TTY: New Morrissey T-shirt

- OLink from an anonymous person:

New Morrissey T-shirt - true-to-you.net
15 March 2017

39758_baldwin_tshirt.jpg

Available at forthcoming Morrissey shows in North America.
Also available on Mporium.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited:
A lot of people are being triggered by this shirt. I noticed this public posting on the Morrissey Official Facebook page - I guess it must be Jerry Finn's niece?

"Honestly Morrissey, I'm really disappointed in your new shirt. Not only that but I just found out about other racist things you've said and it's pretty terrible. I really love your music and it has really gotten me through a lot. I've been dealing with mental illnesses and taking care of my Grandfather with Alzheimer's and listening to you has been like therapy to me. I really connected with your music. The shirt wouldve been a lot cooler if you were pictured on it, I mightve purchased it if you were on it. But its absolutely unaccetable. It kills me to boycott your music since its done so much for me but I will until you take down the shirt. My Uncle actually worked with you to produce one of your albums and if he was alive today he would be disapointed as well. Please redesign the shirt, it would benefit you a lot more."

Hi rifke good to hear from you.

Because I must !
Please be aware that in your absence we now have a small minded poster onboard who insists on us all spilling corrictly :drama:

* running :thumb:

It posts by the name of P J or something or other.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend rifke.

Benny-the-British-Butcher (for you only) :greatbritain::knife::kiss:

rifke, you are brilliant and I would never highlight any literacy errors in your (or anyone else's) posts because I truly do not care.

I call out Benny because he is a shameless liar and an embarrassing moron. The fact that he has used the term "small minded" in reference to anyone but himself tells you all you need to know.

I had stopped responding to his slurry as I did not want to keep fuelling his masturbatory fantasies, but as he is mentioning me in response to your post and something I have not done, I thought I'd better remind everyone what a hopeless and desperate liar he has become.

You should know that he has taken to responding to his own posts and pretending to be me. Yes, he is that much of a twat.

JP

RIP Chuck Berry.
The way he introduces Roll Over Beethoven here reminds me of some of Morrissey's diction/self-deprecation/wit:

What was the origin of the "Beethoven Was Deaf" title, anyway?

I always took it as a humorous pun on the word 'def' as in 'Hip-hop is def' add in a bit of disability chic and reference to an icon of the past and hey presto you have a great Morrissey title a la The Malady Lingers On.

RIP Chuck Berry.
The way he introduces Roll Over Beethoven here reminds me of some of Morrissey's diction/self-deprecation/wit:

What was the origin of the "Beethoven Was Deaf" title, anyway?

He was deaf. But not his entire life.
So in a way the title tells us nothing new.
Still funny and, there is a mysterious aspect to it cause he composed such great music by writing down the music notes and not having any idea how it would sound.
Cheers King Leer! :thumb:

It has been replaced with a shirt featuring a Syrian refugee and the phrase "England For The English."

rifke, you are brilliant and I would never highlight any literacy errors in your (or anyone else's) posts because I truly do not care.

I call out Benny because he is a shameless liar and an embarrassing moron. The fact that he has used the term "small minded" in reference to anyone but himself tells you all you need to know.

I had stopped responding to his slurry as I did not want to keep fuelling his masturbatory fantasies, but as he is mentioning me in response to your post and something I have not done, I thought I'd better remind everyone what a hopeless and desperate liar he has become.

You should know that he has taken to responding to his own posts and pretending to be me. Yes, he is that much of a twat.

JP
haha, ah i see! i wasnt sure who he was referring to. ohhhh that benny :lbf:

I had an experience like this as a teen and the Patti Smith song Rock N Roll N*****, those lyrics "outside of society is where I wanna be", felt right because that's where I was compared to the majority. Despite the N-word being sung in the chorus, It's saying it as a word that alienates and vilifies people ( all people/any person) who do not conform to the mainstream way of thinking.
There are many things that alienate people: mental illness is one of those things, being gay is another of those things, as well as being a person of color, or if you're like me, even just being a little strange.
So stay strong Moz, some of us get it.

My dad agrees with you and Patti Smith. He says the n word a lot but he isn't racist. He is a police officer and he said no one would care if he shot a white drug addict but if he had to shoot a black person it might cause a riot. He wants to get this shirt so he can wear it when he has to work at the black lives matter event next month. When I told him they aren't selling it anymore he went outside and emptied a clip into a tree in the front yard and said the n word more times than Patti Smith says it in that song.

I think intention is everything with this T-shirt, the backlash has been huge but i really believe if this T-shirt was released in the 80's / 90's no one would have said anything and would have seen it for what i believe it is. Raising awareness to the great man in the picture and Morrissey showing his respect for such a figure. Instead we just hear negative, divisive, hate from every angle on this. Just my thoughts.

I check the mporium sites a couple of times a day and looked at both after the TTY post went up. As far as I am aware the Baldwin shirt was never listed on either site. Who knows, it may show up at the merchant tables. And why shouldn't it?

SOSB

I think intention is everything with this T-shirt, the backlash has been huge but i really believe if this T-shirt was released in the 80's / 90's no one would have said anything and would have seen it for what i believe it is. Raising awareness to the great man in the picture and Morrissey showing his respect for such a figure. Instead we just hear negative, divisive, hate from every angle on this. Just my thoughts.
I agree and I believe the intention was to troll the music press and anyone else who might give Morrissey some attention. I think it worked really well.

it usually takes a good while to get to four pages of comments on here unless its about racism then the comments flood in.for me when he said black on the inside he was referring to his battle with depression.what if he had the same quote with a picture of bruce lee on the tshirt,its not just blacks who were shown racism bruce lee was overlooked for the tv series that became kung fu because he was too Chinese so they went for carradine.

lol everybody knows that. Media and people are calling Morrissey racist because could've picked any other lyric as a tribute but he went for the color of his skin. Why does some moz fan don't understand this?

My dad agrees with you and Patti Smith. He says the n word a lot but he isn't racist. He is a police officer and he said no one would care if he shot a white drug addict but if he had to shoot a black person it might cause a riot. He wants to get this shirt so he can wear it when he has to work at the black lives matter event next month. When I told him they aren't selling it anymore he went outside and emptied a clip into a tree in the front yard and said the n word more times than Patti Smith says it in that song.

lmao this comment is gold :lbf:

More quality 'journalism':
"On Morrissey's fan website, where the singer sometimes posts, fans were divided over the shirt, with some not being able to see the problem. Others, however, were offended. One anonymous poster wrote: "Imagining Morrissey attempting to explain why he feels 'Black on the inside' within this context is so laughably tone-deaf, it further proves that his racial naivete knows no bounds and that once again must be without a manager."

Come on, own up: which one of you is Morrissey!?

Oh, and congratulations to 'Anon' IP Hash: 921ac00130 for being quoted by The Telegraph.

Article 22nd, March, 2017:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/morrissey-takes-t-shirt-offsale-accusations-racism/
*Thank you for adding my Telegraph link, but apparently I am two people! *

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom