The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen them 4 times since 1989. They’ve been kicking every time. ALWAYS tight, top-shelf sound and lighting. I haven’t seen them since Hooky departed. ...but I went and saw him with The Light - at a small venue - a couple of years back and they it was a real treat! ;)

You were lucky to get 4 great gigs and nowadays they are always bang on with great lighting shows. In the 80's and 90's I always enjoyed the intrigue as to which New Order you were going to get. Sometimes they were absolutely brilliant, some times they were utter shite and now and again they were proper twats.

Stop exploiting Morrissey for your disgusting racism.

In his hour of need he didn't turn to the white race or Blighty - he turned to the global Catholic church & many Gods.
Nerak it's not racist to stand up for your culture or your way of life. You bend over backwards to defend any minorities' culture regardless of how toxic it is but as soon as someone dares to stand up for western civilisation you call them racist. Care to explain how that is racist?

People from war torn countries flock to the west because their civilisations are crumbling because they know that western civilisation works and they want to be a part of it. But you can't be a part of it if you're not willing to assimilate into the very life you dream to have. Western civilisation is not interested in having people set up their own countries amongst their free and fair societies.

Plenty of immigrants have taken the risk to leave their dysfunctional countries for a better life in the west and have had the good sense to embrace what makes their new home so fruitful to be a part of. The ones who enter the west only to set up camp for Shits-ville 2.0 we do not need. If only the left had the courage to be proud of what makes their countries great then we wouldn't be in the shit we're in today.

What do you think a desperate immigrant thinks when they want to make a new life in the west but they keep hearing from the very citizens from said countries that they hate their own country and they want to tear it all down? I would say that would be pretty confusing to any prospective immigrant or refugee. "Um, they've got it all and they're still complaining?"

Nerak it's not racist to stand up for your culture or your way of life. You bend over backwards to defend any minorities' culture regardless of how toxic it is but as soon as someone dares to stand up for western civilisation you call them racist. Care to explain how that is racist?

People from war torn countries flock to the west because their civilisations are crumbling because they know that western civilisation works and they want to be a part of it. But you can't be a part of it if you're not willing to assimilate into the very life you dream to have. Western civilisation is not interested in having people set up their own countries amongst their free and fair societies.

Plenty of immigrants have taken the risk to leave their dysfunctional countries for a better life in the west and have had the good sense to embrace what makes their new home so fruitful to be a part of. The ones who enter the west only to set up camp for Shits-ville 2.0 we do not need. If only the left had the courage to be proud of what makes their countries great then we wouldn't be in the shit we're in today.

What do you think a desperate immigrant thinks when they want to make a new life in the west but they keep hearing from the very citizens from said countries that they hate their own country and they want to tear it all down? I would say that would be pretty confusing to any prospective immigrant or refugee. "Um, they've got it all and they're still complaining?"
Well said, marred. (y)

it's not racist to stand up for your culture or your way of life.
But your culture and way of life are not under threat so there's no need to 'stand' up for it. All that is required is that you continue to pursue both things and then they will look after themselves.

I'm glad I never bothered clicking on the link if that's another hack who can't be bothered researching the offensive comments & unacceptable views.

Idiot.
Exactly, Nerak. I like how the hack said you'd have to be 'out of your mind' to agree with anything Moz says. Anyone who disagrees with the establishment is insane, in other words.
By the way, is your name Nerak backwards - Karen ?

But your culture and way of life are not under threat so there's no need to 'stand' up for it. All that is required is that you continue to pursue both things and then they will look after themselves.
Really? Have you been keeping up to date with current events? Bullshit reigns supreme. facts have been relegated to the trash pile. It's going to take more than just me pursuing my way of life to keep it going. It's also not just about me. There are others to worry about.

Last edited:
The best British bands are
1. The Smiths
2. Joy Division
3. The Cure
4. The Clash
5. Oasis

but at the same time, nothing but respect for the Beatles, the Pistols, the Jam, Kinks etc. Music wouldn’t be the same without them.

Marred you're the one struggling to assimilate with Western Civilization's concepts of liberty, equality & fraternity & the diversity of thought & culture we've had for thousands of years.

Reducing everything we are to white skin is racist.

Exactly, Nerak. I like how the hack said you'd have to be 'out of your mind' to agree with anything Moz says. Anyone who disagrees with the establishment is insane, in other words.
By the way, is your name Nerak backwards - Karen ?

Yes it is.

I'm not used to Karen being available as a username - so I tried Nerak first & was AMAZED it wasn't rejected or didn't end up being Nerak9483228 or something. Bit embarrassing. 🙃

Really? Have you been keeping up to date with current events? Bullshit reigns supreme. facts have been relegated to the trash pile. It's going to take more than just me pursuing my way of life to keep it going. It's also not just about me. There are others to worry about.
What 'current events' would those be?

It runs much deeper than “fun”. It’s just got nothing to do with commercial success, awards or polls. Many superb creative people live broke. Many die broke. No awards. No accolades. Many touch and even save countless lives, without regard for remuneration of any kind.

Those people are called “ARTISTS”.

They don’t do it “for fun”.

They do it because they MUST do it. ;)
The debate: It’s just for fun. It’s subjective. It can’t undo history; nor can it seal it.

Morrissey was once asked his nomination for the most overrated band of all time. His answer was “The Smiths”. He recognised all creative projects stand on the shoulders of others. That’s because he’s an artist. Not an ARSEHOLE.

Stop exploiting Morrissey for your disgusting racism.

In his hour of need he didn't turn to the white race or Blighty - he turned to the global Catholic church & many Gods.
He certainly turned to the Catholic Church, so he’d have good reason not to appeal to Blighty: the two are mutually incompatible (Historically).

He certainly turned to the Catholic Church, so he’d have good reason not to appeal to Blighty: the two are mutually incompatible (Historically).

Not always - they kicked us out, tried to suppress us & here we are. I only really feel it these days when I'm somewhere rural & there isn't a Catholic Church for miles because they didn't have Irish navvies building their railways & they're not by the sea. 🙃

1. The Smiths
2. Joy Division
3. The Cure
4. The Clash
5. Oasis

but at the same time, nothing but respect for the Beatles, the Pistols, the Jam, Kinks etc. Music wouldn’t be the same without them.
The Clash: my personal nomination for most overrated band of all time. That said, they were a key influence for the Happy Mondays, who might deserve some consideration for best British band.

Not always - they kicked us out, tried to suppress us & here we are. I only really feel it these days when I'm somewhere rural & there isn't a Catholic Church for miles because they didn't have Irish navvies building their railways & they're not by the sea. 🙃
I think if you’re Irish, you feel it all the time.

1. The Smiths
2. Joy Division
3. The Cure
4. The Clash
5. Oasis

A good list, I'd take out the Cure, they do nowt for me, put in an honourable mention for the Stone Roses, The Stones and Arctic Monkeys, Buzzcocks, and were done. That's the most I've ever agreed with anyone ever. 👍

That’s a good call.
it's a f***ing terrible call. Sun City playing, goofy, pretentious, long haired wankers. What c***s see in Queen is beyond me. Even more beyond me that the same people listen to The Smiths & Moz???

stop. ✋. Stop now.

The reason why you don’t vote labour is because your ex girlfriend bombed you off then became a labour councillor.... then you’ve slandered her on here... I really don’t enjoy being horrid to you , but you never have a nice word to say about anyone.... ps can you change that picture of you(again) it’s even worse than the last one....

Go away child.

The definitive top 10

1. The Bee Gees
2. The Beatles
3. Pink Floyd
4. The Smiths
5. The Sex Pistols
6. The Who
7. New Order
8. Eurythmics
9. Status Quo
10. Symarip