"The Queen Is Dead" - 2017 re-issue details (CD, DVD box set out Oct. 20) - listing on Amazon UK

Amazon listings are up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Z9DQMJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073ZBHG1R

CD track-listing screenshot posted by Uncleskinny:

40378_tqid2017_tracklisting.png

UPDATE July 20:

Famous when dead added in the comments:

The US version is now listed minus any way to purchase it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZBHG1R/

lutewhine added in the comments:

Apple Music has 13 tracks "Live In Boston" after the extras listed on Amazon. (screenshots)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's the world peace reissue....?

Waiting for all the copies of the last pressing to sell, I imagine. If you really feel you need the reissue, I'd suggest giving up smoking and eating five a day, and you might just make it.

Reckon keep getting the brittish money without having to tour there. Mporium UK...Smiths outtakes YouTube "reissues" and then have people start rumors about John Maher "remastering". Reckon how can John Maher re-master when he is in backyard shootin' hoops in Portland, Oregon wearing his Nike Air Jordans with trips down to LA to go boogie boarding with Uncle Steve and lil' Sammy at Zuma. No, John Lydon is not allowed anymore. You people are so desperate.

So, since the leak in 2009 from the proto cd-r they've sat on this for 8 years and thought: ah, 31st anniversary sounds like the right time! I'd love to know the reasoning behind these decisions sometimes

The person who has traditionally been the one responsible for blocking and holding up Smiths releases is Morrissey, due to the fact that he earns no money from the Smiths, as his royalties are sent directly to Mike Joyce following his refusal to pay him the money he legally owes. I can only presume that either the bill has now been paid in full, or they have arranged some kind of workaround.

In short, this is what Johnny Marr said about the 90's Smiths remasters and his remastering in "Set the Boy Free":

"Unfortunately for The Smiths, I wasn’t consulted when the catalogue was remastered for the CDs in the nineties. The albums all came out after some mastering engineer had randomly made all kinds of adjustments, which meant they sounded nothing like they did to me when I made them. It was a huge source of frustration and disappointment to see the albums released when I knew that they sounded wrong, and I was determined to put it right."

"Going through The Smiths’ album catalogue and working on it song by song was a real labour of love. I started with ‘Hand in Glove’ and went chronologically to the end. I knew every guitar part, bass note and cymbal crash, and when I analysed the records I was struck by how good the band were as an ensemble and just how young we all were when we were together. My job was to be as technical as possible in restoring the records to exactly how they sounded in the studio, but I was able to recall the exact intention and emotion that went into every note and word when each song was originally made. Working on the records again made me proud of the band, and I texted Morrissey and Andy and said, You can really hear the love in it. It was good to get a nice reply from both of them."

'Working on the records again made me proud of the band, and I texted Morrissey and Andy and said, You can really hear the love in it. It was good to get a nice reply from both of them'

What? Johnny didn't text Joyce too? I wonder why.

I wish they would remix the first record, I'm sure it would be if not great, then at least interesting.

If you're happy, there's no need to worry. But they would have probably sounded a tiny bit better if they had used old Rough Trade CDs as their starting point instead. The EQ of the remasters is better (leaving aside the issue of loudness), but there's also some clarity and definition lost.
Alright I'll keep my ears open for when people get it. We'll wait and see.

I would imagine that some people would baulk at the price and the re-re-re-reissue and ilegally download it from thier favourite torrent website.

I find these people despicable.

So, not quite everything available on the 20th anniversary reference disc, but we finally get the vast majority of it.

As predicted early this year, oldsmithscollector has done very well indeed.

View attachment 41874

I find it annoying that they wont include everything that is on that promo cd. (as it looks right now.)

Also I do hope their will be a proper vinyl edition too, not just the regular TQID with a download code for the second disc.

I very much doubt they have remastered the album again. Johnny's remaster was perfect, no need to do it again at all. I wonder why the "Vicar in a tutu" demo is not included.

'Working on the records again made me proud of the band, and I texted Morrissey and Andy and said, You can really hear the love in it. It was good to get a nice reply from both of them'

What? Johnny didn't text Joyce too? I wonder why.

Probably because Morrissey is devious, truculent and unreliable.

I just hope Morrissey isn't responsible for the remaster, or he'll cut bits out of songs he doesn't like.

More like half of it - there are only 9 previously unreleased tracks according to Amazon, one of which has already been released as a single. I'm a bit surprised the main album has been remastered again, seeing as Johynny only did it himself a few years ago. I wonder if he has anything to do with this release, or if it's been taken out of his hands? (the lack of any mention from him regarding the last couple of single reissues makes me wonder if Moz has wrestled back control).

13 tracks out of 18 is the majority, perhaps not a vast majority, but the majority still.

The 5 missing tracks are:

The Queen Is Dead instrumental demo - already leaked
Unlovable demo - already leaked
Vicar In A Tutu instrumental demo
Never Had No One Ever instrumental demo
Frankly Mr Shankly studio outtake (which is very similar to the final version)

So all in all, a couple of instrumentals and a rather unexciting version of Frankly still to surface.

This site listed Canadian and US Amazon links which now resolve to errors (unsure if the OP's hyperlinks are duff or they were removed by Amazon).
The OP cites Rhino as the label - as opposed to 'unassigned' via UK Amazon.
Regards,
FWD.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103160&p=2845505

It seems the listing WAS removed on the Canadian and US Amazons.
20170718_110036.png

(source: http://forum.popjustice.com/threads/the-reissue-thread.15534/page-816#post-5520796).

After looking on the UK site, I have to admit (as an Amazon shopper since day 1) that I have never seen anything listed in this way:
"TS OA + AR"

Last edited:
In short, this is what Johnny Marr said about the 90's Smiths remasters and his remastering in "Set the Boy Free":

"Unfortunately for The Smiths, I wasn’t consulted when the catalogue was remastered for the CDs in the nineties. The albums all came out after some mastering engineer had randomly made all kinds of adjustments, which meant they sounded nothing like they did to me when I made them. It was a huge source of frustration and disappointment to see the albums released when I knew that they sounded wrong, and I was determined to put it right."

"Going through The Smiths’ album catalogue and working on it song by song was a real labour of love. I started with ‘Hand in Glove’ and went chronologically to the end. I knew every guitar part, bass note and cymbal crash, and when I analysed the records I was struck by how good the band were as an ensemble and just how young we all were when we were together. My job was to be as technical as possible in restoring the records to exactly how they sounded in the studio, but I was able to recall the exact intention and emotion that went into every note and word when each song was originally made. Working on the records again made me proud of the band, and I texted Morrissey and Andy and said, You can really hear the love in it. It was good to get a nice reply from both of them."
I thought Morrissey had no mobile phone

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom