"The Queen Is Dead" - 2017 re-issue details (CD, DVD box set out Oct. 20) - listing on Amazon UK

Amazon listings are up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Z9DQMJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073ZBHG1R

CD track-listing screenshot posted by Uncleskinny:

40378_tqid2017_tracklisting.png

UPDATE July 20:

Famous when dead added in the comments:

The US version is now listed minus any way to purchase it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZBHG1R/

lutewhine added in the comments:

Apple Music has 13 tracks "Live In Boston" after the extras listed on Amazon. (screenshots)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Working on the records again made me proud of the band, and I texted Morrissey and Andy and said, You can really hear the love in it. It was good to get a nice reply from both of them'

What? Johnny didn't text Joyce too? I wonder why.

There's an alternative version of that tale from an interview a few years ago:

When Marr remastered the Smiths' back catalogue two years ago, he emailed Morrissey (along with all his ex-bandmates) saying he could hear the love in the music, but didn't hear back. "It was a nice way to leave it, I think," he considers, tiptoeing carefully around too much discussion of his former partner. "You can only try and be friendly with someone for so long without getting anything back. You just think: 'Ah, f*** it.'"

This site listed Canadian and US Amazon links which now resolve to errors (unsure if the OP's hyperlinks are duff or they were removed by Amazon).
The OP cites Rhino as the label - as opposed to 'unassigned' via UK Amazon.
Regards,
FWD.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103160&p=2845505

It seems the listing WAS removed on the Canadian and US Amazons.
View attachment 41882
(source: http://forum.popjustice.com/threads/the-reissue-thread.15534/page-816#post-5520796).

After looking on the UK site, I have to admit (as an Amazon shopper since day 1) that I have never seen anything listed in this way:
"TS OA + AR"

I had the same feeling, since the name of the artist is one of the first things Amazon shows. I wonder if this is legal considering Warner owns the rights of the material. Guess that's why it's TS instead of The Smiths. Some people should be told scamming is not a virtue.

Interesting ... I think I recall reading that somewhere. Maybe the tale in the book is how Johnny wished things had gone?

Getting back to the TQID remasters ... do we know for sure that they aren't Johnny's remasters? Strange, but maybe they're calling them "2017 master" since they have not been released prior to this?

BTW, in case anyone is not totally clear on what "mastering" is in the first place... once again I quote Johnny:

Mastering is the last stage of making a record, whereby all the songs are put in the correct order with the required length of silence in between them. The volume of each song is checked and adjusted so everything is at the same level and it all hangs together and hopefully will sound perfect.

I always attended the mastering process for The Smiths’ records. I regarded it as a professional obligation as a producer, and I wasn’t about to let someone mess around with the sound of the records after I’d put so much work into making them. There’s a lot you can do in the mastering process to make a record sound better if need be. You can add high-end equalisation to make it sparkle more, or you can add or reduce bass levels to make it more or less weighty.

Last edited:
In a 2007 NME interview, when questioned about the best gig he’d ever played, Johnny Marr said: “Salford University in 1986 with The Smiths. The PA had to be tied down because the floor was bouncing up so high that the stage was practically falling to pieces. I’ve actually got that night on film somewhere. The Smiths were pretty full-on as a live band. Even the slow songs were full-on. I doubt we ever played a bad show.“

Here's hoping

http://www.mancky.co.uk/?p=1170

Nice write up in the link there Allie.

I think the likelihood of the DVD being anything other than the Jarman films is zero though.

When Johnny says "I've actually got that night on film somewhere" I think he means he got a copy of the audience shot footage. Even if he did have another camera there the quality won't be any better and likely not acceptable for formal release.

Unless this gets a double vinyl release I'll be skipping it.

Nice write up in the link there Allie.

I think the likelihood of the DVD being anything other than the Jarman films is zero though.

When Johnny says "I've actually got that night on film somewhere" I think he means he got a copy of the audience shot footage. Even if he did have another camera there the quality won't be any better and likely not acceptable for formal release.

Unless this gets a double vinyl release I'll be skipping it.

The story is that Johnny and Angie hired some high-end video cameras to record the gig. Three, I think, with two mounted each side of the balcony in the hall, filming fixed positions, and the third on Angie's shoulder from the wings and, possibly, occasionally from the stage. This is the footage Johnny has. Not fully pro TV-style footage, but much better than an audience bootleg. A while ago, possibly during the original re-releases work that ended up petering out into the Complete boxset, this material was edited together and married with Grant Showbiz's soundboard recording with the idea that it would be released.

I don't have any reason to be sure that this will form part of the new TQID release. Maybe it turned out to be not good enough quality in the end.

I don't think there will be any Derek Jarman on there, though, because he was very rude about Morrissey not long before he died.

Last edited:
Interesting. The DVD could always contain the tv appearances contemporary to the period i.e. "Bigmouth..." and "Vicar..." on the Whilst Test, "Panic" and "There is a light..." on the Tube, plus any TOTP bits?

I don't trust the word 'remaster'. It can mean so many different processes. Typically, music fans appear to think remastering is about cleaning up old recordings to make them sound better than before. However, if you do nothing more than change the output level of the record that's also a remaster. In fact, this is quite likely, and much more common than any extensive restoration on records...

Wow, I remember that now. Funny that Marr changed his story in his biography. Maybe he forgot what he said in that interview, or maybe it was a chance to say indirectly that he wants nothing to do with Joyce anymore.

We caught Marr lying, but lets try and forgive him.

A white lie, maybe. I think it's obvious he didn't want people pouring over his book for evidence of Morrissey being a git, and he's within his rights, IMO. It's undoubtedly not the sole example of airbrushed reality in the book.

A white lie, maybe. I think it's obvious he didn't want people pouring over his book for evidence of Morrissey being a git, and he's within his rights, IMO. It's undoubtedly not the sole example of airbrushed reality in the book.
'I think it's obvious he didn't want people pouring over his book for evidence of Morrissey being a git,'

Why do you think that?

Why would Marr go through the trouble of doing that? how would it benefit him? To avoid being questioned about how he really feels about M in interviews, or maybe he still somehow thinks a reunion is possible, and doesn't want to close the door all the way?

Of course people will have opinions, but there is no evidence of M 'being a git'. :cool:

Marr lied, let us all just try and forget it and move on.

Last edited:
Why would Marr go through the trouble of doing that? how would it benefit him? To avoid being questioned about how he really feels about M in interviews, or maybe he still somehow thinks a reunion is possible, and doesn't want to close the door all the way?

Maybe those things are part of it, who knows, but I think Marr approached his book with the view, rightly or wrongly, that he wanted to avoid doing anything to sully the reputation of the Smiths or of Morrissey. Even if that meant glossing over certain episodes. He just doesn't think autobiographies should be about dishing dirt. And even a grain of dirt can attract attention like a magnet.

You're right though, there's a clear unambiguous lie here. But it's not always wrong to varnish the truth if it spares people's feelings and if knowing the truth doesn't particularly help the reader.

Last edited:
Maybe those things are part of it, who knows, but I think Marr approached his book with the view, rightly or wrongly, that he didn't wanted to avoid doing anything to sully the reputation of the Smiths or of Morrissey. Even if that meant glossing over certain episodes. He just doesn't think autobiographies should be about dishing dirt. And even a grain of dirt can attract attention like a magnet.

You're right though, there's a clear unambiguous lie here. But it's not always wrong to varnish the truth if it spares people's feelings and if knowing the truth doesn't particularly help the reader.

'but I think Marr approached his book with the view, rightly or wrongly, that he didn't wanted to avoid doing anything to sully the reputation of the Smiths or of Morrissey.'

But he feels it's alright to 'sully the reputation of the Smiths or of Morrissey' in an interview, but not in his book?

'But it's not always wrong to varnish the truth if it spares people's feelings'

But when he lied (changed his story) to not include Joyce in the texting of his former band members, when he actually did.

Do you think he was 'sparing peoples feelings' by doing that?

But he feels it's alright to 'sully the reputation of the Smiths or of Morrissey' in an interview, but not in his book?

Yes, either because he feels differently about books and interviews, or because you don't get so much time to think in an interview, and he later regretted being so candid.

But when he lied (changed his story) to not include Joyce in the texting of his former band members, when he actually did.

Do you think he was 'sparing peoples feelings' by doing that?

I think he cares more about Morrissey's feelings than Mike's, and also knows that Morrissey is more easily offended.

Last edited:
Yes, either because he feels differently about books and interviews, or because you don't get so much time to think in an interview, and he later regretted being so candid.

I think he cares more about Morrissey's feelings than Mike's.

I'm just wondering what is true.What he said in that interview or what he wrote in his book?

'I think he cares more about Morrissey's feelings than Mike's.'

yes, I agree. But it is telling of Marr to go through the trouble of changing his story just to stick it to Joyce. I mean this is proof that Marr's NOT the angel people think him to be. Of course, in this instance, who can blame him.

Though it will be difficult from now on to trust what Marr says, never thought I'd have to say that. :(

Saw a couple of related items today. Shamelessly pinched from RF's link:
Didn't remember that the process took place at Abbey Road.

Frank Arkwright (Abbey Road)
The Smiths – Complete

"Remastering all their albums and singles. I spent three brilliant weeks with Johnny Marr working on it. He was designing a new Fender Jaguar signature guitar as we worked, and checking out the prototype. He gave me my first guitar lesson. How Soon Is Now of course. Paul Weller and Bernard Butler joined us for some of it, so I was in good company."

https://www.abbeyroad.com/news/meet-the-talent-frank-arkwright-2225

NME's quote from JM at the time:
"Marr said of the reissues, which will be released on both CD and 12″ vinyl, “I’m very happy that the remastered versions of The Smiths albums are finally coming out. I wanted to get them sounding right and remove any processing so that they now sound as they did when they were originally made. I’m pleased with the results.”

The debate as to what constituted removing 'any processing' is certainly a fascinating one. I'd tend to agree that yet another remaster won't happen given the disc was being prepared 8 years ago - It will probably just be resurrected as is.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom