The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
My American top 10

1. REM
2. B52s
3. Sparks.
4. Little richard
5. Elvis
6. Jerry lee Lewis
7. 50 cent
8. Del a soul
9. Madonna
10. Foreigner
Del a Soul. Foreigner. 50 cent? Aw jaysuz amackeen, sure where would you be going with those jokers. Replace with Pixies, and errr. Actually there are f*** all good American bands, now that I think about it. But what the U.S. lacks in music it makes up for in crime fiction.
P.s. did my four letter expletive just get auto replaced by Moz Solo? For f.u.c.k sake! What next. Removing words like black, orange?

Believe he would say Beatles.

Early on he commented, between the two he chose Paul. But in more recent years he’s been spotted wearing a Lennon badge.

Yeah, have no idea who he would consider the best British band of all time. I’m sure he would say The Smiths.

Maybe The Who or Buzzcocks ?

I think he would choose the Stones, but it's intuition.

As for the second question, strangely The Who also came to my mind.

A third question would be: Jobriath or the Dolls?

Some day there will be a Q&A and I will ask these questions!

I think he would choose the Stones, but it's intuition.

As for the second question, strangely The Who also came to my mind.

A third question would be: Jobriath or the Dolls?

Some day there will be a Q&A and I will ask these questions!
I would say, Jobriath now.

Right now Moz would choose Roxy Music. That could change at any minute.

Technically Irish but London-based.

Edit: OK, so I looked it up and they are half Irish and half English. Started in Dublin but based in London during their imperial phase.
Thanks. Interesting—key members did indeed cohere in Dublin. Equally interesting is that they aren’t a post-Smiths band as their first release was apparently a 1985 EP.

While I refuse to stop listening to music that makes me happy because of the artist's views some 30 odd years later, it's sort of sad how even considering him bigoted is such a no-no around here.

Do what I do. Accept it. I never got into the Smiths or Morrissey to share with other people anyway. Don't compromise logic for this man, he's flawed, unpleasant, a bit racist, whatever. As is everyone.

But don't go into outright denial. Accept it and move on. The art and the artist are not always the same thing, and it is a sign of compassion you can accept somebody as racist without doing the whole "unperson" thing.

Right now Moz would choose Roxy Music. That could change at any minute.

Did you read his Autobiography? He still had a grudge against Bryan Ferry for taking Johnny away to record "The Right Stuff".

While I refuse to stop listening to music that makes me happy because of the artist's views some 30 odd years later, it's sort of sad how even considering him bigoted is such a no-no around here.

Do what I do. Accept it. I never got into the Smiths or Morrissey to share with other people anyway. Don't compromise logic for this man, he's flawed, unpleasant, a bit racist, whatever. As is everyone.

But don't go into outright denial. Accept it and move on. The art and the artist are not always the same thing, and it is a sign of compassion you can accept somebody as racist without doing the whole "unperson" thing.

I haven't compromised my logic - I've looked at everything he's said & why he seems to have said it.

I don't think he is bigoted or a bit racist - & I'm not going to go along with cut n paste journalism.

And as for the 'no-no' nonsense - where do you get that from? I've been assailed on this forum since October. 🙄🙃

I haven't compromised my logic - I've looked at everything he's said & why he seems to have said it.

I don't think he is bigoted or a bit racist - & I'm not going to go along with cut n paste journalism.

And as for the 'no-no' nonsense - where do you get that from? I've been assailed on this forum since October. 🙄🙃
Did the assailant happen to wear very nice jewellery?

Kate Bush is brilliant. While drunk after a Cure concert I ordered two Kate Bush vinyl boxsets, one of which has Ariel. Bloody phones make it too easy to buy stuff. Still was way cheaper than Tower Records.
I'd rate Siouxsie as brilliant as Kate Bush.
Sorry, but that's quite a ridiculous statement.

Kate Bush is brilliant. While drunk after a Cure concert I ordered two Kate Bush vinyl boxsets, one of which has Ariel. Bloody phones make it too easy to buy stuff. Still was way cheaper than Tower Records.
I'd rate Siouxsie as brilliant as Kate Bush.
You would have to get drunk to see a cure gig, they were dreadful at Glastonbury last year... Sioux is also in a class of her own , without doubt....
she didn’t come out in a good light in autobiography, did she ... quite funny when moz gave her the wrong directions for a taxi though, naughty boy ....

Del a Soul. Foreigner. 50 cent? Aw jaysuz amackeen, sure where would you be going with those jokers. Replace with Pixies, and errr. Actually there are f*** all good American bands, now that I think about it. But what the U.S. lacks in music it makes up for in crime fiction.
P.s. did my four letter expletive just get auto replaced by Moz Solo? For f.u.c.k sake! What next. Removing words like black, orange?
The trouble with these kinks of lists is that once you done them , days later some on pops into your head that should be on the list.... like Johnny cash, how could I have forgotten him... your right, foreigner out, Johnny cash in... 😜😜😜

You would have to get drunk to see a cure gig, they were dreadful at Glastonbury last year... Sioux is also in a class of her own , without doubt....
she didn’t come out in a good light in autobiography, did she ... quite funny when moz gave her the wrong directions for a taxi though, naughty boy ....
The Cure in '89 were amazing. Their Dublin concert in 2019 was good but felt diluted. Their problem is they became so popular that all types of skanks go to their concerts to be at an 'event'. I'm not a fan of open air concerts and The Cure would work better in smaller indoors venues. But I saw the Glasto concert on TV and thought it was ace. I know I'm off topic.

Ok, well that explains Acton’s comment then.
I don't live in Blighty and haven't been to a pub since Jan or Feb. I haven't had a beer in a week. I rate Siouxsie & The Banshees very highly. I'd listen to her before I'd listen to Kate Bush, as great as Kate Bush is. That's all I meant but you can't say anything on this site without bickering and snide comments.

I don't live in Blighty and haven't been to a pub since Jan or Feb. I haven't had a beer in a week. I rate Siouxsie & The Banshees very highly. I'd listen to her before I'd listen to Kate Bush, as great as Kate Bush is. That's all I meant but you can't say anything on this site without bickering and snide comments.
FFS, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Someone needs to lighten up :eyes: , or are you having drink withdrawal symptoms?? :squiffy: 🍺

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom