The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
Does anyone know, do Moz & Boz work the same way Moz did with Marr in the Smiths days? I mean, does Boz set out the music/chords/riffs etc. like Marr did, then Moz adds his words, melody & structure.
I guess it makes sense bcos that's maybe the way Moz likes to work things, but just wondering if anyone actually knew.
Always interesting this type of thing, I think.
As far as I understand it, demo instrumental tracks are recorded by the songwriters who then send them to Morrissey. (This was always done on cassettes but presumably it's now done with mp3s or similar.) Morrissey then writes lyrics and melodies to the ones he likes. So it's pretty much identical to how Marr and Morrissey used to work.

Impressive, OMD takes me back.
Saw them in Deutschland early doors.

It was a great day, OMD were first on a 2pm and played a fantastic set of their hits but the evening was something else. The Smiths were on at about 7pm and then New Order followed, It was probably the best few hours of music I have ever experienced.

Does anyone know, do Moz & Boz work the same way Moz did with Marr in the Smiths days? I mean, does Boz set out the music/chords/riffs etc. like Marr did, then Moz adds his words, melody & structure.
I guess it makes sense bcos that's maybe the way Moz likes to work things, but just wondering if anyone actually knew.
Yes - based on various interviews, plus leaked demos - Morrissey has always worked this way with all of his co-writers. They supply the music first, then he adds the lyrics/vocal melody on top. Sometimes he will request a few changes - eg add an extra couple of bars of this section etc. so it all fits together correctly.

Since there were some gay Nazis, I suppose it's entirely possible to have a homophobic Morrissey fanatic like GodEmperorMorrisey.
I'm not even sure comments like that count as homophobic, which implies a certain awareness of modern-day values to rail against. I was thinking 'backward' covers it better.

Last edited:
Bryan Ferry has class and “cool”

I can verify this, went to a gig of his (Roxy Music)..the epitome of cool.
I don't think Moz ever wanted to be, or even to be considered 'cool' though...he has something quite different, a presence that is magical, special, & unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great day, OMD were first on a 2pm and played a fantastic set of their hits but the evening was something else. The Smiths were on at about 7pm and then New Order followed, It was probably the best few hours of music I have ever experienced.

Sounds like happy days & fantastic gig to go to.
I do remember OMDs 1st album when it first came out, with the unimaginative title 'Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark', came out in 1980 I think or thereabouts, which was superb & quite leading edge, despite the weird track called 'dancing'...hated it at first, but in time actually became a 'grower'. Great album still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure comments like that count as homophobic, which implies a certain awareness of modern-day values to rail against. I was thinking 'backward' covers it better.
I like "moronic," as it avoids any unnecessary distinctions about awareness of values and focuses on the real issue with that poster.

Yes - based on various interviews, plus leaked demos - Morrissey has always worked this way with all of his co-writers. They supply the music first, then he adds the lyrics/vocal melody on top. Sometimes he will request a few changes - eg add an extra couple of bars of this section etc. so it all fits together correctly.

I'm not a musician, so find all this to be clever stuff, whichever way they actually do it, music then words, or vice versa, pull it all together & get the right 'mood', as it were.

As far as I understand it, demo instrumental tracks are recorded by the songwriters who then send them to Morrissey. (This was always done on cassettes but presumably it's now done with mp3s or similar.) Morrissey then writes lyrics and melodies to the ones he likes. So it's pretty much identical to how Marr and Morrissey used to work.

With the one exception of ‘Suffer little children ‘ where Morrissey gave the lyrics to Marr first, and inspired, Marr came up with the guitar part.

While I’m here, Marr’s twit was obviously an unnecessary low dig at Morrissey, but no ones considered the reason also for Marr not wanting a reunion may be because of Joyce. Let’s remember he sued both Marr and Morrissey, and Marr may have taken
a harder hit (I assume) since he doesn’t make as much money as Morrissey.

Live Nation and Morrissey are walking on very thin (legal) ice when they put out pseudo press releases like this.

With the one exception of ‘Suffer little children ‘ where Morrissey gave the lyrics to Marr first, and inspired, Marr came up with the guitar part.
Yes indeed. And I recall that 'Half A Person' was written by Marr and Morrissey in the Earls Court flat, with Marr playing the chords and Morrissey writing out the lyrics there and then.

Moz writes the song, lyrics and melody, which is the song. thats what gets copyrighted. Moz always gave the twit :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: credit so he wouldnt get like whiny bitchez going and crying every 5 min to the nme or the guardian. then DramaJ would find one of his sucky :guitar: pieces and melded AROUND the MOZ SONG.
the Moz material being of such musical strength that it could withstand the sucky DramaJ guitar.
This way Dramaj would drive Moz and the other lawnmowers to do the gig. The ingrate would play with his dumb necklaces all day and then refuse to drive the van. Only sucko for him since, he couldnt write a lyric or melody if they put him upside down on a trapeze.:confettiball:

Same this with Boz etc they meld their guitar pieces around the Moz song. But Boz has talent thats why he continues to work with Moz.:grinning:

Yes indeed. And I recall that 'Half A Person' was written by Marr and Morrissey in the Earls Court flat, with Marr playing the chords and Morrissey writing out the lyrics there and then.

Really? Was that in Marr’s book?

You could be right.

Believe ‘Cemetry gates’ was written by both of them in Marr’s kitchen.

While I’m here, Marr’s twit was obviously an unnecessary low dig at Morrissey, but no ones considered the reason also for Marr not wanting a reunion may be because of Joyce. Let’s remember he sued both Marr and Morrissey, and Marr may have taken
a harder hit (I assume) since he doesn’t make as much money as Morrissey.

Neither of them are struggling for money. Marr has well over £1m in his companies as cash in hand, let alone whatever he's paid himself over the years. All this stuff is publically available if you know where to look, it took me 5 minutes.

Neither of them are struggling for money. Marr has well over £1m in his companies as cash in hand, let alone whatever he's paid himself over the years. All this stuff is publically available if you know where to look, it took me 5 minutes.

I never stated they were ‘struggling for money ‘.

Really? Was that in Marr’s book?
No, 'Songs That Saved Your Life.' Although checking the reference just now, it was not Earls Court but Mayfair Studios. "We officially wrote it on the stairs at Mayfair," is the quote from Johnny.

As for 'Cemetry Gates' the same book says:
"I might have thrown it (the chord sequence) in the bin," Marr confesses, "had Morrissey not, by chance, heard me play it as I was tuning up in my kitchen. He was the one who suggested we turn it into a song. And he was right."

I dream of a Smiths reunion event in which all members bar Morrissey are performing. The audience are content that this is the best it could be, but Marr announces a surprise singer will take to the stage for the next number, and in comes Morrissey to an ecstatic audience. The band strikes up the number, and it's Oscillate Wildly. Morrissey does some tambourining, and when the number ends, he nonchalantly walks off.

There's been so much coverage of Marr's jibe that if it was happening, it won't be happening now.

I prefer Morrissey's solo stuff anyway. I get bored of the jangle.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom