The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Gash - I've made it quite clear that what he's actually said isn't on the far right & that he doesn't seem to have realised what Anne Marie was involved with.

Your love of Morrissey is deluding you, Karen. Moz is an intelligent man. He knows exactly what he is saying and who he is giving his support to.

Your love of Morrissey is deluding you, Karen. Moz is an intelligent man. He knows exactly what he is saying and who he is giving his support to.

He's not giving her full support - he's singled out animals & rights clashes around women & gay people. He's supported BLM & his last mention of her was a dig at the police.

Your desperation to get an artist on your side (none of them are, it's an inherently pluralistic profession) is blinding you.

Best British band? The Smiths, without a doubt.
Closely followed by The Sex Pistols, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and The Beatles.

Unbelievably, Brix went on to marry Nigel Kennedy.
No way..... you couldn’t get two men who were so different in so many ways.... I’m wondering if Nigel kicks off as well when he’s full Newton and Ridley 🤣🤣violins smashed all ower the shop....

He's not giving her full support - he's singled out animals & rights clashes around women & gay people. He's supported BLM & his last mention of her was a dig at the police.

Your desperation to get an artist on your side (none of them are, it's an inherently pluralistic profession) is blinding you.

I don't think for one second that Moz is on anyone's side. He has simply voiced opinions on mass immigration that the vast majority of working class people in Britain think and say every day - to each other and in the pub - and have nothing to do with racism - but no one is allowed to say on the mainstream media and the mainstream media would have you believe that such views are beyond the pale. Crazy.

I don't think for one second that Moz is on anyone's side. He has simply voiced opinions on mass immigration that the vast majority of working class people in Britain think and say every day - to each other and in the pub - and have nothing to do with racism - but no one is allowed to say on the mainstream media and the mainstream media would have you believe that such views are beyond the pale. Crazy.

He hasn't expressed the opinions you think he has - he's not actually against mass immigration.

He moaned about London changing & used an unfortunate metaphor but he wasn't calling for London to unchange.

10 years later he started to worry about Islamic State - his comments on borders are about conflict, not about sitting in the pub listening to Chas & Dave being horrified because you've seen Muslims.

It was pretty obvious he thought she was a liberal who had been smeared as a fascist because she was talking about sensitive subjects.

20200807_142357.jpg

Come on folks, this thread stared of as a bit of fun...... tell yous what... how about cornershop being best British band, hopefully this will calm things

was this person even born in 83,britain was a shit place to live then,shipyards closing,strikes,very few jobs.

He hasn't expressed the opinions you think he has - he's not actually against mass immigration.

He moaned about London changing & used an unfortunate metaphor but he wasn't calling for London to unchange.

10 years later he started to worry about Islamic State - his comments on borders are about conflict, not about sitting in the pub listening to Chas & Dave being horrified because you've seen Muslims.

It was pretty obvious he thought she was a liberal who had been smeared as a fascist because she was talking about sensitive subjects.

View attachment 58321

It's ok to be against mass immigration.............you could win the next election if you were......but since you aren't.........you won't.

I'm glad I never bothered clicking on the link if that's another hack who can't be bothered researching the offensive comments & unacceptable views.

Idiot.

I read it and it is actually quite okay. For me, it brings back happy memories: the excitement, amazement and anticipation of every release (EP or LP). That was truly unique, and a once in a lifetime thing never to come back again. The Smiths came at the right time for me, whereas The Beatles were 'before my time', so I would definitely vote for The Smiths.

Of course, there are many similar articles floating around, without the superfluous first paragraph, so you can read those instead.

its A generational thing I reckon. Older folks will say The Beatles, Queen etc, less older folks will go with Oasis etc and younger ones Arctic Monkeys etc. Don’t think many would say The Smiths

The funny thing is/was.........all those people disgusted by Moz's opinions on ere....stuff.......they all revelled in his imagery of a 60's/70's England and yet want to destroy it. Hypocritical arsey-holes.
That's a good point. All Morrissey's likes and interests are things they want to destroy and consign to the dustbin - and that includes England itself - which they would like to see turned into an amalgam of Pakistan and Nigeria. The fact they can't see this irony is something I often dwell on.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom