The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey: Pink Floyd are out too. Barrett was with them just shy of four years.

Exceptions could be made, depends
on the other questions/rules I set up.

Things is, wasn’t Gilmore always there
from the start, lurking in the shadows?

He could be considered a original member in that way.

Anyway, Syd never really left the band.

Exceptions could be made, depends
on the other questions/rules I set up.

Things is, wasn’t Gilmore always there
from the start, lurking in the shadows?

He could be considered a original member in that way.

Anyway, Syd never really left the band.
Gilmour (genius) joined '67...in that greatest band of all greatest bands Pinkus Floydus (to use their latin name) - note the 2x 's' letters, so they're IN.

Rule No.7 - must have 2x 's' letters in their name...rigged I tell ya!!

Johnny Riggers was no were in sight when I drew up these rules.

No, I just don’t believe any band that came after The Smiths is really worthy of the title ‘Best British band of all time’.

Sorry.

:cool:

New rule. The person making the rules cannot be from over the pond (in a westerly direction from Britain) because they're not British.

Rule 8, to be deployed at times of confusion or controversy, ‘the winner Is The Smiths’.

For me it’s between the Smiths or the Beatles.

They both had what I consider to be a British sound.

And both have a lasting influence on music culture.

Both took what came before and brought something new to the table, though The Smiths were more successful at this.

I think in my original listing, I had:
Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Smiths

New rule. The person making the rules cannot be from over the pond (in a westerly direction from Britain) because they're not British.

I though of this. But why do you think that? assuming that you are British.

Johnny Riggers was no were in sight when I drew up these rules.

No, I just don’t believe any band that came after The Smiths is really worthy of the title ‘Best British band of all time’.

Sorry.

I would say Belle & Sebastian are unfairly excluded. And St Etienne. And Primal Scream (I think).

Rule 10... unless they like The Smiths.

I think in my original listing, I had:
Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Smiths

Yes.

Was thinking Floyd too, but Beatles
really paved the way for them.

Yes The Beatles paved a way for The Smiths too, but at least The Smiths were very original in their approach and vision.

From recalling The Smiths and their reception when I was a kid, it is pretty incredible how much they’ve gone up in everyone’s estimation. I mean, seriously, no one (except Nick Kent) would’ve predicted it.

I would say Belle & Sebastian are unfairly excluded. And St Etienne. And Primal Scream (I think).

Bell & Sebastian and St Etienne are a little too safe for me, and not very interesting.

Primal Scream were just very lucky. And I don’t see them or the other two you mentioned as being as important as a influence on music culture as The Smiths or The Beatles.

Sorry.

Most guitar bands that’s formed during or after The Smiths were probably
influenced directly or indirectly by The Smiths.
I think that’s unfair on the ‘post-rock’ genre. Mogwai need a mention in this discussion.

I think that’s unfair on the ‘post-rock’ genre. Mogwai need a mention in this discussion.

So you think Mogwai had a big as an impact on music culture as The Beatles and The Smiths ?

So you think Mogwai had a big as an impact on music culture as The Beatles and The Smiths ?
I think they had an interesting musical answer the the challenge presented by those two bands. In about 2000, when I’d virtually given up on new guitar music (because it had all become inferior approximations of the best of before) they offered hope. And they were enormously (If quietly) influential: God Speed You Black Emperor, Pelican, God is an Astronaut and so on.

My Bloody Valentine should be mentioned here too, as proto-post-rock.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom