Thelma Houston: “The Enduring Diva Of Divas” - Instinct Magazine (Morrissey mentions)

Shared via:

Originally by Jeremy Hinks - February 15, 2020 for Instinct Magazine:

"JH: I was born into the world 10 years late for a lot of the music that I like, but this next person I want to mention is one for my age group and who I listened to a lot since I was a teenager… How did you ever end up working with Morrissey? Everyone is astounded at this. No one works with Morrissey, and the song is so good, and it’s so different, does not sound like it’s yours, and certainly doesn’t sound like Morrissey, it’s such an amazing clash of sounds and styles, and I think it should be the opening theme of a James Bond film.

TH: Okay, an unlikely story, yes, no one works with Morrissey, some years ago I was writing with a young man, a bass player. We were doing a fundraiser, and we just clicked, and we formed a little band. He had a DJ setup, and he would play bass and sample, and our group is called “42” ’cause that’s the difference in our ages. So we did this cover of Morrissey ‘Suedehead’ and I had never heard of the guy. The reception was great, and we did a Foo Fighters’ song too. We did a little 45 of ‘Suedehead’, and then a few years later, I got an email from Morrissey, and he asked me if I would like to record with him. So I worked with him in the studio. So when he played at the Hollywood Bowl recently, he had me perform at his after party. And I just found out that the song is going to be THE SINGLE he released for this album. In the studio he was just a gentleman. And when I asked him “Well, how do you want me to do this?” He said “Well, I don’t really know, I don’t usually work with people on vocals, so, I’ll do my part, and you sing however you think it should sound.” He took a back seat and didn’t tell me how to do anything, he just let me sing."

Regards,
FWD

When I compare the sterility of interlude with the sheer joyousness of Bobby, don't you think they know? Morrissey could have not sang anything on Bobby, and Thelma would have carried it herself. Much better than Siouxsies lacklustre whinings on interlude.

I call it middle-age complacency (Interlude) versus the twilight-years energy (Bobby).

When I compare the sterility of interlude with the sheer joyousness of Bobby, don't you think they know? Morrissey could have not sang anything on Bobby, and Thelma would have carried it herself. Much better than Siouxsies lacklustre whinings on interlude.
I don't know if sterile is a fair judgement on Interlude. In my opinion I quite like the coldness between the two of them in Interlude as they sing "...could be the beginning of love..."

I don't know if sterile is a fair judgement on Interlude. In my opinion I quite like the coldness between the two of them in Interlude as they sing "...could be the beginning of love..."

It works as a meta love song - he sounds like he's hoping his ordeal will end & she sounds like she'll be damned if he dominates this song.

It isn't anywhere in full to hear.
I messaged her agent when I first found out about the 500 copies of the 7", but haven't received a reply. It's on my auction watch list...
Regards,
FWD.

Original information:

Ya made a heck of an effort.
I know it's gonna happen noneday, I mean someday.

I like how Thelma took her time and waited before she came in.
She also really blended her voice real choice with Moz's.
Favorite part is the "Of course they know" at the end.

Like Bowie found out the hard way- Morrissey does not share the spotlight.
True. Now that I think about it, it was a ridiculous reason for Moz and Bowie to fall out during the Outside/Southpaw tour. Bowie wanted to walk on just before Moz walked off stage. I wonder if Moz just hated looking out on an audience of Bowie fans (apart from front row fans like me who were there mainly for Moz). Or if Bowie wasn't nice enough to him backstage? Maybe both were to blame.

Shared via:

Originally by Jeremy Hinks - February 15, 2020 for Instinct Magazine:

"JH: I was born into the world 10 years late for a lot of the music that I like, but this next person I want to mention is one for my age group and who I listened to a lot since I was a teenager… How did you ever end up working with Morrissey? Everyone is astounded at this. No one works with Morrissey, and the song is so good, and it’s so different, does not sound like it’s yours, and certainly doesn’t sound like Morrissey, it’s such an amazing clash of sounds and styles, and I think it should be the opening theme of a James Bond film.

TH: Okay, an unlikely story, yes, no one works with Morrissey, some years ago I was writing with a young man, a bass player. We were doing a fundraiser, and we just clicked, and we formed a little band. He had a DJ setup, and he would play bass and sample, and our group is called “42” ’cause that’s the difference in our ages. So we did this cover of Morrissey ‘Suedehead’ and I had never heard of the guy. The reception was great, and we did a Foo Fighters’ song too. We did a little 45 of ‘Suedehead’, and then a few years later, I got an email from Morrissey, and he asked me if I would like to record with him. So I worked with him in the studio. So when he played at the Hollywood Bowl recently, he had me perform at his after party. And I just found out that the song is going to be THE SINGLE he released for this album. In the studio he was just a gentleman. And when I asked him “Well, how do you want me to do this?” He said “Well, I don’t really know, I don’t usually work with people on vocals, so, I’ll do my part, and you sing however you think it should sound.” He took a back seat and didn’t tell me how to do anything, he just let me sing."

Regards,
FWD

Great we have no HATERS response to a black lady invited to a Moz after party surely wrong as she is BLACK and Moz a NAZI and RACIST. The muppets are quiet please keep it that way silence from the freaks makes life great. Maybe JESUS HAS SENT THEM TO HELL , PLEASE

True. Now that I think about it, it was a ridiculous reason for Moz and Bowie to fall out during the Outside/Southpaw tour. Bowie wanted to walk on just before Moz walked off stage. I wonder if Moz just hated looking out on an audience of Bowie fans (apart from front row fans like me who were there mainly for Moz). Or if Bowie wasn't nice enough to him backstage? Maybe both were to blame.

FWD posted a snippet from an interview where Morrissey talked about being under pressure - so I think the whole tour was just too big & relentless for him.

FWD posted a snippet from an interview where Morrissey talked about being under pressure - so I think the whole tour was just too big & relentless for him.

Regardless of what tour it was, it seems he was not in the best headspace, so it was just bad timing.

I can’t imagine Bowie asking him to duet so he couldn’t make his usual grand Moz exit was really the issue.

Regardless of what tour it was, it seems he was not in the best headspace, so it was just bad timing.

I can’t imagine Bowie asking him to duet so he couldn’t make his usual grand Moz exit was really the issue.

Bowie wasn't too fussed about it so I suspect Moz was clearly unwell & it was all a bit of a cover-story.

Which is the exact opposite of theatre where there's always an 'illness in the cast' even if the truth is they're drunk, hate each & can't remember their lines.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom