Was Morrissey right to call out Chinese eating habits given the current COVID 19 situation?

yes.

He was right to call out cruelty, but to link it to Covid is beyond his, my, your or anyone else's ken, and it is unhelpful, speculative and divisive to suggest otherwise.

Oh what a unique thread! Why don't we also start one where we can discuss if Mike Joyce was right suing Morrissey? Perhaps ranking the studio albums?

No. It was one of the most stupid things he ever said. If he had maybe worded his opinion differently and explained in a rational way how there are some places in China where animals are treated horribly, etc., then it would have likely been a much more positive outcome. But his ill-thought out statement was flat out racist and completely untrue. You can't label over a billion of people a "subspecies" because of the unfortunate customs/behaviours of some. And what does this have to do with Covid really? Yes, the first major outbreak occurred in China, but we still don't really know where it actually came from yet. Don't forget they've detected Covid in European patients back in late 2019.

He was right to call out cruelty, but to link it to Covid is beyond his, my, your or anyone else's ken, and it is unhelpful, speculative and divisive to suggest otherwise.
The fact is Morrissey pointed out China’s horrid animal culture back in 2010 and how dangerous and cruel it is and eyes were rolled by many including you and he was labelled a racist. Fast forward 10 years in the midst of a global pandemic potentially caused by wet markets in Wuhan, China, I don’t think it’s an ‘unhelpful’ or crazy idea to discuss whether or not China should murder less animals and give Morrissey some credit for highlighting the issue a decade ago. Then again maybe you enjoy pandemics...

F**k me sideways....I never thought I'd see the day I agreed with Skinny Milinky Lang Legs. But credit where credit's due etc etc.

No. It was one of the most stupid things he ever said. If he had maybe worded his opinion differently and explained in a rational way how there are some places in China where animals are treated horribly, etc., then it would have likely been a much more positive outcome. But his ill-thought out statement was flat out racist and completely untrue. You can't label over a billion of people a "subspecies" because of the unfortunate customs/behaviours of some. And what does this have to do with Covid really? Yes, the first major outbreak occurred in China, but we still don't really know where it actually came from yet. Don't forget they've detected Covid in European patients back in late 2019.
How can you possibly say what Morrissey said is untrue? Are you suggesting China is an animal loving country that doesn’t roast dogs for lunch? As for COVID clearly you’re more informed than the World Health Organisation, maybe you should let them know.

There's a bus coming...

The bus is for anyone concerned about something on this rock.

Morrissey will jump on any bus to promote himself and his "brand".

When the Black Lives Matter bus arrived at Morrissey's stop, Morrissey just sat on the bench.

He didn't get on the bus.

Didn't want to know.

However, if a BLM protester was shot dead by a cop, and that dead protester had a Morrissey T-Shirt on, Morrissey would've posted that on Morrissey Central.

Because Morrissey promotes Morrissey.

The band stay silent.

Shame on them.

There's a bus coming...

When the Black Lives Matter bus arrived at Morrissey's stop, Morrissey just sat on the bench.

Didn't want to know.

However, if a BLM protester was shot dead by a cop, and that dead protester had a Morrissey T-Shirt on, Morrissey would've posted that on Morrissey Central.

The band stay silent.

Shame on them.
No idea what this has to do to with the topic at hand. I believe your post is referencing the content of Morrissey Central. Morrissey Central is not operated by Morrissey, Morrissey has very little input.

How can you possibly say what Morrissey said is untrue? Are you suggesting China is an animal loving country that doesn’t roast dogs for lunch?

I'm not saying that China is an "animal-loving country," but for that matter, how are places like Europe or the US, where billions of cows, chickens, pigs, etc., are slaughtered every year? Because we keep dogs as pets rather than cows, that somehow makes us superior? Weak argument.
As for COVID clearly you’re more informed than the World Health Organisation, maybe you should let them know.
Again, there is no proof that Covid-19 came from China, or Wuhan in particular. What we know is that Wuhan is where the first outbreak occurred. There is no definitive proof that it originated in China, or Wuhan, although it's very possible; we don't know the true answer yet.

"The initial investigation in Wuhan will inform longer-term studies into the pandemic’s origins, which could take investigators outside China. “Where an epidemic is first detected does not necessarily reflect where it started,” the WHO report states, noting preliminary reports of viral RNA detected in sewage samples before the first cases had been identified.

This statement could refer to a study1, posted on the preprint server medRxiv without peer review, which retrospectively tested Spanish sewage samples from March 2019 and found SARS-CoV-2 fragments, says Raina MacIntyre, an epidemiologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. “If this study was correct, we have to ask how the virus was in Spain in March last year,” she says."
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03165-9

I'm not saying that China is an "animal-loving country," but for that matter, how are places like Europe or the US, where billions of cows, chickens, pigs, etc., are slaughtered every year? Because we keep dogs as pets rather than cows, that somehow makes us superior? Weak argument.

Again, there is no proof that Covid-19 came from China, or Wuhan in particular. What we know is that Wuhan is where the first outbreak occurred. There is no definitive proof that it originated in China, or Wuhan, although it's very possible; we don't know the true answer yet.

"The initial investigation in Wuhan will inform longer-term studies into the pandemic’s origins, which could take investigators outside China. “Where an epidemic is first detected does not necessarily reflect where it started,” the WHO report states, noting preliminary reports of viral RNA detected in sewage samples before the first cases had been identified.

This statement could refer to a study1, posted on the preprint server medRxiv without peer review, which retrospectively tested Spanish sewage samples from March 2019 and found SARS-CoV-2 fragments, says Raina MacIntyre, an epidemiologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. “If this study was correct, we have to ask how the virus was in Spain in March last year,” she says."
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03165-9

There's no proof because it's China. Why would they want that the truth revealed?

There's a bus coming...

Didn't want to know.

The band stay silent.

Shame on them.

f*** BLM.

I think trying to compare US and European food culture with China is laughable and shows you need to do more research. Of course Europe and the US slaughter cows, pigs, chickens etc which is horrific and needs changing but there are massive amounts of restrictions, laws, research around what animals can be sold to avoid the very scenario we are now in. China and also India don’t have these restrictions or regulations and can treat animals however they like and gorge themselves on which ever animal they happen to stumble upon, essentially they have no compassion or respect for animals which is very dangerous as we are finding out. I have never seen barbecued bats or python meat on offer in butchers windows in the US or Europe, so yes there is a massive difference between eating regulated, tested chicken and eating and trading unstudied, untested exotic rare animals.
China’s treatment and relationship with animals was an accident waiting to happen, Morrissey acknowledged this years ago and people didn’t listen they just lazily accused him of being racist. I’m saddened and shocked people still have their heads in the sand today in 2021 despite having survived 2020.

How could anyone look at the mess that is Central & think if was branding or bandwagoning???

There was however a lot of BLM related posts focusing on police brutality.

It's never wrong to call out cruelty. Moz wasn't the first to allege Covid came from wet markets.

How could anyone look at the mess that is Central & think if was branding or bandwagoning???

There was however a lot of BLM related posts focusing on police brutality.

Could you compile Morrissey Central links that focused on Black Lives Matter? Please omit any links that contain Morrissey related T-shirts, tattoos and decals.

f*** BLM.
Your lil picture shows you in a duffel coat, this swiftly swished to one side, then you have the misfortune to look like Simon Mayo....
Two awful looks in one minute photo, even I would never be you ...
BUT....
now your gonna buy me half a lager n lime .....
The duffel coat upon reflection suits
😬😬😬😬

Back
Top Bottom