Morrissey Central "TROUBLE LOVES ME" (April 3, 2021)

That last bit about the Dolls is amazing. Top level absurdity.

It intrigues me that they continued writing and recording together for a few more years after this.

He was probably just unlucky that his replacement became a muse.

Jesse Tobias was lucky to become a "professional" guitarist. Maybe he has some special charm to compensate for the lack of talent

Is this Paul Weller 👇

20210404_162140.jpg

I'm collecting pictures of British pop stars who could use Union flags without comment - & it's basically every last one of them except Morrissey.

It's hilarious. Apparently it will only encourage fascism if you sing a song where your family & friends think they've lost you to the National Front & you're primarily known for hating Royalty, Mrs Thatcher & hamburgers.

bb2d1de3fc0a16dd5244c7d69392d841.jpg

5ab946e05009fffe23d02c139e5ae6d6.jpg

IMG_20210404_155511.jpg

cd9a93d6040b8ab75023d043168bc4ac.jpg

IMG_20210404_155503.jpg

Some woman on Twitter was claiming that Brit Pop had to rescue the flag from the evil of Morrissey. It's deranged!

658810e3bd8a019f201596e52ff894b8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hove, you might like this book 👇

(Been working on very quick 🙄 ways of saying that IMO Morrissey's interest in culture & nostalgia is part of his opposition to neoliberal hegemony - which exploits/disadvantages the poor, vulnerable & marginalised - rather than it being reactionary or against people.

Because it fits the facts!)

View attachment 70473
View attachment 70474
Thanks, I’ve just bought the kindle version.

Insulted Marianne Faithful, Nancy Sinatra & The New York Dolls by the looks of it.

View attachment 70514
View attachment 70515

It was probably just stress though - after years of minimal attention they were properly famous again & the schedule, scrutiny & logistics of that is a shock to the system. It can cause daft arguments.
The "rescuing" was quite mutual, Alain wrote many of Morrissey's finest songs (and hits). Jesse Tobias not so much

Yes, very sad. I wonder what really happened between those two.

There are contradictory accounts and a fair amount of hearsay. Morrissey claimed in his book that Alain wanted to appear on album covers and was intending to write a memoir. I think the former is gilding the lily around the fact that Alain had started his side project, Red Lightning, just before You Are The Quarry came out. He left the Quarry tour in Europe and video of his last gig showed him to be "not quite right." While there has been no definitive accounting of his departure - barring Boz Boorer writing on his old tour journal (now long gone) that Alain's "illness was apparent" - speculation is that he was severely depressed. He apparently tried (or asked) to rejoin the tour later that fall, which didn't come to pass. Similarly, his songs were used - and he recorded with the band - for Ringleader of the Tormentors, but was not asked to join the tour. That seemingly cemented Tobias as his permanent replacement live. Supposedly, Alain tried to join the recordings for Years of Refusal, but was barred from the studio, despite having provided (again) the lion's share of the co-writes. The rumor is that Boz was sent out to the parking lot to send him off. Fin.

All that said, barring Morrissey's account (to be fair, not the gold standard for unvarnished truth), nothing has been definitively put on the record. Alain's only comments publicly have been to the effect of "things happen for a reason." Whatever transpired, it's a pity.

The "rescuing" was quite mutual, Alain wrote many of Morrissey's finest songs (and hits). Jesse Tobias not so much

Bit moot since Morrissey was a name & should have been able to find someone to work with.

It's actually quite odd that he found a wee rockabilly band instead putting together people with an established reputation. Probably a sign he was never going to move fully into the mainstream.

Thanks!

Omg. Almost literally flag shagging. But it's ok, because it's cool. And heterosexual. 🙃

Don'tLookBack.jpg

(The eponymous book on Cool Britannia by Daniel Rachel has a whole chapter on Morrissey)

Also, because I love her:

SonyaJackie.jpg

View attachment 70544

(The eponymous book on Cool Britannia by Daniel Rachel has a whole chapter on Morrissey)

Also, because I love her:

View attachment 70546

Is it rude about him?????

When I was a kid my sister took me along to a soundcheck & Echobelly were having a huge fight & a band called Rialto gave me a t-shirt. And their record company's A & R man told me how dreadful it was being an A & R man.

When I was a kid my sister took me along to a soundcheck & Echobelly were having a huge fight & a band called Rialto gave me a t-shirt. And their record company's A & R man told me how dreadful it was being an A & R man.

It's based on a collection of interviews. It's been a while since I've read it, but I believe Sonya and Noel were both quite decent about it, unlike others.
I think Noel concluded that waving the Union Jack in front of a crowd of skinheads was a bit stupid and evidently he's not wrong 😅

(I can probably send it to you tomorrow)

Last edited:
Bit moot since Morrissey was a name & should have been able to find someone to work with.

It's actually quite odd that he found a wee rockabilly band instead putting together people with an established reputation. Probably a sign he was never going to move fully into the mainstream.
Morrissey is a household name here in Britain. If you ask people on the streets of Britain "Who is Alain Whyte?" Will they be able to answer correctly?

Morrissey made it in America and in Hollywood. That is proper stardom! If you can make it in America you can make it anywhere. Also the Mexicans love Morrissey he is known all over the world.

I think Rialto supported Morrissey in ‘97.

Or was it Elcka?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rialto supported Morrissey in ‘97.

Ach! I can't find anything on Google because there's a million theatres called Rialto.

I found this though - it must be the day I was dragged to the soundcheck. Monday 8th!

20210405_020252.jpg

Ach! I can't find anything on Google because there's a million theatres called Rialto.

I found this though - it must be the day I was dragged to the soundcheck. Monday 8th!

View attachment 70552
I must’ve seen Rialto on that tour, Supporting Echobelly then. The latter were a great band. With a really poor name. I really liked the 'On' LP.

I must’ve seen Rialto on that tour, Supporting Echobelly then. The latter were a great band. With a really poor name. I really liked the 'On' LP.
I saw Rialto supporting Echobelly in London, I'dd guess around ‘98. I’d seen already Echobelly before and was so impressed with Rialto I left straight after and didn’t even hang around for the main gig, LOL. It was during that time where I went through a dreadful Moz-like period of picking bands that I thought would be massive but ended up going nowhere. ‘My Life Story’ was another band I was so sure would huge, I tried picking up one of the violinists at the bar after one of their gigs but unfortunately my mate had an adverse reaction to the Ecstasy we’d taken earlier in the evening so we had to leave pronto :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just listened to them for the first time. Like em. Their name is fine. Easy to remember.

I never saw the show! I was dumped in Rialtos dressing room. With the A & R man, a couple of groupies & sometimes the band.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom