What age is everyone and how did you get into Morrissey / The Smiths

Man Afraid

Hi, i just thought id ask how what age everyone is and how they got into The Smiths/Morrissey.

I am 19 and i remember a couple of years back when i heard 'first of the gang to die' on the radio and thought it was a superb song. 2 years passed and i never thought anything more of morrissey until i started to talking to a guy from England, we got onto the conversation of music etc and he mentioned The Smiths and Morrissey. Needless to say i downloaded a few songs and absolutely loved the music, i have since bought every cd i could afford in hmv of the smiths and have a couple of morrissey cd's, i also went to see morrissey in glasgow carling academy which i thoroughly enjoyed. Also i was just wondering why the smiths broke up ?

Just a random fact for all those even remotely interested, The Smiths recorded Rank on the day i was born, October 23rd 1986, i was really pleased to find something like that out to be honest :) :)

I am 21 and i got into Morrissey about a year ago when i got YATQ. Then i got into his older stuff and i am loving Ringleaders at the moment.

as much as i shame to admit it, i'm thirteen. i became a fan last year thanks to my delightful social studies teacher, Andrew. he always played moz music in the middle of class and i recall him holding up the "meat is murder" album during a discussion about the econmy of the music industry. a few days later, i bought the "singles" album and then i came to be interested in moz's solo music. that's my testimony.

ok so i only got into Moz in 2004 when YATQ came out, i fell in love with 'Let Me Kiss You' but i didnt really get into the music i was still bouncing shamefully to urban:o then this new teacher started in my final year so i was 15 turning 16 at the time, and all he would talk about was music and he lent me Your Arsenal, and it went from there, just fell in love with the music and lyrics. has so much meaning:o so really 2 years, but i know i have missed out bigtime:(

hey, I'm 20 and I got into Morrissey through randomly buying his greatest hits while on holiday in America in 2001, i was a big cure fan at the time, i had heard of the smiths/morrissey but hated them because i was a cure fan (you know the rivalry thing) but when i first listened to the Morirssey compilation i switched sides completely, been the same for the past 5 years =)

I'll be 8 years old in June. Mr. Proper's throwing a party to celebrate arriving at my sexual peak. He says that we are having ice cream, and later he is going to play Pin The Tail On The Donkey.

He even invited Donald!

Donald

i got into Mozzer when i was 15.
That was 1992.
and never thought that i could live so long then.

I became ill with this obsession about 8 years ago (I'm now 22).
I listened to my older sister's copy of The Queen is Dead, then spent all of my meager after-school job income on smiths and moz records. They really did get me through adolescence.
I thought I was healed after I acquired a boyfriend. I then didn't listen to or think about moz for years (although when I heard his voice in my head I thought of him kindly) until recently when I unexpectedly relapsed after watching a smiths live video online.
Rubber Ring is my favorite smiths lyric.

I'm 25 and got into Moz about 3 years ago. I was looking for an album in the "S" section of Woolies when I saw "Rank" for £3.99. I remembered somebody telling me that The Smiths were the greatest band ever, so I thought that £3.99 wasn't a lot of money if he was wrong. Turns out he was right. Luckily the first Moz solo album I bought was Vauxhall and I, so I'm one of the lucky ones who's first was "Now My Heart Is Full". :)

Man Afraid said:
Hi, i just thought id ask how what age everyone is and how they got into The Smiths/Morrissey.

I am 19 and i remember a couple of years back when i heard 'first of the gang to die' on the radio and thought it was a superb song. 2 years passed and i never thought anything more of morrissey until i started to talking to a guy from England, we got onto the conversation of music etc and he mentioned The Smiths and Morrissey. Needless to say i downloaded a few songs and absolutely loved the music, i have since bought every cd i could afford in hmv of the smiths and have a couple of morrissey cd's, i also went to see morrissey in glasgow carling academy which i thoroughly enjoyed. Also i was just wondering why the smiths broke up ?

Just a random fact for all those even remotely interested, The Smiths recorded Rank on the day i was born, October 23rd 1986, i was really pleased to find something like that out to be honest :) :)

what a coincidence, my birthday is the day before yours!
i used to watch old smiths TOTP appearances on TOTP2 when i was a kid and i was intruiged and thought they looked and sounded good and i decided to bear them in mind as a band i ought to check out one day. i had a vague idea of their history and knew that moz was in the smiths, i had a book about music (the Top Ten Irreverent Guide To Music!) which mentioned them. but i kept on forgetting to check them out.
then moz did YATQ and i saw it around and considered getting it but didnt as my mum would probably hate it (he played a gig near my town and i asked her if i could go and she said, "no, you dont want to go, hes depressing!" - i dont think she actually knew who he was or heard him or anything, she was just going by hearsay). i heard "first of the gang" and "this charming man" on MTV2 and really liked them and decided i'd get some smiths/moz records, but later, not now, cos i was busy with exams. then i heard "how soon is now?" on MTV2 and loved it and i just HAD to get their records now! i went to the library the next day and borrowed "the very best of the smiths" and bought YATQ and "suedehead" very cheaply on eBay, and been obsessed ever since.

I am ashamed to let everone know my age, you will all think I am very sad, but I just love the man. I am so much older than all you young puupies!!!!
I fell in love with him after seeing a documentary on channel 4 a couple of years ago about him called "The importance of being Morrissey". Then heard the song "There is a light that never goes out" on the radio and had to buy all his/Smiths albums, completely hooked now. Went to see him at Ali Palace, trying to get tickets for 28th May London Palladium.:)

I'm fortyish and I'm in no way ashamed! Most of you pups would look upon Mr. Morrissey in a handsome uncle type way, I guess. But to me, he's only a little bit older than me.

I am 40 I got into the Smiths way back in 1984 when i used to listen to the John Peel show on radio one When i heard hand in glove getting played i was hooked. I attended my first Smiths gig at the Queen Margaret Uni (Glasgow) in 1984 and have not missed a Glasgow gig since. I got to see the Smiths in the Royal Albert Hall which was something special and something i will never forget. I will never tell Morrissey what to sing on tour as it is up to him what the setlist is (as all the Smiths/Morrissey songs are top drawer i would be happy at the end of the gig no matter what he played) but if it was up to me out of the smiths songs he sings at a gig i would like to hear hand in glove or handsome devil live again as i feel that these songs is what made the smiths what they are today. If he can go as far back as Still Ill im sure he can go back to his debut single.

I am 28 and I first heard Morrissey in 1997. Hairdresser on Fire, at first I was a bit indifferent, but now Morrissey/Smiths dominates my collection! My wife to be was the one to introduce them to me, see we are meant to be. :D My first album was Hatful of Hollow, I still dont know if this album has been surpassed on my favorite list.

zom

Back
Top Bottom