'Very Best Of Morrissey' LP & CD packaging ~ new matrix message.

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
I just acquired the new LP and CD/DVD.

Side A has the words 'ASK FOR TOUGHEY' etched in the run-out groove. Which is, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, a 'Bleak House' nod. 'Toughey' is the nickname given by Mr.Bucket to Jo the street-sweeper boy. Here is the full passage, from Chapter 57 - 'Esther's Narrative', which features the matrix message ~

"Why, now I'll tell you, Miss Summerson," he replied. "Your mind will be all the better for not running on one point too continually, and I'll tell you for a change. It was him as pointed out to me where Toughey was. I made up my mind that night to come to the door and ask for Toughey, if that was all; but willing to try a move or so first, if any such was on the board, I just pitched up a morsel of gravel at that window where I saw a shadow. As soon as Harold opens it and I have had a look at him, thinks I, you're the man for me. So I smoothed him down a bit about not wanting to disturb the family after they was gone to bed and about its being a thing to be regretted that charitable young ladies should harbour vagrants; and then, when I pretty well understood his ways, I said I should consider a fypunnote well bestowed if I could relieve the premises of Toughey without causing any noise or trouble. Then says he, lifting up his eyebrows in the gayest way, 'It's no use menfioning a fypunnote to me, my friend, because I'm a mere child in such matters and have no idea of money.' Of course I understood what his taking it so easy meant; and being now quite sure he was the man for me, I wrapped the note round a little stone and threw it up to him. Well! He laughs and beams, and looks as innocent as you like, and says, 'But I don't know the value of these things. What am I to DO with this?' 'Spend it, sir,' says I. 'But I shall be taken in,' he says, 'they won't give me the right change, I shall lose it, it's no use to me.' Lord, you never saw such a face as he carried it with! Of course he told me where to find Toughey, and I found him."

That's probably the most interesting thing about the packaging!

The LP is not gatefold, it's 2 discs in a wide spine sleeve (cute catalogue # ~ SMLP71). There is precisely one extra photograph included within both LP and CD. It's this shot by Perou from 2006 (?!) ~

Moz741.jpg

For the LP that shot is sliced into quarter squares and folded together to make up the inner bags housing the 2 discs. The original announcement on tty talked of a pull-out poster but also a poster bag. This must be what they mean. In order to make up the poster you would have to pull apart the inner sleeves and arrange the 4 quarters to make a 24"x24" poster! That's a new one on me. I did laugh out loud though when I opened the LP to be greeted with one inner sleeve featuring Morrisseys massive head and the other sleeve featuring his slender pelvis!
The CD/DVD does come in a gatefold sleeve and features the top half of the Perou shot (no crotch shot). There is no booklet of any kind. Which is a bit bobbins.
There are a few cute little touches, like a retro technical instruction on the back : 'Control Guide For Settings - mark in your preferred setting of control for ready reference when adjusting your machine for all future playings' beneath 3 little dials for Treble, Bass and Stereo Balance.
Also ~ 'Very Best Of Morrissey Is A Major Minor Production'
And, above the barcode, "FILE UNDER POPULAR"

So, a bit 'meh'.
Nice matrix though...

thanks for this Joe,
Interesting and touching that he used the Dickens reference.
and 'file under popular' is just too funny.

Stone me, Morrissey fashion style just gets better and better. He looks so smart. Note to self, open collar with loose tie for this winter down under. From, Routledge "Who's Who in Dickens", Jo The wretched little crossing sweeper, befriended by Captain Hawdon (known as Nemo) " No father, no mother, no friends. Never been to school. What's home? Knows a broom's a broom, and knows it's wicked to tell a lie. Don't recollect who told him about the broom, or about the lie, but knows both".

Stone me, Morrissey fashion style just gets better and better. He looks so smart. Note to self, open collar with loose tie for this winter down under. From, Routledge "Who's Who in Dickens", Jo The wretched little crossing sweeper, befriended by Captain Hawdon (known as Nemo) " No father, no mother, no friends. Never been to school. What's home? Knows a broom's a broom, and knows it's wicked to tell a lie. Don't recollect who told him about the broom, or about the lie, but knows both".

I'm sure that picture was from 2006, from a photo shoot for Uncut. Same session as this one:
Moz745-1.jpg

In fact, it's been up on Comtesse's website for 5 years.

Not that I dislike the fashion. I think he looks amazing. (well, I always think he looks amazing....)

When I read the information release I though "The Very Best of" would have an interesting booklet filled with loads of shots... However as joe frady detailed to us it wouldn't.
Did you get a copy of both formats, yet?

Are those really the only pictures? :squiffy:
Where are the "very rare – in some instances, previously unseen – stunning photos from Jake Walters, Kevin Cummins, Linder Sterling, Perou and Renaud Monfourny"?

And yes, the 'Sacha Distel' photo was taken in Rome 2006, January 10th, between 1.30 pm and 3.30 pm. They had a short tea break, too. ;)

i think the full booklet is not not always included in promo cds.

the full booklet will surely be included in the official release

i think the full booklet is not not always included in promo cds.

the full booklet will surely be included in the official release

This wasn't a promo. This is the full commercial, retail release, and there is no booklet. Unless I got a duff copy, which is doubtful. It was still sealed. Plus all the credits, thank yous (to Laurent Distel) etcetera are printed teeny-tiny on the inside of the gatefold CD sleeve, adjacent to the Perou shot. These would normally be featured in any booklet.

This wasn't a promo. This is the full commercial, retail release, and there is no booklet. Unless I got a duff copy, which is doubtful. It was still sealed. Plus all the credits, thank yous (to Laurent Distel) etcetera are printed teeny-tiny on the inside of the gatefold CD sleeve, adjacent to the Perou shot. These would normally be featured in any booklet.

Joe.. take a sh0ot of that and show us your copy, please. I guess everybody is looking forward to see it.
The more we wait the more anxious we become.

maybe the promised unseen booklet pics vanished cause there too hot for the public? hehe but hey the arse cannnot be topped really..
i have a look but i doubt the german one is diff to the british one
when its released on saturday/actually friday here but since friday is easter so..saturday
http://www.amazon.de/Very-Best-Morrissey/dp/B004LYG4LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303389857&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Joe.. take a sh0ot of that and show us your copy, please. I guess everybody is looking forward to see it.
The more we wait the more anxious we become.

It's exactly the same as the shot I posted above, with the Distel LP.

It's exactly the same as the shot I posted above, with the Distel LP.

Sorry, but I guess I didn't make myself understood. I meant you could take a shot of your copy with the booklet opened.
Do you know if there're any etchings on vinyl?
Is the cd a 45-rpm mock-up?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I guess I didn't make myself understood. I meant you could take a shot of your copy with the booklet opened.
Do you know if there're any etchings on vinyl?
Is the cd a 45-rpm mock-up?

I'm sorry, but my scanner is down at the moment. I could take a shot on my camera but it wouldn't come out very well; you would barely be able to read the credits. But I'll try later anyway
As I said in post#1 the LP etching on Side A is "ASK FOR TOUGHEY"
The cd/dvd discs feature the same orange Major Minor labels as 'Bona Drag' Redux and 'Glamorous Glue'. No mock vinyl, which is a pity.

My 'best of' package is on the way. I'm looking forward to pawing through all of the above for myself! :thumb:

Flipside of LP ~

5643498494_4eee0593c4_b.jpg

Open gatefold CD/DVD sleeve ~

5642935621_bfdb44d01d_b.jpg

Credits on the CD/DVD sleeve ~

5642998065_804d51f613_b.jpg

The cheeky LP inners / "poster bags" ~

5643027837_40eeae4a66_b.jpg

* Is it me or does Morrissey appear cross-eyed in this shot?!

Flipside of LP ~

5643498494_4eee0593c4_b.jpg

Open gatefold CD/DVD sleeve ~

5642935621_bfdb44d01d_b.jpg

Credits on the CD/DVD sleeve ~

5642998065_804d51f613_b.jpg

The cheeky LP inners / "poster bags" ~

5643027837_40eeae4a66_b.jpg

* Is it me or does Morrissey appear cross-eyed in this shot?!

Hey Joe... thank you very much for posting and sharing your copy with us.
This shot is so beautiful, isn't this?

The Tim Board's videos are still credited wrongly.

Back
Top Bottom