What song are you listening to right now?

Relient k - local construction

Relient k - wake up call

I’ve always liked this guy. Even in his days of Christian pop punk like wake up call I always thought he was at least sincere in his songs about depression and Jesus. He wasn’t being dramatic he just sounded sad even when he was supposed to be happy now that god gave him a wake up call. He kinda ocellates between these two poles for a while but along the way he made some good songs. I remember liking mhmm which was supposed to allude to the band taking all mentions of god or Jesus out of the songs and just singing about the values he thought they represented. He was actually interested in talking about the substance to non fanatics and even if that didn’t make the songs any deeper I did find it very endearing. He seemed to be trying really hard to be honest and tread a fine line in two scenes that were probably a little hostile to him (while both claiming inclusivity) ie the skate punk and Christian music scenes. I appreciate outsiders especially those who may get overlooked

The replacements - darlin one

The replacements - talent show

This was recorded by Matt Wallace who thought he was gonna mix it but learned that it was gonna go to some glossy 80s producer which ruined the album. I had no idea how badly until now as he’s just restored his mix and wow I’ve never felt such a change in an album. Made me like it even more so than pleased to meet me. Last album where a reissue got me this badly was the reissue of pavements crooked rain

The replacements - darlin one

The replacements - talent show

This was recorded by Matt Wallace who thought he was gonna mix it but learned that it was gonna go to some glossy 80s producer which ruined the album. I had no idea how badly until now as he’s just restored his mix and wow I’ve never felt such a change in an album. Made me like it even more so than pleased to meet me. Last album where a reissue got me this badly was the reissue of pavements crooked rain

Gonna have to give this thing a listen.
Can't believe it'll be better than Pleased To Meet Me though.
Well if it is, that's really sayin' somethin'.

Gonna have to give this thing a listen.
Can't believe it'll be better than Pleased To Meet Me though.
Well if it is, that's really sayin' somethin'.

Im a giant replacements westerberg fan and for me it used to stop at pleased to meet me. Listening to dead mans pop it feels like the album is a little closer to Tim. A maybe more subdued Tim but the ache and humorous exuberance that replacement albums started to lack is somehow restored. The audible giggle and build in talent show to the new wave rhythm he’d later do on 14 songs like mannequin shop. Honestly it has more in common with 14 songs than pleased to meet me or maybe any other replacements album. I highly recommend you give it a shot in the new original sequence and original mix

The replacements

talent show

Talent show (dead mans pop)

It just feels so much more alive. To me don’t tell a soul felt like the less than version of pleased to meet me which was already an adjustment from let it be and Tim but hey it was still really good. Kinda like suedes coming up following dog man star. both of these later mats albums are also pop rock albums out and out. Dead mans pop makes the replacements sound like the rock and roll band they were on Tim and it brings out all of the best qualities in the songs. We’ll inherit the earth is still not the greatest but it at least sounds better here and really it made me focus on some of the songs lyrics some songs in general in ways I hadn’t before.

Striptease With A Difference

Revelation.jpg

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom