"The Queen Is Dead" (2017 re-issue) released (Oct. 20, 2017)

The Queen Is Dead (2017 re-issue) is out now.
40862_8152SSTy9uL._SL1500_.jpg

Spotify:

Buy on Amazon

Last edited:
i dug out all my bootlegs on tape and I have a copy of the California gig from the same tour. Listening to it I prefer the rawness of the bootleg with more of a feeling of the crowd and the hysteria. On this Boston cleaned up version the crowd are faded out and you can tell it’s come too direct from the sound desk. Also, yes I agree regarding the seminal colours of deep green and pink. I guess black and White is cheaper. It’s all so un Smiths like. Thought Morrissey was a perfectionist. However, judging by the artwork of the new stuff, I’m now not sure. Perhaps SER has been made Creative Director. Pilgrimupnorth

Yes, I noticed that. Naked Morrissey c***ery.

Have to agree but Marr must share the blame as well I'd have thought. It's childish and it's silly but very typical. Probably something to do with money.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Have to agree but Marr must share the blame as well I'd have thought.

Johnny doesn't appear to have been involved in the packaging. I'd speculate that his non-involvement was necessary in order for it to happen. Evidence: his lack of doing anything to promote it or the preceding vinyl releases, except one cryptic twitter post, his lack of involvement in the mastering, Morrissey's on-record annoyance that Johnny collaborated with Warners on Complete, in spite of lawyer's letters.

Johnny doesn't appear to have been involved in the packaging. I'd speculate that his non-involvement was necessary in order for it to happen. Evidence: his lack of doing anything to promote it or the preceding vinyl releases, except one cryptic twitter post, his lack of involvement in the mastering, Morrissey's on-record annoyance that Johnny collaborated with Warners on Complete, in spite of lawyer's letters.

Interesting.
Thanks

BtBB :greatbritain::knife:

Think it's actually a shabby chic design choice. The cover image can't be righ-res, because it's presumably from a DVD still. So they've downgraded the gatefold image to match. Not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's not like they've had it printed on a second-hand household inkjet just to save pennies

No, its not a design choice. It’s just very poor implementation. L’Insoumis just went through a complete restoration so high res scans are available. They just didn’t bother to try to put together a quality package.

Agree.
I think with all the effort JM put in to the remastering - it must have been like a kick to the gonads to have it remastered yet again.
Marr said at the time (2011):
“I’m very happy that the remastered versions of The Smiths albums are finally coming out. I wanted to get them sounding right and remove any processing so that they now sound as they did when they were originally made. I’m pleased with the results.”
I'd feel more than snubbed in that situation.
His efforts gave us this:
SmithsCompletePR270711.jpg

Which wasn't exactly a poor effort!
He was probably fed up with even more repackaging.
Regards,
FWD.

If you listen to Johnny’s version what you do hear is a constant effort to bury Morrissey in a sea of compressed mid range it brings out the guitars at the expense of his voice . Just listened to an original version and it’s very obvious . I’m sure the compromise no doubt was to let Morrissey have his go this time . Certainly the packaging has his stamp all over it. Regardless there’s certainly no way this set saw the light of day without Marrs full, even if grudging , approval. And when faced with the compromise of a muffled Audience recording versus a chrisp desk recording .With a decent if not perfect balance , I’ll take the desk recording anytime.

Bought the 3 CD box set today from Jumbo in Leeds. Thought Boston gig was a bit poor sound wise and really disappointed with the quality of the product. The gatefold image is poorly reproduced and there is no accompanying literature regarding the album or its recording. Also found that the lyric brochure looked super cheap. Incorrect lyrics to Queen is Dead. Anyone buying this deserves a well thought out product. Lacks the finesse of a true Smiths release. Still waiting for the tote bag.., Pilgrimupnorth

THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPED ! :lightbulb::eek:

Something has always not felt as it should about all this.
Cornflakes response to my post and other posts on here got me thinking.

Radio silence from Johnny, Mike, Andy and Craig

The lightbulb moment ! ! ! !

The dildo nephew revealing the sleeve art ! When I saw that my first reaction was why the 4ck would Johnny Marr allow that ?
The line above says a lot "anyone buying this deserves a well thought out product"
The merch reminds me of List of the Lost tacky shite merch.

This product is very highly at risk as being the work of the grubby money grabbing family Maurice.

If that is the case ! It's NOT animal friendly (just like Glastonbury) and may have to get the #Boycott treatment .

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Wasn't Craig Gannon on the 86 tour?

No mention of him anywhere regarding the Boston Show.

The fact that Craig Gannon is not mentioned on the spectacular live CD is shameful! The second guitar is what makes the live CD so great - it gives Johnny room to really soar. Morrissey can sure hold a grudge.

I have the 2CD edition, not the 3 CD deluxe edition. I am curious about the additional covers. The cover for Live in Boston with Kerouac listening to the radio has appeared, but I haven't seen a clear copy of the final product. I also haven't seen the final image for Additional Recordings. Does anybody mind sharing those images? Thank you!

Overall, underwhelmed. Especially as Boston is six songs short with 25 spare minutes on the disc. Let alone any mention of Gannon on the sleeve.

Years of refusal was really the only album I have never cared for. I would be delighted if it’s as good as ring leader of tormentors.

I just recieved my CD box set of the rerelease and it made me wonder if I still had my tattered poster from another release... I was suprised it survived...
20171023_142149.jpg

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom