Vote Morrissey Best All-Time Lead Singer

G

goinghome

MusicRadar want the public to decide by voting on their website - http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/who-is-the-greatest-lead-singer-of-all-time-290905

- "In case you haven't guessed by now, we love getting you lot involved for a bit of list making. We've recently seen you nominate the greatest drummer of the last 25 years (with a bit of help from our sister mag Rhythm), the decade's greatest riffs (thanks Total Guitar) and you've let us know your 25 greatest bassists of all time.

Each time the response has been amazing, every list has been hotly contested with plenty of debate and controversy along the way. Which is great.

This, in many ways, is the big one: the greatest lead singer of all time. Like it or loath it, a band's public image, live shows and, ultimately, their success can often rest squarely on the shoulders of their front-person. But what makes a front-person great? And who is the greatest ever?

So whether it's a flamboyant showman like Freddy Mercury, a troubled rocker like Kurt Cobain or Ian Curtis, an iconic songstress like Debbie Harry or Stevie Nicks or an opinionated Northerner like Morrissey or Mark E Smith, it's time for you to let us know your thoughts. The only rule is that they must have performed as part of a band - so no solo artists...."

I spit on anyone nominating Freddie Mercury. Such an awful, overblown, overrated clown. And that band of his? Don't get me started.

Best lead singers:
Moz
Ian Curtis
Robert Smith
Thåström
Morten Harket

I spit on anyone nominating Freddie Mercury. Such an awful, overblown, overrated clown. And that band of his? Don't get me started.

Best lead singers:
Moz
Ian Curtis
Robert Smith
Thåström
Morten Harket

I think Freddie was talented.
But anyway here are some of my faves-

Morrissey/Bowie (reaching but he was with the spiders from mars)- I simply will not chose between them.
Scott Walker
Nico
Diana Ross (for her work with The Supremes)
Russell Mael
Bjork
Iggy Pop
Mark E Smith
Siouxsie
Ray Davis
Paul weller
Neil Young

Its rubbish that you only can chose people in bands, what about Elvis,Nancy Sinatra,Timi Yuro, Gil Scot Heron, Kate Bush,Aretha Franklin,Sandie Shaw, Edith Piaf, Amy Winehouse, Frank Sinartra, Roy Orbison etc

Last edited:
I think Freddie was talented.
But anyway here are some of my faves-

Morrissey/Bowie (reaching but he was with the spiders from mars)- I simply will not chose between them.
Scott Walker
Nico
Diana Ross (for her work with The Supremes)
Russell Mael
Bjork
Iggy Pop
Mark E Smith
Siouxsiehttp://forums.morrissey-solo.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1364859
Ray Davis
Paul weller
Neil Young

Its rubbish that you only can chose people in bands, what about Elvis,Nancy Sinatra,Timi Yuro, Gil Scot Heron, Kate Bush,Aretha Franklin,Sandie Shaw, Edith Piaf, Amy Winehouse, Frank Sinartra, Roy Orbison etc

Yeah, agree. If one were to choose singers who don't sing in bands I would have chosen Elvis, Frank, MJ, Marvin Gaye, Billy Fury, Leonard Cohen, Gil-Scott Heron...

Freddie Mercury was a staggeringly brilliant singer and a fine songwriter, who carried on recording amazing vocal performances whilst in the final throes of his battle with AIDS. He gets my vote, no question. And whilst I doubt you're seriously going to track me down and spit on me for saying so, if that were the price of expressing my opinion then I'd accept it gladly.

Freddie Mercury was a staggeringly brilliant singer and a fine songwriter, who carried on recording amazing vocal performances whilst in the final throes of his battle with AIDS. He gets my vote, no question. And whilst I doubt you're seriously going to track me down and spit on me for saying so, if that were the price of expressing my opinion then I'd accept it gladly.

I pity you for your common taste and I pity Freddie for his common artistry. Aids or no aids.
He should've toned down his over-the-top stage persona and the dramatics and put more thought into his lyrics and his idea of expressing himself.

The only person in the world who I will vote over Morrissey is Freddie Mercury! Sorry but it's true.

You have to admit, comparing the two, Freddie is a musical genius and an amazing singer. Moz is an amazing lyricist and has a nice voice. They are two different things but Freddie will always get my vote.

The only person in the world who I will vote over Morrissey is Freddie Mercury! Sorry but it's true.

You have to admit, comparing the two, Freddie is a musical genius and an amazing singer. Moz is an amazing lyricist and has a nice voice. They are two different things but Freddie will always get my vote.

Musical genius? f*** right off! Can't believe this...

:rofl:

I respect all opinions, but...can devoted to Morrissey be devoted to Freddy Mercury as well? It sounds strange. Freddy Mercury was an excellent singer and performer, no doubt, but he just says nothing to me about my life. Morrissey. He does

John Lennon, really. isn't it?

That's a choice one has to respect. But still, as a vocalist he is nowhere near Morrissey.

I wouldn't vote for Freddy but other than that, I totally agree with you. He was just great, a real icon. And his music always brings back fine memories of the 80s.

Another deeply flawed contest that won't decide anything and won't prove anything, and even if it did, wouldn't change anything.

Basically a waste of time, created as a desperate attempt to drive traffic to their website.

I've never been a Frurcury fan, nor a Jennon fan, nor a Jedward fan.

If you truly understand the Smiths and Morrissey, no one else will do. Morrissey is pop plus poetry. Going back to pop just doesn't cut it.

Still, at least Jedward have good hair, unlike Frurcury.

Back
Top Bottom