What does everyone think of the new songs?

Bluebirds

I still haven't listened to the performance. Work and age gets in the way.
Would like to know what you think of the songs, albeit in a live setting?

They're ok without being mind blowing. Let's wait and see how the album versions sound.
All the young people..starts off promising, then it's just constant repetition for the last 2mins. It's the repetition of lyrics I don't like. Morrissey has had 3 years to write some good stuff and can't fill 3 mins of a song without repeating the same thing over and over. His songs used to be story telling, they'd unveil things and develop as they went on, but they just go nowhere now. Also I don't like when the title of the song ends up being the first line of the song, (spent the day, I wish you, jackies only happy) It's always seemed lazy to me. But most disappointng of all, his songs have stopped meaning anything to me, Who the f***'s Jackie and why should I care about her?

ignore anonymous fools above,the new songs are fantastic and get better with each listen,each one is on youtube.

ignore anonymous fools above,the new songs are fantastic and get better with each listen,each one is on youtube.

That's your opinion Gordyboy, but calling people fools because they because they don't like the new music, what's all that about? I personally think the new stuff is average, at best.

i completely agree. was listening to "wish you lonely" this morning in a quiet moment, and it really seized me. i liked the powerful whale-part at the end. so, i am looking forward to mid-november

if anonymous wants to be recognised on here then register like the rest of us.theres three anonymous posts above and we don't know if its the same person,the first said the new songs were rubbish which quite clearly they are not,almost all troll posts on here are by anonymous so why take them seriously.if your pissed by me calling anonymous a fool then I take it back but everything else stands.

if anonymous wants to be recognised on here then register like the rest of us.theres three anonymous posts above and we don't know if its the same person,the first said the new songs were rubbish which quite clearly they are not,almost all troll posts on here are by anonymous so why take them seriously.if your pissed by me calling anonymous a fool then I take it back but everything else stands.

'GordyBoy9' isn't the name on your birth certificate, so you are just as anonymous as anyone posting without some made up user name. Your opinion is just as valid or worthless as the next poster.

They are decent IMO, 'Spent' sounds better live and benfits from repeat listens.
My main issue is however that he does not seem to be writing the way he used to, his recent songs are lacking the real punch of melodrama involved with the aspects ofveveryday life that I fell in love with.
Even his past political songs (Headmaster/NF Disco/Irish Blood) seemed to be grounded in a sense of reality.

Spent the day in bed has been a grower, I thought it was awful when I first heard it, but now I think it's great.

Not a big fan of the other ones that were played at the BBC, except All the young people... which I think is pretty good.

Love the vocal melody on when you open your legs. Jacky is the weakest so far imo. Spent the day is a grower day by day, sounding spot on live.

Not only are his songs utterly, utterly shite now, but he's become a bitter, gurning Ukipper with less than zero of the warmth and soul he used to display in The Smiths and during the first part of his solo career.

No wonder he wants to stay in bed.

I'm simply whelmed. Neither over- nor underwhelmed. It was about what I expected from Morrissey in 2017 following in the wake of World Peace Is None Of Your Business. My ear prefers "I Wish You Lonely" and "Home Is A Question Mark" (albeit less the BELLS). The latter makes me exceptionally curious to hear Mando's other composition, as there is a sweet tone to the latter that is redolent of Alain Whyte's slower, softer compositions. Whereas "When You Open Your Legs" makes me quite glad that there is only one other Jesse Tobias composition. It feels like a concatenation of "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet" and "When Last I Spoke To Carol" - as such, it is the median between the dire and grand. Boz, as usual, provides variety, but "All The Young People" tries too hard to be a knees-up singalong. For me, a barroom piano is a bridge too far in a Morrissey song. Let's leave that for Bob Seger, thanks.

Does anyone else feel, lyrically, that "Jacky..." is essentially "Girl Least Likely To" with amateur dramatics substituting for poetry?

Last edited:
Not only are his songs utterly, utterly shite now, but he's become a bitter, gurning Ukipper with less than zero of the warmth and soul he used to display in The Smiths and during the first part of his solo career.

No wonder he wants to stay in bed.
I was thinking the same thing. I think he is doing the music just to avoid the inevitable retirement activities like golfing and such.

'GordyBoy9' isn't the name on your birth certificate, so you are just as anonymous as anyone posting without some made up user name. Your opinion is just as valid or worthless as the next poster.

Sorry to say you are utterly wrong. Gordyboy9 is not anonynous at all. S/he has a name, it doesn't matter if it's the name of the firth certificate or a pen name used just to post here. All the anonymous people who post here don't use a name, that's why they are anonymous.

I'll explain you why

AN (Greek) --> without

ONOMA (Greek) --> name

ANONUMOS (Greek) --> nameless

Anonymous means nameless.

Last edited:
Have listened to the new songs a fair few times since Monday by now.
Here is my 'chart' (so far):

1. Home Is A Question Mark - a really solid Morrissey song, reminiscent of his mid 90s material
2. I Wish You Lonely - very good
3. Jacky - just ok at the moment, though I sense it will grow on me
4. When You Open Your Legs - ditto
5. Spent The Day In Bed - not my cup of tea, HATE that keyboard (though I admit it's a catchy song overall)
6. All The Young People - awful, there is just no excuse for this song

Based on what we have heard so far, I believe Low In High School will be a better album than World Peace, which pleases me no end.

Back
Top Bottom