Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

For any musician who hopes to make a proper living out of it, that's exactly what it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be a career but a weekend hobby between the other stuff that pays the bills.

James Maker is a good writer and has a way with words - he's not talentless. But it doesn't take much time listening to him (or reading his writing) before you realise that he is, basically, just an unsuccessful version of Morrissey. A version who never left Stretford, never met Johnny and still spends his time writing scathing letters to the music press.

:rolleyes:

you are describing:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: to a T. reduced to making cometry music and on the has been circuit, learning nothing from his time with Moz. Poor twat.
then he plays Moz songs and gives Moz interviews and lectures in order to pay the rent and feed :holdinghands: and the missus:headmassage:
every morning DramaJ should wake up and thank God he met Moz.:handok:

For any musician who hopes to make a proper living out of it, that's exactly what it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be a career but a weekend hobby between the other stuff that pays the bills.

James Maker is a good writer and has a way with words - he's not talentless. But it doesn't take much time listening to him (or reading his writing) before you realise that he is, basically, just an unsuccessful version of Morrissey. A version who never left Stretford, never met Johnny and still spends his time writing scathing letters to the music press.

I’m not taking about musicians who want to make a career out of it.

I’m talking about people who create ART because they have no other choice.

I don’t know Makers story, but it seems
that he sings from his heart through the years as a passion not as a hobby. Of course it would be nice if it payed the bills but that’s usually not the case for many artists for a myriad of reasons.
He may say that he’s ‘retiring’ but if you ever pass his flat, I’m sure you can hear him singing his favorite Dolls song while in the shower.

‘... version of Morrissey’ ?

Maybe Morrissey is just a successful version of James Maker ? Maybe Morrissey copied James Maker’s style of singing when they would hang out together as teenagers listening to Martha and the Vandellas? I mean, they both had a lot of the same influences and not just in music.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom