3The Trash Can SinatrasI Know It's Over6:16
4Billy BraggNever Had No One Ever3:35
5The Frank And WaltersCemetry Gates4:15
6PlaceboBigmouth Strikes Again3:50
7BisThe Boy With A Thorn In His Side3:21
8Therapy?Vicar In A Tutu2:42
9The Divine ComedyThere Is A Light That Never Goes Out5:17
10SupergrassSome Girls Are Bigger Than Others3:34

Very unpopular opinion here but Placebo's Bigmouth Strikes Again is my favourite Smiths cover version and probably the only one I still listen to regularly.

Very unpopular opinion here but Placebo's Bigmouth Strikes Again is my favourite Smiths cover version and probably the only one I still listen to regularly.
What??

I actually do like Supergrass, but their cover of SGABTO is, frankly, shite.

Edit 1: After experiencing some of these abominations I need to go & cleanse my mind & ears by playing the PROPER versions.
Edit 2: I particularly loathe the BB cockney version of NHNOE

What??

I actually do like Supergrass, but their cover of SGABTO is, frankly, shite.

Well, what can I say...

I love the lyrical changes Brian made too ("discman" instead of "walkman" and "megadrive" instead of "hearing aid") and I think they inspired Morrissey's own changes ("ipod") when he started singing the song live again a couple of years later.

Placebo kind of owe their career to Moz because they took over his opening slot when he left the Bowie Outside tour.

dc26126dc9f844c0826915c65c332529.jpg

Talking of covers, I'm sure Radiohead covered Headmaster Ritual some time ago which, if I recall correctly was very good.

Talking of covers, I'm sure Radiohead covered Headmaster Ritual some time ago which, if I recall correctly was very good.

Yes, they did - live. It wasn't bad (Johnny made fun of Ed O'Brien afterwards for not getting all the chords right, I think). I also like Noel's version of There Is A Light... But Placebo's version is the only one I really listen to.

Yes, they did - live. It wasn't bad (Johnny made fun of Ed O'Brien afterwards for not getting all the chords right, I think). I also like Noel's version of There Is A Light... But Placebo's version is the only one I really listen to.

Yes, I've just been watching Noel Gallagher do There Is A Light...not bad at all.

So, this has made me wonder if anyone has ever covered a Moz-solo track at all (as opposed to the stuff from The Smiths days)?
Thought I'd put it out there for the sages to ponder...

So, this has made me wonder if anyone has ever covered a Moz-solo track at all (as opposed to the stuff from The Smiths days)?

There are many covers of Morrissey solo songs out there.

I really love The Pretenders' version of Everyday Is Like Sunday.

The Killers' version of Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself is also pretty well known (but I can't stand it).

MCR's Jack the Ripper is legendary among fans.

Tiger Army, who supported him in 2006, did a fun cover of The Loop.

Doll and the Kicks (another former support act of his) did a lovely version of I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris.

Colin Meloy did a whole EP of Morrissey covers.

Edit: 10.000 Maniacs - Everyday Is Like Sunday

and - of course - Nancy Sinatra - Let Me Kiss You and Marianne Faithfull - Dear God Please Help Me

That's just a few off the top of my head.

Last edited:
There are many covers of Morrissey solo songs out there.

I really love The Pretenders' version of Everyday Is Like Sunday.

The Killers' version of Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself is also pretty well known (but I can't stand it).

MCR's Jack the Ripper is legendary among fans.

Tiger Army, who supported him in 2006, did a fun cover of The Loop.

Doll and the Kicks (another former support act of his) did a lovely version of I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris.

Colin Meloy did a whole EP of Morrissey covers.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
Thanks.

Oh and there's a whole folder of cover versions included in the last volume of Sisterama.

Oh my, been looking for years to find this one and now the link isn't working anymore. Please please please could someone re-up this one?

Oh my, been looking for years to find this one and now the link isn't working anymore. Please please please could someone re-up this one?
Zippyshare gets blocked by a lot of ISPs.
The link works fine, but here is the file above via wetransfer:
FWD.

I see. Thank you very much. I really appreciate this.

The only decent cover i ve ever heard of any Smiths or Moz is the Doll and kicks cover of Paris which is lovely.
I love that cover too. Think my favourite Moz cover remains The Pretenders' version of Everyday Is Like Sunday though.

Back
Top Bottom