What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

The opening credits to Bachelor Mother on TCM. Let's do it, David Niven!

I think I read this book a year ago or so. He is not just escaping from the camp where he was born but also from another camp becoeuse of some stupid reason I don't remember anymore.
You think this is the best book you've ever read. I think it's bollocks and that this Shin is a liar.

- - - Updated - - -

13073624662.jpg

Absolutely fascinating. I really hope more autobiographies of the North Korea escapees are released. This was perhaps the best book I have ever read. The emotion and darkness that is impaled on these pages is just astounding. Basically Shin was born in a prisoners camp from "criminals" within the camp. Human value equals to 0 in the camp and people were more than frequently tortured and killed either on the spot or by execution. How on earth Shin escaped North Korea is beyond me. He's probably the most lucky human being in the 21st century. I really recommend this book.

I think I read this book a year ago or so. He is not just escaping from the camp where he was born but also from another camp becoeuse of some stupid reason I don't remember anymore.
You think this is the best book you've ever read. I think it's bollocks and that this Shin is a liar.

In Dreams Begin Responsibilities - Delmore Schwartz

Not quite as good as I'd hoped. I suppose reading Saul Bellow first perhaps lessened the impact.

I'm reading the book I wrote. :cool: Lorraine Peterson is just my noms de plume or however you spell that.

10291071_648125388575782_4079966481718848630_n.jpg

He escaped camp 14 and North Korea. If it really was fake then I'm sure someone would have blown the whistle on him. We do know he definitely got out of North Korea regardless of which camp (or home) as he had to get a fake visa.

He would definitely have to be sick in the head to write about his mother's and brothers execution and about how he was tortured. He goes into quite a lot of detail of how they tortured him and how he actually escaped North Korea altogether. I don't understand why someone would make it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
He escaped camp 14 and North Korea. If it really was fake then I'm sure someone would have blown the whistle on him. We do know he definitely got out of North Korea regardless of which camp (or home) as he had to get a fake visa.

He would definitely have to be sick in the head to write about his mother's and brothers execution and about how he was tortured. He goes into quite a lot of detail of how they tortured him and how he actually escaped North Korea altogether. I don't understand why someone would make it up.
Mikko was, likely, just trolling you Davie :o or an apologist for North Korea :eek:
either way, I too found Shin Dong Hyuk's story to be moving as well, there is a German documentary about it as well
"Camp 14–Total Control Zone" & plans for a feature film

As for me, got a hard copy of:
OryxAndCrake.jpg

its good, she has crept on me over the years to become one of my fave authors :guitar:

Last edited:
I'm about halfway through Mockingjay. I love this The Hunger Games, if you didn't notice. I'm enjoying it but the fact that it's the last of the trilogy makes me a bit sad.
Mockingjay.JPG

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, Issue 15.

7D89BE34-B22B-4FA5-833A-0742E6603BF3-428-000000784C0EA80C.jpg

133.gif

In translation.

A graphic novel of H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness. The artwork is really great. Imagine Hergé inked by Mike Mignola.

A graphic novel of H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness. The artwork is really great. Imagine Hergé inked by Mike Mignola.

On more than one occasion I had this in my hand at the library and put it back because it was one too many books to heft home on two trains in a backpack. I'll grab it first next time.

Culbards-At-The-Mountains-of-Madness-2.jpg

a-game-of-thrones.jpg

Hopefully I'll like it. If not... it's only 4.99.

Good buy...and someone responding to one of your posts, too! Heh. The 1st three books are absolutely f***ing amazing. Gets a bit dull books 4th and 5th wise - still good but those first three books in this series are without equal in the fantasy genre. Reading these makes you appreciate the HBO series all the more by the way.

I don't think I'll ever be accused of being a literary connoisseur, but what interests me is what I read. Simple interests I guess.
image.jpg

4f769b7d-51ce-47d5-b0d0-5531678860cc.jpg

New Penguin/Random House logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom