"These are days of savagely superficial moral outrage" - brief Morrissey interview - El Comercio

A publication he's spoken to before.
Via translate - so take with a pinch of salt:

Morrissey: "Son días de indignación moral salvajemente superficial" -
El Comercio Perú

By José Tsang, Nov. 23, 2018.

5bf80d387753f.jpeg

Morrissey:
"These are days of savagely superficial moral outrage"

Before his concert in Peru, the former The Smiths answers a questionnaire to refer to "El cóndor pasa", Venezuela, his intoxication in Lima and other issues.

The healthy exercise of thinking differently seems devalued. In music, an illustrious member of that minority club is called Morrissey . The media usually highlight their statements and the 59-year-old British artist defends himself with his songs. His latest album, "Low in High School" (2017), includes a song like "Spent the Day in Bed", which states: "Stop watching the news / Because the news manages to scare you / To make you feel small and alone / To make you feel that your mind is not yours. "

The contribution to the music of Morrissey is unquestionable: the band The Smiths is one of the best acts of the 80s, and his solo career also generates admiration. On the other hand, his opinions produce resistance, either because of his militant veganism or to criticize current feminism because he believes that he does not aspire to reach a higher intellectual level.

Morrissey - confessed by a scathing writer like Oscar Wilde - will offer a new concert in Peru this Tuesday, November 27. Before the evening, the singer and composer answered in writing a questionnaire from El Comercio. Among the issues addressed, the figure of intoxication in Lima in 2013.

-The Pretenders played in Lima a few months ago. At the concert, his singer Chrissie Hynde said that you are one of his favorite composers. What inspires you? And what does "Back on the Chain Gang" - you just make a cover of this song by The Pretenders - for you?

Chrissie and I have been friends for years. She is an impressive composer who can bring an unusual feeling to her songs, while most writers copy what has been successful. She is determined and does not have that paranoia to do or say what others believe is right.

-The world of music has changed. The physical disk is disappearing. How not to lose faith in these times? Is it a lost battle? Can we be optimists?

People will always find music and will need it, but at the same time I think they are all exhausted by the promotional machinery that drives the same faces with the same content. There is no more that thing called natural success. Every move is made. We constantly look at what number 1 is and we do not believe in it even for a second. We are tired of hearing about artists who sell millions, although we know that such artists do not inspire love for music.

-In this final phase of 2018, what is Oscar Wilde's phrase that comes to mind the most?

What we fear is what happens to us.

-Let's talk about your last album "Low in High School". What musical spirit did you look for in it?

I'm interested in making songs that start conversations, which is easy in these days of savagely superficial moral outrage that everyone seems to want to express. If you offer a song to people, you should raise their lives for at least four minutes; otherwise, it does not make sense. The greatest honor I receive is when they tell me: "Nobody could have written that song, except you".

-A song like "Who Will Protect Us From The Police?" (Who will protect us from the police?) Is dedicated to Venezuela. What is your point of view about your situation?

Last year I often saw television images in which the Venezuelan police attacked people, which was because they were tired - as you know - of economic corruption. I wondered what gives the police the right to attack people, which rather pays the police for their protection. It seems to me that whenever the people have had enough of the dishonest governments, the police begin to attack the citizens, but they do not attack the dishonest government. How is this fair or civilized? Governments do not pay the police. People do it.

-In your last concert in Lima, in 2015, you sang "El cóndor pasa". Why did you choose this song?

I feel that it has a great moral virtue for the people of Peru; It's like a hand on the shoulder. We all want freedom, we do not want to be the snail or the nail [the phrase in English presents a play on words: "We do not want to be the snail or the nail"], and we imagine that the birds that pass have the final freedom . The song is obviously very old, but it still means a lot because every day we see and hear people who cry out for freedom. Why is it so difficult to get it?

- Fortunately, the episode of poisoning in Peru, in 2013, was overcome. You said you were "officially dead for nine minutes". What did you see in those nine minutes?

When you survive a terrible disease, you recover your health but you realize the unbearable meddling of society in your life, your money, your body and your thoughts, just as you see that we have almost no right to relax and be ourselves. People do not seem to realize that just a sneeze separates us from death. We are willing to live as slaves in one way or another, persistently doing what has been said by people we do not respect. We are all slaves in many ways.

-What can we expect from your new concert in Lima?

I say what I believe and I say it well. Music brings us closer to other people who share our beliefs. If they come to the concert without expecting anything, they will be disappointed.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Comercio Perú

View attachment 46505

Morrissey:

Before his concert in Peru, the former The Smiths answers a questionnaire to refer to "El cóndor pasa", Venezuela, his intoxication in Lima and other issues.

The healthy exercise of thinking differently seems devalued. In music, an illustrious member of that minority club is called Morrissey . The media usually highlight their statements and the 59-year-old British artist defends himself with his songs. His latest album, "Low in High School" (2017), includes a song like "Spent the Day in Bed", which states: "Stop watching the news / Because the news manages to scare you / To make you feel small and alone / To make you feel that your mind is not yours. "

The contribution to the music of Morrissey is unquestionable: the band The Smiths is one of the best acts of the 80s, and his solo career also generates admiration. On the other hand, his opinions produce resistance, either because of his militant veganism or to criticize current feminism because he believes that he does not aspire to reach a higher intellectual level.

Morrissey - confessed by a scathing writer like Oscar Wilde - will offer a new concert in Peru this Tuesday, November 27. Before the evening, the singer and composer answered in writing a questionnaire from El Comercio. Among the issues addressed, the figure of intoxication in Lima in 2013.

-The Pretenders played in Lima a few months ago. At the concert, his singer Chrissie Hynde said that you are one of his favorite composers. What inspires you? And what does "Back on the Chain Gang" - you just make a cover of this song by The Pretenders - for you?

Chrissie and I have been friends for years. She is an impressive composer who can bring an unusual feeling to her songs, while most writers copy what has been successful. She is determined and does not have that paranoia to do or say what others believe is right.

-The world of music has changed. The physical disk is disappearing. How not to lose faith in these times? Is it a lost battle? Can we be optimists?

People will always find music and will need it, but at the same time I think they are all exhausted by the promotional machinery that drives the same faces with the same content. There is no more that thing called natural success. Every move is made. We constantly look at what number 1 is and we do not believe in it even for a second. We are tired of hearing about artists who sell millions, although we know that such artists do not inspire love for music.

-In this final phase of 2018, what is Oscar Wilde's phrase that comes to mind the most?

-Let's talk about your last album "Low in High School". What musical spirit did you look for in it?

I'm interested in making songs that start conversations, which is easy in these days of savagely superficial moral outrage that everyone seems to want to express. If you offer a song to people, you should raise their lives for at least four minutes; otherwise, it does not make sense. The greatest honor I receive is when they tell me: "Nobody could have written that song, except you".

-A song like "Who Will Protect Us From The Police?" (Who will protect us from the police?) Is dedicated to Venezuela. What is your point of view about your situation?

Last year I often saw television images in which the Venezuelan police attacked people, which was because they were tired - as you know - of economic corruption. I wondered what gives the police the right to attack people, which rather pays the police for their protection. It seems to me that whenever the people have had enough of the dishonest governments, the police begin to attack the citizens, but they do not attack the dishonest government. How is this fair or civilized? Governments do not pay the police. People do it.

-In your last concert in Lima, in 2015, you sang "El cóndor pasa". Why did you choose this song?

I feel that it has a great moral virtue for the people of Peru; It's like a hand on the shoulder. We all want freedom, we do not want to be the snail or the nail [the phrase in English presents a play on words: "We do not want to be the snail or the nail"], and we imagine that the birds that pass have the final freedom . The song is obviously very old, but it still means a lot because every day we see and hear people who cry out for freedom. Why is it so difficult to get it?

- Fortunately, the episode of poisoning in Peru, in 2013, was overcome. You said you were "officially dead for nine minutes". What did you see in those nine minutes?

When you survive a terrible disease, you recover your health but you realize the unbearable meddling of society in your life, your money, your body and your thoughts, just as you see that we have almost no right to relax and be ourselves. People do not seem to realize that just a sneeze separates us from death. We are willing to live as slaves in one way or another, persistently doing what has been said by people we do not respect. We are all slaves in many ways.

I say what I believe and I say it well. Music brings us closer to other people who share our beliefs. If they come to the concert without expecting anything, they will be disappointed.

Regards,
FWD.

Well, this is thoroughly great.

Remarkable statement: "The healthy exercise of thinking differently seems devalued. In music, an illustrious member of that minority club is called Morrissey".

It's debatable that it even happened at all, since he was on a plane for London within 24 hours, by all accounts. Not sure about you, but if I had life-threatening food poisoning I don't think I'd be leaving my bathroom, let alone the country.

I believe him because I was dead during some hours many years ago. I was alone, felt very bad and went to the bed where I fainted (or died). I saw the strong white light and dead people talked to me. My grandmother made me come back, I knew it was her but I didn't see her neither heard her voice. I felt it was her in the same intuitive way I felt who the other people were. It was not a dream, it was totally different and I didn't have the same experience again. I can't tell this to people in my life because they will think I'm insane, but I had this experience and many people had it as well. Believe it or not.

That's a very interesting story - and obviously a very powerful experience - but it's impossible to verify in medical terms if there weren't any other people present. When we're ill the brain can create all kinds of weirdness, particularly in the case of poisoning. I do think it's possible to be 'hovering' between life and death and have these experiences, though. But in Morrissey's case, I am sceptical; even if he did have CPR for 9 minutes (which seems unlikely), I can't see how he would have got on a plane the next day.

Says the man who has so often peddled superficial moral outrage. I can't think of a more superficial moral outrage than the notion of animal rights.

But, of course, when it came to people and their rights, it's all belaboring the point. Let's not forget that this is coming from a man who blamed a fourteen year old kid for being sexually abused.
First, blaming a kid for being raped isn't "moral outrage". It's morally scant, yes. Moral outrage, as I see it, is people whining about how evil others are, believing that they're on "the good side". It's believing the way I'm thinking is the virtuous way to think and everyone who doesn't think this way is a bad person, which I guess you can say about his fight for animal rights ("If I'm introduced to anyone who eats beings, I walk away. Imagine, for example, if you were in a nightclub and someone said to you 'Hello, I enjoy bloodshed, throat-slitting and the destruction of life,' well, I doubt if you'd want to exchange phone numbers."), but I, for my own personal reasons, deeply object to it being called "superficial". I'm not willing to argue that it's not, so I submit to your first point.

But, he didn't really blame the boy for being sexually abused. He intimated that the boy had some say in it: that is was actually consensual underage sex. He went on to say that underage sex was very widespread in the entertainment industry and "you can't lock everyone up". I don't know if it makes a difference to you or not. Rather, I don't know if condoning underage sex is on equal moral ground as blaming a rape victim for being raped, in your eyes....

Notice I used the word moral. That's because what you've just displayed now is superficial moral outrage!

I believe him because I was dead during some hours many years ago. I was alone, felt very bad and went to the bed where I fainted (or died). I saw the strong white light and dead people talked to me. My grandmother made me come back, I knew it was her but I didn't see her neither heard her voice. I felt it was her in the same intuitive way I felt who the other people were. It was not a dream, it was totally different and I didn't have the same experience again. I can't tell this to people in my life because they will think I'm insane, but I had this experience and many people had it as well. Believe it or not.

I'm fascinated by NDE's and what might "lie beyond" so I really enjoyed reading that. How did you feel at the time? Some people say they felt darkness, like velvet, and sunk deeper and deeper but were very calm. Others heard voices or described seeing their body. Morrissey dodged the question.

I'm not sure about your first two sentences. As Morrissey said, "People will always find music and will need it." He is right about this. I know I did when I was younger.

For me, music is easily marked in time. BS and AS that being before The Smiths and after. I always had a great love of music from when my dad would play Frankie Valli and Four Tops records in my childhood living room on our turntable. I am sure most of us here have some musical memories that we hold fondly in our hearts, and for more than just the music itself.

But like you wrote, "Even the most majestic of key changes fade on repeated listening." This for me was true up until I heard The Smiths for the first time. Their music is far beyond simply soothing. It nourished me in so many ways, and still continues to do so.

You say, "Of all the arts, music is the one I could most easily forgo." Not for me. Songs like Asleep, and I Know It's Over, and I Won't Share You, and so many, many more that I return to so often make it impossible for me to make such a statement.

Live music especially is the best of all the arts because it combines visual, sonic, intellectual (sometimes) and emotional components all in one performance. I have left concerts feeling so entertained and moved in a way that no movie, or play, or art exhibit ever could.
This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for continuing to articulate your feelings on this forum, evennow. Your contributions are refreshing.

An ex of mine was scraped off a motorway near Brighton after a catastrophic RTA. They officially died 3 times in helicopter. Took a year to recover fully and said when you're dead you feel nothing but its the transition when you feel terror like you are drowning. Ive read a lot of accounts of feeling peace and seeing white light probably depends on trauma at time of death.

Last edited:
This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for continuing to articulate your feelings on this forum, evennow. Your contributions are refreshing.

You are very welcome LS. I enjoy reading so many of the posters thoughts here even if I don't completely or at all agree with them. Nothing like an articulate, well-reasoned post to either make you happy or make you think. Both are equally refreshing.

Thanks to evennow and Spineless for reminding me that Solo can still be a place where rational, articulate souls can engage in an interesting (dare I say touching?) conversation about Morrissey and music. It makes a welcome change.

I hope you both find a few moments peace over the weekend.

And my hope is that anons like yourself and so many others that have the capacity to engage in interesting conversations become members of this site. I have anons and a few others on block so I miss a lot of posts by kind people such as yourself. Santa is entitled to at least one Christmas wish after all. :santa:

Maybe it was from dirty water they used to wash rice or Vegtables in the restaurant . Pooh in water anyway enjoy your dinner.

Morrissey overestimates the importance of music. Music is a throwaway affair. A mere distraction. Music is whim and fickledom. It's soothing, to a degree, but that's about all. The older I get, the less music means to me. Of course, I'll have a tune at my funeral, but music all the time? There's more to life than a nice tune. Of all the arts, music is the one I could most easily forgo. Even the most majestic of key changes fade on repeated listening.

SPOT ON !, "spineless" .....especially true at this utterly dreadful time of year. Denials ? If so, try the nauseating Christmas song sung by the non-paul-mcCartney....Have a vomit bag ready, you'll need it. YOU WERE WARNED !

El Comercio Perú

View attachment 46505

Morrissey:

Regards,
FWD.

GIT off the stage and S.T.F.U.

Take yer meds and do S.T.F.U. Love !

El Comercio Perú

View attachment 46505

Morrissey:

Regards,
FWD.

"Superficial Moral Outrage"???? W.T.F. cupcakes....You've made a handy living at moaning and growing about what you do best...Moan and Grown about nothing important at all...Your still above ground...for some reason....so far....SO...S.T.F.U.

Morrissey overestimates the importance of music. Music is a throwaway affair. A mere distraction. Music is whim and fickledom. It's soothing, to a degree, but that's about all. The older I get, the less music means to me. Of course, I'll have a tune at my funeral, but music all the time? There's more to life than a nice tune. Of all the arts, music is the one I could most easily forgo. Even the most majestic of key changes fade on repeated listening.

That may be truer today, but the popular music of the 1950s until perhaps the early to mid-90s has certainly been hugely influential on western society, particularly.

Those kids at Woodstock or on the streets of Paris in ‘68 became our Prime Ministers, Presidents, Ministers, professors, lecturers, teachers, architects, research scientists, surgeons and doctors.

Clinton, Obama, and Blair and Cameron over here, all admitted to using illegal drugs. That was the era they grew up in and it was shaped in no small part by the culture, including the music. Nobody has yet said “Do me a line, I’m going to put some Paganini on.” Except perhaps Sherlock Holmes and (spoilers), he’s not real.

Fifty years ago a public admission of drug taking would bar you from almost any office, let alone the highest in the land. You take experiences such as those, be they good, bad or indifferent through your life. It’s a good bet that politicians and activists pushing for the legalisationn of marijuana are likely to be in the “I tried it and it didn’t do me any harm.” camp.

It may not have overturned governments directly, but music has changed social mores and in turn that filters through and changes policy on sex, abortion, women's rights, drugs, war and a huge range of other issues.

I think music can and does change people’s lives. The Smiths released their first single thirty-five years ago. There must be something that keeps so many of us coming back here. It wasn’t the sleeve.

I'm fascinated by NDE's and what might "lie beyond" so I really enjoyed reading that. How did you feel at the time? Some people say they felt darkness, like velvet, and sunk deeper and deeper but were very calm. Others heard voices or described seeing their body.

I'm more interested in NLE's (Near Life Experiences) they're very rare, and have only happened to a lucky few.

Why is that claim so shocking? Personally, I think he was also dead for most of 1990.

Just before Donald Trump’s election victory a very bright journalist - there are still such things - said of Trump “His opponents take him literally but not seriously and his supporters take him seriously but not literally.”

I think you could say the same of Morrissey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom