"Vauxhall & I" exclusive blue vinyl included in HMV’s Vinyl Week (in stores Aug. 15, 2020)

In store from 15th August, pressed onto blue vinyl and limited to 1,000 copies.

full

Whatever you might make of his politics or his increasingly grumpy interventions into public life, there's no denying that during his time as frontman of The Smiths Morrissey was considered – quite rightly – to be one of the greatest lyricists of his generation. His post-Smiths work has been something of a mixed bag, but in a solo career that has so far produced 13 studio albums he has, every once in a while, turned in an album that reminds his fans why they keep the faith.

Of his first four solo albums, Vauxhall and I is one of his very best and includes one of his finest solo tracks in 'The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get'. The album joins our list of Vinyl Week exclusives this year with a new reissue pressed onto blue vinyl and limited to 1000 copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if HMV have put it upon themselves to give us their blessing to purchase this album from an artist as toxic and divisive as Morrissey, I can't own three copies now having bought the remastered one. I can only hope they continue to bless other future purchases I might make.

It is a nice blue though.

Bill's Inglot's mastering is masterful. And bitchin. In summation.

í got the gold one, but to me it looked more like vomit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder í suppose.

í may see if eBay has any sane sellers on this one, cos í sure aint going into any record shop with a bunch of filthy vinyl sniffers. Still waiting for The Fascist Effect to kick in on those eBay prices...

I have vomited golden a few times. It was the mixture of carrot and corn that added the sparkle. It didn't pass the sniff test though at the bank.

Action .... my only failure on your list is joy division .... for some reason I’ve never wanted to take the time to listen to a whole album by them.... the rest on your list, yes at some point... BUT I have some block on JD , I don’t know why .... maybe it’s depressing ??? My one thing to do this weekend 🤫🤫🤫
Years ago I bought a few JD cds in HMV cos they were €4 each. I played one and thought 'Ian's voice is just weird' and I put them away. A few years later I listened again and thought it was amazing. It's funny but people's tastes can change, or maybe as I get older I'm more willing to give things a chance. Anyway I'm glad I went back to JD. I'd say the same about the crime novels of George Pelecanos.
Moz said in an interview around 1999 that people can't change (he was talking about the upcoming year 2000 - as he sang on Reader Meet Author) but I think he was wrong.

Action .... my only failure on your list is joy division .... for some reason I’ve never wanted to take the time to listen to a whole album by them.... the rest on your list, yes at some point... BUT I have some block on JD , I don’t know why .... maybe it’s depressing ??? My one thing to do this weekend 🤫🤫🤫
Action is my middle name, I can't waste time anymore.
Truly yours,
Acton.

'Of his first four solo albums, Vauxhall and I is one of his very best '

I should think so, there are only 4 to choose from :D

This 'one of the' is the laziest writing there is. 'One of the very best....'EVERYTHING is 'one of the very best' even if its the 16,234th best, it's still ONE OF the very best.

"..but in a solo career that has so far produced 13 studio albums he has, every once in a while, turned in an album that reminds his fans why they keep the faith."

Ouch! He'll gag on his pint of vodka when he reads this!

"..but in a solo career that has so far produced 13 studio albums he has, every once in a while, turned in an album that reminds his fans why they keep the faith."

It's also a stinking lie. They're all great.

It's his relationship with the business that keeps going to hell.

By Moz or EVER? I love Vauxhall and probably would rate it as his best solo album (although Your Arsenal comes close).

But my favourite album ever is probably Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division. I say probably because it is almost impossible to pick a favourite record.

My top 11 would be:

Unknown Pleasures (JD)
Closer (JD)
Meat Is Murder
Disintegration (The Cure)
Kiss Me x 3 (The Cure)
The Queen Is Dead
Suede (Suede)
Low Life (New Order)
The Man Machine (Kraftwerk)
Vauxhall And I
Your Arsenal
Hate JD. Singer miserable droged , lost look. No no. He was like miserable. I do not care about their music. No no.

Years ago I bought a few JD cds in HMV cos they were €4 each. I played one and thought 'Ian's voice is just weird' and I put them away. A few years later I listened again and thought it was amazing. It's funny but people's tastes can change, or maybe as I get older I'm more willing to give things a chance. Anyway I'm glad I went back to JD. I'd say the same about the crime novels of George Pelecanos.
Moz said in an interview around 1999 that people can't change (he was talking about the upcoming year 2000 - as he sang on Reader Meet Author) but I think he was wrong.

Both JD albums are an acquired taste but I’m a fan.
Permanent is one of the best compilations any band has done. Far better than Substance, original or reissued.

By Moz or EVER? I love Vauxhall and probably would rate it as his best solo album (although Your Arsenal comes close).

But my favourite album ever is probably Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division. I say probably because it is almost impossible to pick a favourite record.

My top 11 would be:

Unknown Pleasures (JD)
Closer (JD)
Meat Is Murder
Disintegration (The Cure)
Kiss Me x 3 (The Cure)
The Queen Is Dead
Suede (Suede)
Low Life (New Order)
The Man Machine (Kraftwerk)
Vauxhall And I
Your Arsenal
That's a really interesting and engaging list. I'd swap Suede for Dogmanstar and I cannot be doing with New Order (sorry Surface) due to Barney's truly awful vocals...but I'm with you with everything else. Have you listened to anything by The Decemberists or David Ford? I think you will like them both.

Gotta love coloured vinyl. Takes you back, was so exciting going round record shops back in the day pre Internet and getting your hands on something special. Think my first was ramones don't come close 12" in red. Loved that and still have it. Love vauxhall so it's a no brainer really.

It's pure bollox though. Great Moz albums: Viva, Arsenal, Vauxhall, Quarry, Ringleader, and I really liked all the rest. He has produced far more great albums than most or all of his contemporaries. These high standards of judgement are never levelled against The Rolling Stones or anyone else. Moz can hold his head high, musically at least.
Now I'm off to the couch to enjoy a slice of nostalgia: The New Avengers with Purdey and Steed. Followed by Blake's 7.

Last edited:
I need to get one for my collection, but don't think is efficient to purchase a plane ticket to the uk to get one. Any kind individual out there i could send some Pounds to get me one.........please
Note....i could care less about reviews, strictly going into collection, sealed if i can get one .

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom