The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
I'm a bit too young to really care about them getting back together - but it would be worth it if they wrote some new material together.
Yeah right okay. As Morrissey and Marr or including the lawnmower parts as well? They pumped out so much material I can't even imagine what a new song would sound like. I only know them post split so a reunion means sweet FA to me.

I don't care what Morrissey does but since he's christian I'm assuming he's probably not having sodomy. And I don't care about guys having feelings for other guys , I'm calling out f*****ry. You know the difference. While we're on the topic, homophobia is not a thing. It's a made up term
So you don't have an irrational fear of gay people then? Is it a rational fear? Do you fear the poke?

who would want to work with people you worked with 30 years ago,they were boring then and they are even worse now,met a guy last week who tried to order titanic 2 off amazon.

I don't care what Morrissey does but since he's christian I'm assuming he's probably not having sodomy. And I don't care about guys having feelings for other guys , I'm calling out f*****ry. You know the difference. While we're on the topic, homophobia is not a thing. It's a made up term

I don't get which one is the difference between Morrissey and f*****ry... But, please, explain it.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26378-1378947568-0.gif

I don't really mean the kind of thing that is announced in advance, where everybody gets paid millions and there's a massive scrum to get tickets. I mean an ordinary show in an ordinary place, and Johnny says "I'd like to bring on an old friend..." and just as you're rolling your eyes and trying to look enthused by the prospect of Barney / Billy Duffy /Bez from the Happy Mondays or some other well-meaning also-ran, Moz comes out. Does a couple of songs, brings the house down, goes home. It wouldn't be resurrecting the Smiths, but ending the Smiths properly.

I have 2 versions of the scenario:

1. I think I'd prefer a reverse of your version, where:

an ordinary show in an ordinary place, and Moz says "I'd like to bring on an old friend..." and just as you're rolling your eyes and trying to look enthused by the prospect of some other well-meaning also-ran, Johnny comes out. Does a couple of songs, HSIN, There is a Light, brings the house down, goes home. It wouldn't be resurrecting the Smiths, but ending the Smiths properly.

2. My personal preference
  • Moz playing his normal, excellent gig - fake power cut half way thru - lights go down, band walks off stage, curtain closes.
  • Audience advised to 'stay put', it's only temporary.
  • A few minutes pass
  • Long low pulsing intro to HSIN is heard being played
  • Crowd applaud - means power back on
  • Curtain opens - lights back on - straight into full HSIN with the guitar wail
  • & there right before everyone is Moz, Marr, Rourke, Joyce
  • Crowd go mental

Wow. What century are you from? And have you ever even read Morrissey's lyrics?

Boz may not have as many great songs as Alain does with morrissey but the ones he did write are some of the bigger more notable ones. Now my heart is full, the more you ignore me, speedway, lifeguard sleeping, honey you know where to find me, Christian Dior, satan rejected soul, Istanbul, Paris, staircase, mountjoy, I wish you lonely. I put in some of my favs of course and left out I’m sure others preferred songs but that’s a good list of credits in morrissey world. Even on the albums that were divisive his songs tended to be the ones dissenters would pick as highlights. He may not be the most inventive flashy complicated player but he’s a good songwriter and adds a lot of texture with his various instruments

Does anyone know, do Moz & Boz work the same way Moz did with Marr in the Smiths days? I mean, does Boz set out the music/chords/riffs etc. like Marr did, then Moz adds his words, melody & structure.
I guess it makes sense bcos that's maybe the way Moz likes to work things, but just wondering if anyone actually knew.
Always interesting this type of thing, I think.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom