What Happened to Morrissey? Part 2 - read on

I'm getting sick of this guy's stupid opinion and disrespect for Morrissey. Only Moz chooses his music writers and he does it because he can connect with them. Do you really think Morrissey would cooperate with The Edge? If Moz doesn't like a song Alain or Boz has written he does not make lyrics for it!

Blimey, what's sort of the new ideas are you talking bout?
you want Mozzer singing along drum-n-bass, trip-hop, disco or whatever? Sod that.
Boz still is the Captain and if you do not like him, well you should be first to drown.

It all comes down to opinions I guess. My first opinion is that is is pretentious to have started a second thred on this topic and second is that the Edge and the guy from Coldplay don't do it for me. I also enjoy Quarry and ROTT very much. To be frank I think the guy who started this thread has little in the way of musical knowledge as he picks guitarists from HUGE bands and champions them as THEE choices. Dig a little deeper "friend." How about Bernard Butler, John Squire, Stephin Merrit, Graham Coxon or someone INTERESTING. Just an opinion. Final thought, don't under any circumstances, start a third thread.

Queen Victoria said:
What are you guys, f***ing Communists or something?

I should drown because I think Morrissey can do better?

Excellent! :D

Cant see anything wrong in the music personally!

You have Killed Me is very Catchy

Morricones Strings on Dear God are Gorgeous

Pigsty is a Wonderful arrangement

I could go on but cant be arsed!

MORRISSEY HAS CHANGED! SO WHAT! THATS GOOD!

As somebody pointed out he could hardly be singing about Rusholme at his age could he, no more than Madonna could be singing 'Like A Virgin' these days, although I dont know how she had the f***ing cheek to sing about being like a virgin in 1984! :p

Last edited:
Why do we degenerate into a cyber handbag fight so quickly on these things?

Why are some so unable to read a view on Moz that isn't adoring?

Is the new album going to be called Chairman Mao is me?

This guy Lukeheart is making a point, whether we agree or not with it, how 'bout some reasoned debate...or is it too much to ask?

bauer24 said:

As somebody pointed out he could hardly be singing about Rusholme at his age could he, no more than Madonna could be singing 'Like A Virgin' these days, although I dont know how she had the f***ing cheek to sing about being like a virghin in 1984! :p

Not a fan of YHKM. Agree completely on the stroings comment and Pigsty is certainly the standout track on the ROTT. It is good that he's changed but it isn't good that, for me, his output is emotionally weaker overall.

Love the Madonna comment.

Re: What happened to Morrissey? Discuss

Worm said:
Name me another artist who achieved greatness after one debut album and still retained that level of brilliance 23 years into his career. You can't. There isn't one.
Van Halen?

First album set them as being the premier rock band of their generation and every album sold more than the last up until recently. The guitarist is rated as the greatest of his generation, the drummer similarly and the first frontman spawned a million copycats.

Now you may hate that sort of music but that's not the point, critically, sales wise and according to their fan base they have maintained their level of brilliance for nearly 30 years. As I say, that was until recently but then again not everyone would agree that Moz has maintained his level of brilliance either.

That's Enough For Me said:
It is good that he's changed but it isn't good that, for me, his output is emotionally weaker overall.

And that my friend is the point. It is not good for YOU! and I accept and respect your opinion.

I for one dont think I am right in any of this at all. I am just making my opinion clear in regards to original posters comments. After all he did ask us to 'discuss'

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

lukehart said:
I just signed into this forum just to get this off my chest. I love Morrissey, he was a God when he was in The Smiths and from Viva Hate to Maladjusted and all the b-side rarities albums too, I thought his solo career was really good too. A bit patchy with Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted but most of those two albums were good with only a couple of lame ducks. He then went away for 7 years and I thought "Oh wow, 7 years away he must have really taken the time out to write the best album of his career". The hype of his return seemed to confirm this. But YATQ was dull, so repetitive was his lyrics and the songs all seemed to drag on as he crooned. Then ROTT was announced, Tony Visconti producing and Moz had left L.A - finally could this be his great return? Alas no. Sure it was better than YATQ but not by much. So what's happened to our beloved Morrissey? Feel free to discuss but my 2 cents is Moz needs to get rid of Alan Whyte and Boz Boorer and bring in younger fresher songwriters, maybe get special guests in - The Edge, Coldplay's Jonny Buckland. Personally I'd love to see Echo and the Bunnymen's Will Sergeant team up with him, especially after Echo's great album of last year "Siberia". Moz needs to rock out more, not so many droopy ballads next time. P.S don't bash me when replying, I love Morrissey but I just think he can do better, he needs to make another Vauxhall & I. Quite frankly I think alot of Morrissey fans deep down agree with me.

You are harking back to the past and no-one would blame you for that. Remember 'get off the stage', Moz isnt going to be a 50 year old trying to rock, he has too much class for that. You wouldnt see Elvis once he turned 30 and expect to hear rock and roll would you??? Moz is from that tradition of maturing and refining. He has become a crooner and I respect him for it. If more people followed suit we wouldnt have to watch so many pot bellied men out of breath trying to 'rock':D

bauer24 said:

But don't you think "I'll Never Be Anyone's Hero Now" suffers from a generic Boz/Alain backing? Imagine what that song could become with a guitarist of Marr's talents on it.

Why do we degenerate into a cyber handbag fight so quickly on these things?

Why are some so unable to read a view on Moz that isn't adoring?

Because:

1. He felt the need for TWO threads to say all this; and
2. He suggested The Edge and some Coldplay jack-off!

Theo said:
But don't you think "I'll Never Be Anyone's Hero Now" suffers from a generic Boz/Alain backing? Imagine what that song could become with a guitarist of Marr's talents on it.

Maybe but

1) All albums from any artist have their weak points

2) there are more talented guitarists than Johnny Marr

3) Johnny isnt coming back, that time has gone

4) even Johnny Marr has his weak moments (The The's Mindbomb springs to mind)

With Respect

bauer24 said:
Maybe but

1) All albums from any artist have their weak points

2) there are more talented guitarists than Johnny Marr

3) Johnny isnt coming back, that time has gone

4) even Johnny Marr has his weak moments (The The's Mindbomb springs to mind)

With Respect

Yeah, there are more talented guitarists than Marr, and I'm not saying he should record with Marr again. But Marr had a rather original style that was stunningly beautiful, and it's better to have two geniuses in a band than one.
I'd enjoy listening to most of the Smiths' songs even if you removed the vocals. I can only say that about a few of the songs from his solo catalog.

Coldplay are the most bland borind insipid band on the planet. "The Edge" is a pure rock cornball. Why don't you post your "insightful" views on a Coldplay or U2 board?

Theo said:
Yeah, there are more talented guitarists than Marr, and I'm not saying he should record with Marr again. But Marr had a rather original style that was stunningly beautiful, and it's better to have two geniuses in a band than one.
I'd enjoy listening to most of the Smiths' songs even if you removed the vocals. I can only say that about a few of the songs from his solo catalog.

Agreed the two complimented each other very well. It was a partnership made in heaven.

I often wonder how things would be if they were still writing together and like anybody else would love to see them do something in the future.

Dear Morissey Fans,

Let's look at the facts. Firstly. this guy has made a pointless part two to his dull arguement. Why? Because he has nothing else going on in his life and his ego needs it. Secondly, he likes U2 and Coldplay. Don't be angry with him. Pity him. The day I have any music by those middle-of-the-road dullards in my record collection is the day Hitler and Snoop Dog make a charity single together.

bauer24 said:
Agreed the two complimented each other very well. It was a partnership made in heaven.

I often wonder how things would be if they were still writing together and like anybody else would love to see them do something in the future.

I don't know if their partnership would've worked for too many more albums because I think Marr would've wanted their sound to go into directions (more in line with what was getting popular in the late 80s and early 90s) that Morrissey wouldn't have been done with.

As a sidenote: I'm not posting as many negative comments on "Ringleader" anymore for the simple fact that I'm more accepting of the album now. It may not be a masterpiece, but ever since I took a couple weeks away from it and then started playing it again, I'm enjoying it more for what it is.

Van Halen?

I don't mind Van Halen at all. Their early records are pretty good, and of course that's exactly why I think they prove my point and not yours.

However, to address your post, I would counter that Van Halen suffered a staggering blow when David Lee Roth left, and while they recovered and did well with Hagar, they were felled by a lethal one when they went with the Extreme guy as lead singer. So, in my view, you're looking at greatness (if you like that sort of music) for about 13 years, a few years of treading water, and then collapse*.

In reality that's an incredible resume-- seriously. Maybe we should rethink the idea of a rock band's longevity. Maybe these bands aren't supposed to last very long. The industry seems rigged against it.

In short, as I argued above, maybe Morrissey's later career must be evaluated in a different light than his early work, which lukehart seems unwilling or unable to do.

* Interestingly, if you match up that length of time with Morrissey's timeline, you get-- roughly-- "Hand In Glove" to "Maladjusted" and the end of his record deal. It's also the Morrissey/Marr story in reverse: one guitar genius (Eddie Van Halen) working with different singers, yielding different results. Hmmm. Morrissey/Van Halen anyone?

Back
Top Bottom