"The Queen Is Dead" - 2017 re-issue full track listings and details - SuperDeluxeEdition

The site super deluxe edition, have this extra info....
A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

Five LP vinyl release, with 2 cds sounds nice.

The Smiths / The Queen is Dead reissue - SuperDeluxeEdition
by Paul Sinclair

Excerpt:

First Smiths deluxe • 3CD+DVD • 5LP vinyl • hi-res on DVD
Warners will issue a four-disc deluxe edition of The Smiths 1986 album The Queen Is Dead in October this year.

The album is generally considered to be the band’s best work (although for this writer Strangeways, Here We Come gives it a good run for its money) and features the classic There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (only a single in France at the time, fact fans).

There are three physical formats for this release – which as you will note has updated artwork – a 3CD+DVD deluxe includes the remastered album, a bonus CD of demos, alternates and b-sides, a further CD: Live In Boston (recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986) and a DVD featuring the 2017 master of the album in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo. The DVD also includes The Queen Is Dead – A Film By Derek Jarman.

A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

All formats of this The Queen Is Dead reissue will be released on 20 October 2017. The four-disc deluxe is well-priced (similar to Prince) and is currently £25 in the UK (this may even come down further).

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how many of these demos have been leaked previously? Seems like... maybe all but 2-3?

Does anyone know how many of these demos have been leaked previously? Seems like... maybe all but 2-3?

It's hard to be sure, because it's possible that tracks we think we've heard before will turn out to be different versions. That happened with the demo of Rubber Ring that was on the b-side of the Record Store Day single.

But I would guess four or five will be previously unavailable. I Know It's Over, Cemetry Gates and Some Girls definitely. Frankly Mr Shankly appears to be a different version to the one previously leaked. Never Had No-one is billed here as a demo, whereas the leaked version is an alternative mix.

Here's the tracklist for the concert CD:

1. How Soon Is Now?
2. Hand In Glove
3. I Want The One I Can't Have
--- (missing song) Still Ill
--- (missing song) Frankly, Mr. Shankly
--- (missing song) Panic
4. Never Had No One Ever
5. Stretch Out And Wait
6. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
7. Cemetry Gates
8. Rubber Ring/ What She Said / Rubber Ring (basically What She Said w/ Rubber Ring intro and outro)
9. Is It Really So Strange?
10. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
11. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
12. The Queen Is Dead
--- (missing song) Money Changes Everything
13. I Know It's Over
--- (missing song) Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
--- (missing song) Bigmouth Strikes Again

Wow, 6 songs missing.

It's hard to be sure, because it's possible that tracks we think we've heard before will turn out to be different versions. That happened with the demo of Rubber Ring that was on the b-side of the Record Store Day single.

But I would guess four or five will be previously unavailable. I Know It's Over, Cemetry Gates and Some Girls definitely. Frankly Mr Shankly appears to be a different version to the one previously leaked. Never Had No-one is billed here as a demo, whereas the leaked version is an alternative mix.
Actually the Never Had No One Ever that leaked was not an alternate mix, it was a demo version with sax and different vocals.

Actually the Never Had No One Ever that leaked was not an alternate mix, it was a demo version with sax and different vocals.

No, it's the same vocal track most of the way through. The finished version has additional guitar, Morrissey's sobbing vocal in place of a different vocal for that section and no trumpet (it's not a sax), but the leaked version is a monitor mix from the same session. Play them both together if you want to know for sure.

No, it's the same vocal track. The finished version has additional guitar, Morrissey's sobbing vocal and no trumpet (it's not a sax), but the leaked version is a monitor mix from the same session. Play them both together if you want to know for sure.

I've never cared for this song, at least the Smiths' version. Billy Bragg, however, does a great cover. With saxophone, incidentally.

its not £57 its £67 and even with free post on Amazon pre Order it jumps up to £71 - WTF https://www.amazon.co.uk/Queen-Dead...75774&sr=8-2&keywords=the+queen+is+dead+vinyl
I ordered mine from Amazon UK today and payed 58 pounds... this price is for when you dispatch to a US address... I did it dispatching to France and the price was full 69,99... I dunno why they have a discount to the US... It coincides with the VAT discount, so it should be the taxfree price. Same with the 3CD/1DVD

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't get the five lp thing. The mentioned tracks for the cd-box can easily be fitted onto three lp's. What am I missing?

I don't get the five lp thing. The mentioned tracks for the cd-box can easily be fitted onto three lp's. What am I missing?
Culled from a couple of sites:
5lp box – featuring the 2017 master of the album, additional recordings and the ‘live in boston’ recording. housed in lift-off box with 2 double gatefolds and 1 single sleeve pressed on 180g heavy weight vinyl.

Which breaks down to:
  1. lp 1 – original album: 2017 master
  2. lp 2 & 3 – additional recordings
  3. lp 4 & 5 – ‘live in boston’ – previously unreleased.
So get ready to flip records.
Personally, I'm gutted the DVD is just another version of the album and no live footage - a wasted opportunity.
Regards,
FWD.

Yes, I read all that. (They seem to quote each other.) But why do the alternative tracks of the original lp suddenly need a double lp, for instance?

The mock-ups seem validated online.
They are both on Amazon (UK & USA...).

41ehYbBKi-L._SY400_.jpg

Pictured: the vinyl set to add to the CD images above (preorder £70 - well done to those who got it for £57).
Regards,
FWD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Queen-Dead-Master-Deluxe-VINYL/dp/B073Z9DRFQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073Z9DRFQ/
The American Amazon lists it for $90 and is called an 'import'.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wow I've never heard this before. I hope this is on the album. Superb

There is a Google Drive download link for the mp3 in the video's description if anyone's missing it since the soundcloud link is long gone.
I believe U.Skinny shared this with us a while back (Xmas '15). I think there are 2 unreleased takes of this song - one was instrumental minus trumpets (please correct me if wrong).

From Goddard's STSYL:
"Morrissey completed its two short verses by the next album session at Jacobs that winter, also overdubbing some deranged laughter towards the finale. This second stab at ‘Never Had No One Ever’ would be one of two alternate ‘Trumpet Versions’ that nearly made it onto The Queen Is Dead. During its plodding, repetitive climax, Morrissey’s bizarre vocal shrieks are complimented by jazzy trumpet wails, raising its mournful sentiment to that of a New Orleans funeral procession. The addition of a trumpet — which couldn’t be so easily mimicked on an Emulator like strings or woodwind — appears to have been Morrissey’s idea, as Mike Joyce elaborates: ‘We got in this BBC orchestra guy, he was about 50. He was very polite, he seemed very straight and he just asked, “What do you want me to do?” But the thing was he was quite eccentric himself. So when he started playing this wild jazz it sounded ridiculous. I remember us all trying not to laugh. I think the moment Morrissey heard it he just creased up.’ As with the doomed trumpet take of ‘Frankly, Mr Shankly’, this novel ‘jazz version’ of ‘Never Had No One Ever’ would have radically altered the tone of The Queen Is Dead. ‘It was just experimentation really,’ says Marr, ‘I don’t remember much about it, other than it being hilarious.’ Pared down to a three-and-a-half minute Mancunian blues dirge, the final master was swamped in otherworldly guitar, Morrissey’s primal burbling now replaced by lonesome whistling."

It would be nice to have this version on CD & vinyl.
There will be a live version of NHNOE on the 21st of August to tide people until the boxes release.
Via: http://www.officialsmiths.co.uk/tqid/#
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Unaware if these little promo quotes have been posted before. í just saw them on the amazon "QiD" page. Unaware also if they are new {and provided by Warners} or culled from some old interview; but í can't recall reading them.

Morrissey ~ "You cannot continue to record and simply hope that your audience will approve, or that average critics will approve, or that radio will approve. You progress only when you wonder if an abnormally scientific genius would approve – and this is the leap The Smiths took with The Queen Is Dead."

Johnny Marr ~ “The Queen Is Dead was epic to make and epic to live.”

í am not sure í understand either quote fully, but there they are.

I ordered mine from Amazon UK today and payed 58 pounds... this price is for when you dispatch to a US address... I did it dispatching to France and the price was full 69,99... I dunno why they have a discount to the US... It coincides with the VAT discount, so it should be the taxfree price. Same with the 3CD/1DVD

Same. But I opted only for CD box. Can't wait. The critics FINALLY got it right with TQID. I wish there were more visual treats though, that really is disappointing.

From an advertising email today:
20171007_072350.png

Regards,
FWD.

The above is now also on posters on the London Underground - some hard cash going into this

Wow I've never heard this before. I hope this is on the album. Superb

jesus! that's f..ing hilarious ! now we know what the laughing that is on there was all about.

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom