TTY: New Morrissey T-shirt

- OLink from an anonymous person:

New Morrissey T-shirt - true-to-you.net
15 March 2017

39758_baldwin_tshirt.jpg

Available at forthcoming Morrissey shows in North America.
Also available on Mporium.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited:
What the f*** is 'racist' about the t-shirt?
This is indicative of the PC fascism that has taken over most universities these days meaning that figures like Germaine Greer and Peter Tatchell are prevented from getting a platform. f***ing scary.
Is the t-shirt any good? Would I wear it? No not at all.

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Well, he's headed out for some dates after a period of quiet.
Time to stir the ol' poo-pot and raise a stink, because no such thing as bad publicity, after all...

Last edited:
it usually takes a good while to get to four pages of comments on here unless its about racism then the comments flood in.for me when he said black on the inside he was referring to his battle with depression.what if he had the same quote with a picture of bruce lee on the tshirt,its not just blacks who were shown racism bruce lee was overlooked for the tv series that became kung fu because he was too Chinese so they went for carradine.

What a daft t-shirt. Of course Morrissey, with his track record, knew such merchandise would prompt a reaction in some quarters. And garner some publicity for his latest tour/ re-release/ waning career.
For what it's worth my opinion is making people aware of the black struggle/ blacklivesmatter is worthy, especially in these populist times, but clumsy cultural appropriation to shift a few t-shirts ain't. Will the proceeds be going to 'fight the power' or on more Liberace coats and Grey Goose vodka?

Yes the t-shirt may be referring to depression as well as the obvious Smiths but why equate a prominent black civil rights activist with a mental health issue? If James Baldwin also suffered from bouts of depression then it still doesn't make it acceptable in my eyes. How many Morrissey fans are familiar with James Baldwin's life and work? ?
In autobiography Morrissey wrote that the accusations of his purported hatred of black music were untrue as he wrote the line 'I wear black on the outside cos black is how I feel on the inside.'
I thought that he may have been taking the piss but perhaps not.

Last edited:
As a great admirer of James Baldwin, even longer than Morrissey, I wouldn´t buy this shirt.
The "I wear Baldwin on the outside..." line would be better.
I would buy a shirt with a Morrissey picture and the line "And if I seem a little strange, well that´s because I am." . Sammy?

If James Baldwin also suffered from bouts of depression ...

“And this was perhaps the first time in my life that death occurred to me as a reality. I thought of the people before me who had looked down at the river and gone to sleep beneath it. I wondered about them. I wondered how they had done it—it, the physical act. I had thought of suicide when I was much younger, as, possibly, we all have, but then it would have been for revenge, it would have been my way of informing the world how awfully it had made me suffer. But the silence of the evening, as I wandered home, had nothing to do with that storm, that far off boy. I simply wondered about the dead because their days had ended and I did not know how I would get through mine.”
Giovanni's Room

James Baldwin was one of the most celebrated writers of the 20th century, from his essay collection Notes Of A Native Son to his first novel Go Tell It On The Mountain. But this searingly clear description of a suicidal urge comes from his semi-autobiographical novellaGiovanni's Room, based loosely on a relationship Baldwin had with a Swiss man in Paris. Baldwin himself was deeply depressed and unsuccessfully tried to end his own life numerous times, before dying of cancer in 1987.

Morrissey thinks ex-President Obama is white inside, whilst proclaiming he himself feels 'black on the inside'.
In other words, Morrissey thinks he is blacker than Obama.

We live in strange and interesting times, folks. He'll probably sign to Def Jam Records next.

Yes the t-shirt may be referring to depression as well as the obvious Smiths but why equate a prominent black civil rights activist with a mental health issue? If James Baldwin also suffered from bouts of depression then it still doesn't make it acceptable in my eyes. How many Morrissey fans are familiar with James Baldwin's life and work? ?
In autobiography Morrissey wrote that the accusations of his purported hatred of black music were untrue as he wrote the line 'I wear black on the outside cos black is how I feel on the inside.'
I thought that he may have been taking the piss but perhaps not.

My question then is, as has already been mentioned, if he'd featured Johnny Cash instead, another well know artist with depression, would you have had a problem with it? Or even say James Dean for that matter?

rhetoric lines/lyrics now turned into kerching t-shirts !
It's over and done with once and for all. L O L !

Kiss me all over my face and then kiss me all over again :guitar: :rofl:

Last person out please switch the light off ! Thanks.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife: ( told you he was 4kd years ago )

Yawn...

Have you really used the "switch the light off" cliche? Is that the best you could come up with? Oh dear...

Racist? Absolutely not.
Misguided? A little...he must have known that this will leave him open criticism from the mouth-breathing morons.
Does he care? Nope.
Would I wear one? No, not my thing.

My question then is, as has already been mentioned, if he'd featured Johnny Cash instead, another well know artist with depression, would you have had a problem with it? Or even say James Dean for that matter?

By using an image of Baldwin Morrissey is reimagining/repurposing the meaning of the original lyric and that's the problem as I see it. The original lyric referred to depression and this seemingly to the state of being black, which, I assume, being allergic to political correctness, is an awful lot like being white.

He could equally, I suppose, approve a "The Queen Is Dead" lyric shirt with Freddie Mercury on the front, or "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" with a picture of Hillary Clinton. In that context the purpose of the Baldwin shirt was to shock, if not to actually offend.

A normal reaction to being brought such a concept - even by a retarded nephew - would surely be "you can f*** that sky-high", and a speedy realisation that the potential negatives outweigh the minor positives by a considerable distance.

Unless, of course, and I want you to open your minds real wide here; he no longer gives a shit.

I was gonna say that Baldwin could also be depressed and were probably all racist by only seeing Baldwin as a black man and that any mention of the word black must be in reference to his race but an above anon seems to have beat me to it. I guess I Like the shirt because it seems to say more about the viewer and what they see in it the shirt really doesn't say much of anything at all

As I said once: when Morrissey says he feels black inside it's not racism... it's love and respect but, of course, no one is interested in this kind of feelings 'cause it's always better speak against everyone and everything.

I really do hate it.

This situation reminds of Morrissey commments on Chinese people... that was bloody awful, I remember and I'm pretty sure in that day he didn't make himself understood....

The shirt, whether or not you feel it is or isn't racist, is another very bad judgement call. Another in a long line of recent bad calls over the last decade. His PR and/or agent must not exist because I don't see how anyone in their right mind would have seen this and said "Yes Moz, this is a really good idea!"

The shirt, whether or not you feel it is or isn't racist, is another very bad judgement call. Another in a long line of recent bad calls over the last decade. His PR and/or agent must not exist because I don't see how anyone in their right mind would have seen this and said "Yes Moz, this is a really good idea!"

I know he's a long time fan but it's probably inspired by morrisseys recent viewing of the Baldwin doc I am not your negro. I don't know, like I said its interestingly provocative while in itself being fairly innocuous. As I already said some of the reactions make me think people only think of him as a male negro and I think that's worth thinking about. It also seems that some think that any possible peripheral reference to race is trivializing the black experience which makes me think that when white people think of the black experience they only think of oppression which seems to me an expression of white guilt. The shirt doesn't trivialize the unjust things done to the black community in any way but some seem to suggest that a white person cant make any allusion to black mans race unless that's not about oppression lest they be trivializing the black community's history. As to marketing I don't think morrissey really cares all that much. Sure he cares to some degree but I think at his age and after already succeeding so much in reaching his goal of being a pop star that he's probably more interested in just expressing his feelings whatever they may be which to me is more exciting than wondering what strategy a marketing team in concocting

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom