5623604453_ab9683fccd_z.jpg

5623604459_ac046834f3_z.jpg

Thirty Quid! :eek: from my local Glasgow shop.

Joined the queue at ten past eight this morning, freezing cold, with about 40 or 50 punters already there. Finally got in around half nine, picked up the Suede demo debut 7" and the Edwyn Collins&The Drums 7", and asked at the counter for Queenie, only to be told they'd only got one copy in and it had already gone! "But I pre-ordered it", I squeeked,"Like ten days ago, my names in your order book, check the book!" By now only canines could hear my pleas. Just then the boss man emerged from out back with a shiny sealed Ten Inch Queen and laid it before me. The bloke next to me at the counter pointed at it with a gaping mouth - "But you said they were all gone!" ~ "This is for regulars mate." If the Man hadn't had a greying soul patch I would have kissed him!

It's a bit of a pity it's all sealed up cos I'd love to open it and check out the lovely gatefold with two 10 inches, the matrix message, etcetera.
But it's just too perfect to pierce :crazy:

:D

5623604453_ab9683fccd_z.jpg

5623604459_ac046834f3_z.jpg

Thirty Quid! :eek: from my local Glasgow shop.

Joined the queue at ten past eight this morning, freezing cold, with about 40 or 50 punters already there. Finally got in around half nine, picked up the Suede demo debut 7" and the Edwyn Collins&The Drums 7", and asked at the counter for Queenie, only to be told they'd only got one copy in and it had already gone! "But I pre-ordered it", I squeeked,"Like ten days ago, my names in your order book, check the book!" By now only canines could hear my pleas. Just then the boss man emerged from out back with a shiny sealed Ten Inch Queen and laid it before me. The bloke next to me at the counter pointed at it with a gaping mouth - "But you said they were all gone!" ~ "This is for regulars mate." If the Man hadn't had a greying soul patch I would have kissed him!

It's a bit of a pity it's all sealed up cos I'd love to open it and check out the lovely gatefold with two 10 inches, the matrix message, etcetera.
But it's just too perfect to pierce :crazy:

i got mine in Mono it was £19.99 , i assume you went to love music , i heard all singles had an £8 price tag in there - i got the edwin and drums sing , the talulah gosh , franz and the wave pictures album , i was so happy i got one

i got mine in Mono it was £19.99 , i assume you went to love music , i heard all singles had an £8 price tag in there - i got the edwin and drums sing , the talulah gosh , franz and the wave pictures album , i was so happy i got one

Yeah, I just can't get used to calling it lovemusic glasgow (although I suppose they don't need to specify the 'glasgow' now as the edinburgh branch is dead :()
Suede and Edwyn & The Drums were indeed £8 each! That track 'In Your Eyes' is a brilliant little pop song. I've had it rammed in my head since I heard it on the radio last month; Edwyn's and Jonathan's voices work beautifully together.

On a tangent ~ boy, there are some strange people around in Glasgow at ten past eight on a Saturday morning...:squiffy:

I got mine this morning and opened it - it's not a double lp - but one 10" vinyl. Artwork is the same as the original. enjoy

I got mine this morning and opened it - it's not a double lp - but one 10" vinyl. Artwork is the same as the original. enjoy

That's kind of disappointing. I was assured it was 2 discs.
Is there an etched matrix message?
Oh and have you played it? How does it sound?

I sent an e-mail to the nearest shop to me asking if they would keep a copy back for me and got no response :mad: So I caught a bus over to see whether they had any in or not only to be told they had already sold out and this was about 11:30.

Hoped
fully some will appear on ebay over the next few weeks at a more sensible price, bugger if I'm gonna pay an inflated price for a copy.

what i am finding quite funny about this whole thing is that a) moz has not made a comment on it yet and b) people on ebay are idiots. 29 copies on there..! firstly it's limited to 2000 NOT 800 !? and secondly it's 1 10" not 2. and ALSO, each copy is individually numbered on the inside so people could be sitting on a high number and not even know it. i like RSD but people need to stop trying to profiteer from it.

...Maybe it's just Me, but ....I really don't see the point of Record stores doing a promotion like this, and then having to turn people away "Empty handed", after queuing to try and actually SUPPORT the record stores in the first place, by attempting to buy something that they haven't got enough of in stock anyway.......(P.S, the "Staff" In HMV in Birkenhead UK seem to know an awful lot about Play station games and "X boxes" and stuff, but almost ZERO about any "New" musical releases...)....they sell some great Badges and T-shirts, and"Twilight" books , though....But the actual "Music" section is awful..).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom