Trip from SC to CA. Need some help

roky

I am planing a trip from South Carolina to California within the next 6 months or so. My plan is to rent a car, drive to California, with stops on the way, and take an Amtrak train back.
I was wondering if you guys can tell me some nice stops on the way. I am in no hurry to get there. I will drive during the day and stay in a hotel come sundown. So far I plan on going to Graceland, Fairmont Indiana, (James Dean grave and JD sites) If you guys have any suggestions of cool places along the way please let me know. I was thinking The R and R hall of fame, but a little to far out of the way. Tell me some places...

I am planing a trip from South Carolina to California within the next 6 months or so. My plan is to rent a car, drive to California, with stops on the way, and take an Amtrak train back.
I was wondering if you guys can tell me some nice stops on the way. I am in no hurry to get there. I will drive during the day and stay in a hotel come sundown. So far I plan on going to Graceland, Fairmont Indiana, (James Dean grave and JD sites) If you guys have any suggestions of cool places along the way please let me know. I was thinking The R and R hall of fame, but a little to far out of the way. Tell me some places...

Roky, I made that trip from NC back in 1996. It took me four days, but I drove all day and stopped only at night. I wanted to stop and visit Graceland (which won't be out of your way if you are planning on driving I-40), but I had my dog with me at the time and it just wasn't a practical thing to do. As for Fairmount, IN, it is quite a bit out of the way. I drove there in 1998 from NC, and it took me nearly 15 hours. Of course, it was WELL worth it, and you'll be glad you did it. I can only tell you to hit Vegas and of course, since you're a JD fan, you'll want to hit all the places in CA: his house in Sherman Oaks and of course the site of the accident in Cholame, being the two main spots to visit. Whatever you do, have fun and stay safe!

If you're going to Fairmount, which is in northeastern Indiana, you might as well go to Cleveland first. It really isn't that far from Fairmount, which is off of 69, a little to the west of the highway. You could come across from Cleveland and jog up to Detroit, then back down 75 to rejoin 80/90, then across to 69 and south to Fairmount. Follow 69 into Indianapolis (shudder), pick up 70, catch 57, then to 55 and you're in Memphis. You could fly up to Cleveland and start there.

Indiana actually has some notable musical history. I'm told that Richmond, Indiana, is the home of recorded jazz. Cole Porter and Hoagy Carmichael were from Indiana. So are John Mellencamp and Axl Rose. On second thought...

If you're going to Fairmount, which is in northeastern Indiana, you might as well go to Cleveland first. It really isn't that far from Fairmount, which is off of 69, a little to the west of the highway. You could come across from Cleveland and jog up to Detroit, then back down 75 to rejoin 80/90, then across to 69 and south to Fairmount. Follow 69 into Indianapolis (shudder), pick up 70, catch 57, then to 55 and you're in Memphis. You could fly up to Cleveland and start there.

Indiana actually has some notable musical history. I'm told that Richmond, Indiana, is the home of recorded jazz. Cole Porter and Hoagy Carmichael were from Indiana. So are John Mellencamp and Axl Rose. On second thought...
Hmmmm, that sounds like a good idea, I can make my first stop in Cleavland, then to Fairmont, then Memphis.
Roky, I made that trip from NC back in 1996. It took me four days, but I drove all day and stopped only at night. I wanted to stop and visit Graceland (which won't be out of your way if you are planning on driving I-40), but I had my dog with me at the time and it just wasn't a practical thing to do. As for Fairmount, IN, it is quite a bit out of the way. I drove there in 1998 from NC, and it took me nearly 15 hours. Of course, it was WELL worth it, and you'll be glad you did it. I can only tell you to hit Vegas and of course, since you're a JD fan, you'll want to hit all the places in CA: his house in Sherman Oaks and of course the site of the accident in Cholame, being the two main spots to visit. Whatever you do, have fun and stay safe!
Yeah, I will go to the Sherman house and the crash site. Thanks for the info. Any other spots along the way? Thanks again guys

Visit Sun Studios in Memphis, TN. Pay tribute to the fallen at Chickimauga and Chattanooga battlefield parks (SE TN/NW GA). Search for mountain music in the Ozarks & Appalachians. See the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco, TX. Catch some local bands in Austin, TX. Visit Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe, and Taos Pueblo in New Mexico. Stop by the Grand Canyon. Do Vegas, if that's your thing. Protest Sheriff Joe Arpaio's fascist tactics around the Arizona/Mexico border. Look for endangered desert tortoises in the Mojave.

roky, are you from the US?

Visit Sun Studios in Memphis, TN. Pay tribute to the fallen at Chickimauga and Chattanooga battlefield parks (SE TN/NW GA). Search for mountain music in the Ozarks & Appalachians. See the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco, TX. Catch some local bands in Austin, TX. Visit Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe, and Taos Pueblo in New Mexico. Stop by the Grand Canyon. Do Vegas, if that's your thing. Protest Sheriff Joe Arpaio's fascist tactics around the Arizona/Mexico border. Look for endangered desert tortoises in the Mojave.

roky, are you from the US?
Yeah, I am in the US.
Thanks NIRTH, I will defiantly do some of those things. Dr Pepper Museum in Waco, TX, local bands in Austin, TX are a go.

Yeah, I will go to the Sherman house and the crash site. Thanks for the info. Any other spots along the way? Thanks again guys

Well, if you're going to Fairmount, you might as well stop in Chicago, IL. I think it's a 3.5 hour drive. I've never been to Chicago, but I've always wanted to go. I hear it's a fabulous place, and Morrissey's favorite American City!

I'm not sure how huge of a James Dean fan you are, but the place where he died is not that spectacular. And it's a LONG drive from Los Angeles, about 4 hours. The actual intersection is not marked (though I know where it is and will be up there in the end of July if you want me to show you) and the memorial to him a few miles away leaves a bit to be desired I think, it's just kinda cheesy. But if you are a hardcore fan it is a little mystical, but seriously, you could skip that leg of the trip.

Griffith Observatory in LA. Location of the knife fight scene in Rebel Without a Cause among numerous other scenes. It's got a James Dean Memorial. Surely you're targeting this place?

Griffith Observatory in LA. Location of the knife fight scene in Rebel Without a Cause among numerous other scenes. It's got a James Dean Memorial. Surely you're targeting this place?

Oh yes, I am planing to go to the LA Observatory. Plus, if anyone knows record stores I should defiantly hit, not to far off my route, please let me know..:cool:

Well if you do decide to goto Cleveland, let me know I can give you info. The Rock hall is cool, very expensive but worth a visit at least once.
Yes you need to goto Amoeba records in LA. If I let my self could have easily spent hundreds there.

Yes you need to goto Amoeba records in LA. If I let my self could have easily spent hundreds there.

Yes indeed. That place is gigantic. Before you go though, you might want to look through their website to check out the schedule of live bands that'll be playing there on or around your intended date of arrival.

Back
Top Bottom