What Happened to Morrissey? Part 2 - read on

Danny said:
It's very different to Marr's in your face style but it says a lot for Alain's lack of ego.

Oh, so it's only ego he's lacking in comparison to Marr? I thought it was something else...

this has been a painfully long thread to read. full of both intelligence and idiocy.

Re: What happened to Morrissey? Discuss

Quite frankly I think alot of Morrissey fans deep down agree with me.[/QUOTE]

Well I am not so sure about that statement. Although you are,of course,entitled to the rest of your opinion.Maybe some agree... but would that be on this forum??
My point of view is that Morrissey sometimes speaks to my soul, sometimes he makes me laugh, sometimes its just a sing-a-long sometimes I just like the song for the song for the singing/ music and yet it doesnt really speak to me. I dont expect so much of him that every song he writes will have deep meaning to me, some do, some dont. I respect that fact that he writes from his heart and soul not to mine. There is rarely a song that i dont like.. but I want him to change to grow and make different music and unless he became a born again Christian singing hymns I cant see me not wanting to listen to what he has to say..:cool:

Look, I almost gagged when I saw Coldplay mentioned on the first post in here.
As far as I'm concerned Morrissey is pretty cool still, and if anyone in here doesn't like him, well, w.t.f are they doing in here anyway?

I don't see why some of you are responding so harshly to lukehart's comments about Edgle and Coldplay. I'm not a fan of U2 or Coldplay either. Nor do I think they would be good choices for Moz. But I was a bit surprised at the general attitude alot of you expressed toward the guy. there's no need to be snooty just because you happen to be more of a musical connisuer (sp?) than him (although he claims otherwise). Remember, not everyone buries their head in music mags, and blows money and time searching for breakthrough bands. If that's your thing, then that's your thing. But alot of people simply don't have the time, resources, or the interest.

When you come across relatives or anyone else in a social situation, do you immeditaly belittle them if they dare mention that they like a top 40 group? Why not just kindly nudge them in a better direction?

Anyhow, I just think it shows a greater level of maturity to simply disagree gracefully rather than slam someone for liking something that is "mainstream". It's kind of like someone coming into your house and slamming your dvd collection because it's not on par with Kubrick or something.

There, I vented :)

Last edited:
wrender said:
I don't see why some of you are responding so harshly to lukehart's comments about Edgle and Coldplay. I'm not a fan of U2 or Coldplay either. Nor do I think they would be good choices for Moz. But I was a bit surprised at the general attitude alot of you expressed toward the guy. there's no need to be snooty just because you happen to be more of a musical connisuer (sp?) than him (although he claims otherwise). Remember, not everyone buries their head in music mags, and blows money and time searching for breakthrough bands. If that's your thing, then that's your thing. But alot of people simply don't have the time, resources, or the interest.

When you come across relatives or anyone else in a social situation, do you immeditaly belittle them if they dare mention that they like a top 40 group? Why not just kindly nudge them in a better direction?

Anyhow, I just think it shows a greater level of maturity to simply disagree gracefully rather than slam someone for liking something that is "mainstream". It's kind of like someone coming into your house and slamming your dvd collection because it's not on par with Kubrick or something.

There, I vented :)

People responded like that because the guy is obviously a troll. He's just registered in order to start a thread slagging Morrissey off in the hope he could wind people up.

Danny said:
People responded like that because the guy is obviously a troll. He's just registered in order to start a thread slagging Morrissey off in the hope he could wind people up.

If you call that "slagging off", then I really don't know what to say. He just said he didn't care much for Morrissey's last two albums, which I'm sure many fans agree with.

draize_train said:
If you call that "slagging off", then I really don't know what to say. He just said he didn't care much for Morrissey's last two albums, which I'm sure many fans agree with.

You don't call this slagging off?

"Well aren't Moz fans a bunch of jerks. First of all I have more indie records in my 2,884 record collection than all you pricks. I chose The Edge and Coldplay because patronizingly I thought you'd know them but not a guitarist for some early 90's UK indie band that sold a combined 10,000 records. You know I like The Edge's guitar playing and if you technophobic 50's revivalist c***s don't like a bit of "experimenting" (ooh dirty word for all you 30+ fat f***s ) then piss off. And quite frankly Coldplay are a great band - oh but because they're mainstream they're shit? Bitter that The Smiths never sold 30 million albums are we? You know Morrissey is a beloved social outsider, how ironic that most of his fans are bullying assholes who make people want to be social outsiders. So while all of you get old and fat listening to Morrissey become a pale imitation of Vegas Elvis - I'll be listening to new young bands with - oh no! keyboards! ( and even worse memorable songs )."

Where he revealed his true colours as a Coldplay fan who had merely registered in order to wind people up?

Danny said:
You don't call this slagging off?

Where he revealed his true colours as a Coldplay fan who had merely registered in order to wind people up?

He didn't say that anywhere. That was mostly slagging off Morrissey's fans, anyway. Dissenting opinion on a forum is good.

Dissenting opinion is fine when it's genuine. It's just a bore when it's someone obviously trying to wind people up. And they always make it so obvious too.

wrender said:

connoisseur

My impression: I've listened to lots of new indie bands, mainstream and not-so-mainstream, but the fact is that their music doesn't last. They're good for fun, but Moz and The Smiths are good for soul :o Pathetic, I know...

For the attention of future 'posters' wanting to compare artist to artist - It can't be done! They are all unique in their own special way. Who cares if they're good or bad? If you like 'em you like 'em, if you don't you don't. At least they've got the guts to give it a go! I don't care what Moz sings - he can sing me the ingredients from a Holland and Barrett Porkless Pie if he likes! (-By the way, very nice!)

All I want to do is enjoy the music! :)

(Should I really go on to say that U2 are my favourite artists (live) after Moz/Smiths ?! )

handsome devil said:
I also disagree... How can anyone of U2, and especially of Coldplay, contribute to Morrissey's work. They are both bad bands. He is way ahead of them.

To me both of his last two albums are great. They are different than the ones before in a way that he has now matured and has found the best way to completely express himself. His career is at it's best, and I'm glad for that.

I think I love the man more now than ever.

Excuse me , but how can anyone compare Coldplay and u2? u2 are pure beauty until 97. But i wouldnt mix up Moz with Edge(i love them both equally)

Back
Top Bottom