Morrissey Central Unsung (December 11, 2020)

Unsung

December 11, 2020
Unknown_vwiksy.jpg

" Mavis Nicholson is, or was - or is still the best television interviewer from these isles. She broadcast the most
compelling TV interviews with James Baldwin, Kenneth Williams, Bette Davis, Nina Simone, Germaine Greer,
David Bowie … but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist
male interviewers. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by her in, I think 1991, when she came to visit me with a
small crew of technicians. I was so much in awe of Mavis … her humanity, her ease, her intellect … that I typically
completely messed it all up. I didn't think I was ready for such an important interview … I didn't think I was "me" yet,
and I rattled on so much about self-destruction and the inevitability of suicide that I later asked Mavis not to air our
conversation. She agreed not to … probably thinking it to be just too much. I often wonder where those tapes
ended up. On a skip, perhaps. But nonetheless, her very impressive interviews ought to be either re-shown or
made available on DVD because they are absolutely a vital study of how to get the best out of the subject … no
sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets … just a very classy connection requiring
nothing but gentle charm and the power of words." Morrissey, December 2020.

Last edited:
Lost interview referenced here in Spin November 1992 (or read here, for those who prefer the magazine layout).

"SPIN: But, objectively, it doesn’t seem to me that you have a reason not to like yourself.

Morrissey: More to the point, I don’t have a reason to like myself. I did an interview once with Mavis Nicholson. And after the interview, she whispered to a friend of mine, 'There’s nothing he likes about himself, is there?' And it was a crushing moment. I thought, well, Mavis, 30 minutes is all it took you to find out."
I remember that interview well. Back when some journalists were intelligent and didn't have an agenda to be salacious and ruinous. Great questions. Brave questions. Moz tried to answer them but I think his not liking himself and self depreciation is a security blanket to a certain extent.

It's lovely the way Morrissey remembers people. That's not very common during these times when people are erased as if they have never existed and it only matters the "new", the "diverse", the "politically correct" and the "relevant".

Last edited:
100%. That's the real Moz. Let's see more of this Moz.
Right, he can keep his stupid interview 😆

I just want a whole book of stuff like this.

I love to watch interviews that are actually about digging up and presenting content and not just about triggering noisy reactions from the audience. I'm gonna watch the one with Lilli Palmer tonight to see how the Celtic and the Prussian elements got along with each other.

...but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist male interviewers.

And life as a consequence was imitating TV everyday.

I often wonder where those tapes
ended up.

Yes, where are they?

no
sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets …

We really have had enough of this shit!

just a very classy connection requiring
nothing but gentle charm and the power of words."

!! And I guess she didn't feel the need to come across as her interviewees best buddy.

It's lovely the way Morrissey remembers people after they left this world. That's not very common during these times when people are erased as if they have never existed and it only matters the "new", the "diverse", the "politically correct" and the "relevant".
She's still alive. She's 90.
That's probably why he's switching the tense at the beginning.

She's still alive. She's 90.
That's probably why he's switching the tense at the beginning.
OMG, I thought she was dead because of the "was". Sorry. Well, if she's 90 probably she'll survive most of us. I hope it.
Anyway, it's very nice how Morrissey remembers people, dead or not dead. I think that it talks about his sensibility (hoping I used the word in the right way).

OMG, I thought she was dead because of the "was". Sorry. Well, if she's 90 probably she'll survive most of us. I hope it.
Anyway, it's very nice how Morrissey remembers people, dead or not dead. I think that it talks about his sensibility (hoping I used the word in the right way).
WHAT, she’s alive, holy crap,
I’ve just returned from church as I’ve been to light a candle for the old dear..... Ah well I suppose the candle I lit can represent the dead sense of humour for our latest friend on solo, Captain birds eye ....

mavis was great,i actually thought she did pebble mill at one for som reason,interviewers had time to chip away at an interviewee in those days,these days an interview on breakfast tv lasts about three minutes if your lucky.

Didn’t she interview Morrissey in the 80’s? Pebble Mill, or something of that ilk as I recall. I always think of Morrissey when I think of her. I‘m pretty sure she did. Almost certain.

mavis was great,i actually thought she did pebble mill at one for som reason,interviewers had time to chip away at an interviewee in those days,these days an interview on breakfast tv lasts about three minutes if your lucky.
There is nobody that does proper interviews now on telly now...
Suppose it’s just the way things are nowadays.....
The likes of Jonathan ross, Graham Norton talk more than their guests, that said its the same old faces on their shows and you know every aspect of their tedious lives anyway...

Didn’t she interview Morrissey in the 80’s? Pebble Mill, or something of that ilk as I recall. I always think of Morrissey when I think of her. I‘m pretty sure she did. Almost certain.
thinking about it, it wasn’t Pebble Mill, but an afternoon show nonetheless. I saw it when it was broadcast. Johnny may have been present, but I definitely recall Morrissey as he clearly appreciated talking with her.

I‘m not confusing this with anything from the 90’s.

Getting off the beaten track ever so slightly, A question for all....
How many soaps has Morrissey appeared in, and what were they called???

There is nobody that does proper interviews now on telly now...
Suppose it’s just the way things are nowadays.....
The likes of Jonathan ross, Graham Norton talk more than their guests, that said its the same old faces on their shows and you know every aspect of their tedious lives anyway...
baz your so right,i checked j ross guests last saturday night,kylie again,if you combine the appearances on bbc and stv over the years then j ross sees kylie more than his wife,its ridiculous.

thinking about it, it wasn’t Pebble Mill, but an afternoon show nonetheless. I saw it when it was broadcast. Johnny may have been present, but I definitely recall Morrissey as he clearly appreciated talking with her.

I‘m not confusing this with anything from the 90’s.
are you not thinking of muriel gray who is more scottish than a tin of shortbread,one of Ms best interviews.

ALERT

baz your so right,i checked j ross guests last saturday night,kylie again,if you combine the appearances on bbc and stv over the years then j ross sees kylie more than his wife,its ridiculous.
I never watch these shows , but I always press the info button to see who is on , and as you say it’s always the likes of kylie.... olde 4kin wosssy won’t be complaining though, will he!!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom